POP3 mail without 'Leave a copy of messages on server'

Question

I am troubleshooting an issue for a friend of mine.

Situation: a new notebook has been purchased and Office/Outlook is installed, configured with email.

For some reason all email has been gone from the webmail-environment (and thus Outlook as well).

On old system: POP3 settings, with 'Leave a copy of messages on server' ticked OFF (so emails are downloaded and removed from server)

New system: IMAP settings (in which, now, there are no messages/emails displayed)

The old and new systems were used and operated last week each displaying all mails. However, for some reason this has been changed.

Is there a way to get the old mails back onto the new machine/web environment?
Can a backup be made from the POP3 notebook and imported in the new one? (and have it synced somehow via IMAP-protocol?)

Or can the POP3 machine re-upload all mails to the mailserver? And how to do this?

4 answers to this question

Update:

For some strange reason the POP3 mail/messages seems to be disappearing... kinda strange (since these have been downloaded and should be in the pst-file from Outlook).

What can be the case? Is this an ISP/mail issue? Or just an old computer with its hickups?

Temp workaround is to disable WiFi, so no connection to the mailserver can be made... :cool::huh::ninja:

20 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

Update:

For some strange reason the POP3 mail/messages seems to be disappearing... kinda strange (since these have been downloaded and should be in the pst-file from Outlook).

What can be the case? Is this an ISP/mail issue? Or just an old computer with its hickups?

Temp workaround is to disable WiFi, so no connection to the mailserver can be made... :cool::huh::ninja:

I'd lean towards old computer with hiccups and/or possible corruption in the pst file.

I've always hated POP3 as a protocol. IMAP and now Exchange ActiveSync are far superior. /rant

edit: what email service is being used. depending on which service is in use you may be able to disable POP3 support by looking through the settings in the web email page. I know I can do that with outlook web (at least with my office 365 email; haven't looked on personal email yet)

20 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

I'd lean towards old computer with hiccups and/or possible corruption in the pst file.

I've always hated POP3 as a protocol. IMAP and now Exchange ActiveSync are far superior. /rant

edit: what email service is being used. depending on which service is in use you may be able to disable POP3 support by looking through the settings in the web email page. I know I can do that with outlook web (at least with my office 365 email; haven't looked on personal email yet)

A local ISP is used (Ziggo) in The Netherlands.

I also have a Ziggo-account, and I cannot find these settings.

I guess you are right on the "old computer with hiccups and/or possible corruption in the pst file."