Time Lapse

Question

Hi all Looking for some help 

Having a Summer house put up would like to record it but as it will take all day i think time lapse software would be the way to go

so what software should i go for

Big Thanks

11 answers to this question

Time lapse software? Can you be more specific?

I could have this completely wrong, but if you're going to record the summer house being built then wouldn't you just stick your camera in one position in the ground, record the whole thing and then speed the video up in editing? Maybe edit out the days where nothing changes?

If so to the above, wouldn't you just need any video editing software? Don't they all come with the ability to speed up the footage?

2 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Time lapse software? Can you be more specific?

I could have this completely wrong, but if you're going to record the summer house being built then wouldn't you just stick your camera in one position in the ground, record the whole thing and then speed the video up in editing? Maybe edit out the days where nothing changes?

If so to the above, wouldn't you just need any video editing software? Don't they all come with the ability to speed up the footage?

i thought there maybe software that records in time lapse if i record all day the file will be so big

Sorry for begin a bit thick

Hello, you can't record in Time Lapse mode. That would require changing the laws of time and space so that the day sped up for the purpose of your recording.

Unfortunately you are locked in the snail's pace of time and will have to speed up the recording using video editing software. One that I can recommend and is free is Davinci Resolve, you can also find tutorials on YouTube on how to make time lapse videos:

A big thanks for that

think i am  saying  the wrong thing, what i was think of was software that take a image from you web cam every 5 or so seconds and makes it in to a movie

38 minutes ago, Bat21UK said:

i thought there maybe software that records in time lapse if i record all day the file will be so big

Sorry for begin a bit thick

No, no. You're not being thick. I just had to be sure I understood your request correctly.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as time-lapse mode for video. You can have a time-lapse photo, otherwise known as a long-exposure photography, but that is definitely not something that you want for this.

I've just seen your reply asking about taking a photo from your webcam every 5 seconds. Now that is possible, and then you would create a slideshow with one photo after another, showing the progression of the construction over time. It would also be smaller in the final filesize. You probably don't want to take a photo every 5 seconds for this task though, you probably want something like every 30 minutes or every hour. Try and figure out how long the project is going to take you to build and work that into your calculations. For example, if you think the project is going to take you 30 hours of work, maybe think about getting 120 photos, which would be one photo every 15 minutes. Well, that's how I would plan things, others might do it differently.

I know that iOS devices have a time lapse mode on their cameras, and a quick search turned up that GoPro devices do too. So you could use one of those.

4 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

No, no. You're not being thick. I just had to be sure I understood your request correctly.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as time-lapse mode for video. You can have a time-lapse photo, otherwise known as a long-exposure photography, but that is definitely not something that you want for this.

I've just seen your reply asking about taking a photo from your webcam every 5 seconds. Now that is possible, and then you would create a slideshow with one photo after another, showing the progression of the construction over time. It would also be smaller in the final filesize. You probably don't want to take a photo every 5 seconds for this task though, you probably want something like every 30 minutes or every hour. Try and figure out how long the project is going to take you to build and work that into your calculations. For example, if you think the project is going to take you 30 hours of work, maybe think about getting 120 photos, which would be one photo every 15 minutes. Well, that's how I would plan things, others might do it differently.

sounds good to me thanks will look in to it

1 minute ago, illumination said:

I know that iOS devices have a time lapse mode on their cameras, and a quick search turned up that GoPro devices do too. So you could use one of those.

thats sounds good will have a look at this too

6 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

so is there software that you can setup that will do this take a photo every 15 minutes or so 

have a look around the net now

27 minutes ago, Bat21UK said:

so is there software that you can setup that will do this take a photo every 15 minutes or so 

have a look around the net now

There's plenty of software available - even the Windows Camera App offers a time lapse option, although it has very limited functionality (maximum of every 10 seconds). You might even be able to do a search for your webcam model and find that the makers offer some software that does exactly what you're looking for.

35 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

There's plenty of software available - even the Windows Camera App offers a time lapse option, although it has very limited functionality (maximum of every 10 seconds). You might even be able to do a search for your webcam model and find that the makers offer some software that does exactly what you're looking for.

Thanks For All The Help 

Blueiris software can record at specific intervals. The ring camera also lets you record at specific times and they have battery/solar powered ones so it may work for what you need. None are free though :D