Encrypt cloud data (DropBox, etc)

First off let me ask, do I really need to be worried about encrypting the data that I store on the cloud? I know that Dropbox has had some issues in the past with breaches, but I'm not sure how long ago it has been. Second, if the answer to the first question is yes, then what program(s) can I use to accomplish the task?

You can always encrypt a .zip/.rar file and upload it to the cloud.

MOST clouds are encrypted now anyways.

Put a VeraCrypt volume in your Dropbox folder, mount it when you need to access/modify the documents. You can even put VeraCrypt on a USB key so that you can access the documents on a computer that doesn't have it installed. It's more than likely complete overkill, but it'll do the trick. :laugh:

Who uses DropBox? The most overpriced cloud storage in existence.  OneDrive and Google Drive are encrypted.

Google uses 128-bit or 256-bit AES keys (depending on the type of storage device) to encrypt data at rest in Google Drive, which helps in protecting the confidentiality of the data stored in Google Drive.

2 minutes ago, devHead said:

Who uses DropBox?

I do, but I'm using their free service with 7.75GB of space. I've got Google Drive and OneDrive accounts as well, I think, but Dropbox is my primary account for sharing large files and keeping important documents.

1 hour ago, devHead said:

Who uses DropBox? The most overpriced cloud storage in existence.  OneDrive and Google Drive are encrypted.

Google uses 128-bit or 256-bit AES keys (depending on the type of storage device) to encrypt data at rest in Google Drive, which helps in protecting the confidentiality of the data stored in Google Drive.

I use it as well, do not pay for it. I also have Onedrive, pCloud,Google.

1 hour ago, Superuser said:

What kind of files are you storing in the cloud?

Mostly recovery documents, i.e. 2FA backup codes, I also have bank account numbers stored for easy access, and then my cell phone pictures are all backed up to Dropbox