Powerline Ethernet Adapter for 1GB Internet Service

So, recently I've had to rearrange my home due to some medical issues with my wife.  My modem and router are in my living room and my PC is now in our bedroom.  I'm using wireless AC to connect to the internet, however now my speeds are cut from the normal 900+ Mbps to around 150 Mbps.  So, I'm thinking of using a powerline ethernet adapter (I've used one before but not at these higher speeds) and wondering if anyone else is using a Powerline adapter with their 1GB service?  (I'm in the United States).

Thanks for any helpful information.

newspeedtest.JPG

I'm guessing you can't run  any ethernet cable, then, correct?

how old is your house? if wiring is bad, you will get +150mbps speeds over powerline and unstable link. Nobody knows the right answer - buy & try it

ps: why do you need more than >90mbps?  i have 85mbps for 6 people and we have on 60% load

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

I'm guessing you can't run  any ethernet cable, then, correct?

Not really without crawling under the home and drilling.  

Your not going to get anything close to gig with powerline.. Even if they say they are 2ge ;)

Don't take this the wrong way.. But you were not getting 900 via AC either.. The only way to get those kind of speeds would be with AX..

Maybe you were seeing the PHY of 876, but real world that would be more like 400ish..

While I get that you want to see full capabilities.. What are trying to do over wifi that actually requires more than 144 your seeing?

14 minutes ago, BudMan said:

While I get that you want to see full capabilities.. What are trying to do over wifi that actually requires more than 144 your seeing?

High bitrate 4K 10bit HDR streaming uses way more https://jell.yfish.us/ But TBH if I pay for 1Gbps, I want to have 1Gbps on my main workstation, no matter what I'll use it for.

For the original poster, go wired Ethernet or do not waste your time/money with anything else.

3 minutes ago, Tantawi said:

I want to have 1Gbps on my main workstation, no matter what I'll use it for.

Agreed, and your not going to do that with powerline or AC wifi.

The only way to get 1gig is actual wire, or AX..

7 hours ago, Tjarboe said:

Not really without crawling under the home and drilling.  

I did exactly that and wired ethernet wall sockets up to most rooms in the house, short term pain for long term gain. I guarantee it will be the most cost effective solution also.

Take it form someone who has done the whole WiFi and home plug thing many years ago, it's a waste of money.

This is what mine shows, and I have V1 old equipment from 2016:

SNAG-0003.png

The AP plug is plugged in the meter cabinet where my router is and wired directly into my router (ethernet port) and the receiver which is a wifi clone + wired ethernet is upstairs on another electrical group. My router is 100/1000.

If your seeing 210.. That is really good for powerline I would think..

But there is no benchmarks I have ever seen where any of even most current models come anywhere close to gig speeds..  Even under the most ideal conditions..

I would test with iperf to see exactly what your seeing in real world, actual use of moving data..

Here are some benchmark numbers

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/powerline/view

Powerline adapters promise the world, but when it comes down to it, you're lucky to pull more than 250mbit. I avg about 150. My house has three stories (basement, main, second) with a electric main panel, and two sub panels, they barely work at all. Some outlets don't even pick up the sending end. But when you've got vaulted ceilings and multiple levels, I'll take what I can get. Probably better off with wireless tbh. 

My old apartment was knob and tube, which was even worse with those... got about 20mbit lol.

Eh my house is crazy, right now my Harmony Hub, which is downstairs and 6ft away from my (Wifi) router, has decided to connect to the upstairs homeplug, which is one floor up and (diagonally) three or four times further away!

SNAG-0004.png

I only have this because my upstairs Nest Protect kept disconnecting from the Wifi and giving an alert. Half the time it isn't even connected to the upstairs clone Lol. I already have wired ethernet upstairs too.

On 09/05/2021 at 21:33, Marujan said:

ps: why do you need more than >90mbps?  i have 85mbps for 6 people and we have on 60% load

Newsflash, not everyone has the same usage standards.

• Facepalm 2