'Smart' home devices (Alexa, Google, etc)

Question

+jnelsoninjax

I have recently started switching our light bulbs to smart bulbs that can be turned on/off via Google or Alexa. I have a Google home enabled clock and it seems to work about 75% of the time, but lately I find myself having to repeat the commands more than once. I chalk it up to the location the physical device is located. But I am wondering if there is any real differences between Google Home and Alexa? Does one do more than the other or have more features than the other?

5 answers to this question

Mindovermaster

I have the light bulbs from Ohlux and it is programmable by either you phone, Google Home or Alexa. From what I understand, you have to talk clearly and rather loudly to msake it work.

I haven't used Alexa yet, but I don't really think there is a difference.

My 2 cents.

Nick H.

I did some reading on this a while back, looking between Google and Alexa. At the time most of the articles I found put Alexa ahead for things like features, but I think Google won on flexibility and understanding of commands.

+jnelsoninjax
5 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I have the light bulbs from Ohlux and it is programmable by either you phone, Google Home or Alexa. From what I understand, you have to talk clearly and rather loudly to msake it work.

I haven't used Alexa yet, but I don't really think there is a difference.

My 2 cents.

The bulbs I have are also accessible via a cellphone app, but the issue is Google not understanding the commands.

Just now, Nick H. said:

I did some reading on this a while back, looking between Google and Alexa. At the time most of the articles I found put Alexa ahead for things like features, but I think Google won on flexibility and understanding of commands.

How well would they both work together? Would that cause more problems?

+warwagon

Did you put the light bulb on a guest network?

+jnelsoninjax
42 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Did you put the light bulb on a guest network?

No, we don't have a guest network