Write protected USB drive

Hi,

I am not sure how my USB flash drive received a write protected status as there is no locking switch that i can see, tried formating the drive via windows 10 format and Aesus formatting software and neither worked. Does anyone know of a sure way to format a usb flash drive? If yes, plz let me know.

TIA

Just now, Nick H. said:

Just to be sure, have you checked to see if there is a hardware switch for write protection on the key?

none that i can see. :)

What is the specific key.. Make and model?  If its write protected - no you wouldn't be able to format it.. The whole point of write protection ;)  Protecting from being written too, or overwritten, etc.

Is this one you purchased or one that came from other source. There are USB keys used as security for software and protection of diagnostic work that are hardware writ protected.

I've had usb flash drives give me write protected issues in the past when they should not have. Turns out the drive went bad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I've had usb flash drives give me write protected issues in the past when they should not have. Turns out the drive went bad.

That is my guess too.

Sometimes the disk has the readonly attribute set.

Open diskpart from command prompt and type:

DISKPART> list disk
DISKPART> select disk #
DISKPART> attributes disk clear readonly