Recovering photos/videos from iPhone without passcode?

Hi,

My friend lost their child and she asked if there is any way to recover photos and videos he might have taken. No one knows the passcode for the phone. Phone is iPhone X.

I would imagine they would get the iCloud account from Apple with a death certificate but the funeral is 5.6.2021 and I think it's going to take too long that way to get the videos for somekind of compilation video for the funeral.

Edited by Joni_78

Unfortunately there isn't supposed to be a way to recover the information without having access to the account. It would defeat the purpose of the lock.

You can try reaching out to Apple's support to explain the situation. They won't make it easy - again, they need to think about the security of their devices - but it's worth a shot. They could possibly help you get access to the Apple account, which would allow you to access the backups of the phone data including photos and videos that have been put on the cloud. Although this assumes that the person was using the iCloud to backup their information.

There is a supposed hack that involves using Siri and setting a timer which can circumvent the passcode. It was published in May 2021 so it might still be available on the phone, but it could be that Apple have patched it already.

1 hour ago, Nick H. said:

Unfortunately there isn't supposed to be a way to recover the information without having access to the account. It would defeat the purpose of the lock.

You can try reaching out to Apple's support to explain the situation. They won't make it easy - again, they need to think about the security of their devices - but it's worth a shot. They could possibly help you get access to the Apple account, which would allow you to access the backups of the phone data including photos and videos that have been put on the cloud. Although this assumes that the person was using the iCloud to backup their information.

There is a supposed hack that involves using Siri and setting a timer which can circumvent the passcode. It was published in May 2021 so it might still be available on the phone, but it could be that Apple have patched it already.

Thank you.

I tried this on my 12 pro max, but they have removed the share option on the clock.

https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/forgot-iphone-passcode-heres-how-to-get-into-a-locked-iphone/

I was able to figure out the iCloud email address that is used on the phone. It has two step verification and phone number for recovery is the mothers phone number. The parents also confirmed that they have access into that gmail account, because it's saved in the browser on the computer so I think we can at least get the iCloud password reset.

Hello,

You may want to try contacting data recovery and mobile forensics companies to see if they can make any recommendations.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky