Having trouble installing Ubuntu due to my drive setup, bootloader install failed

I currently have three drives in my machine.

• A: Windows 10 personal (/dev/nvme0n1)
  • B: Storage drive (/dev/sda)
  • C: Windows 10 work (/dev/sdb)

I dual boot between drives A and C, A is my main personal Windows 10 install and C is used for my work Windows 10 install.

I was planning on using Ubuntu as my work OS and keeping Windows 10 as my personal OS due to gaming and my kids/partner having accounts on that drive.

I downloaded and burned the Ubuntu ISO onto a USB drive and booted from it. When I try and install it the install wizard tells me This computer currently has no detected operating systems. What would you like to do?

I chose the option to install on a drive, I chose drive C, the install seemed to go fine until it got to installing the bootloader. The wizard told me it couldn't install the bootloader to /dev/nvme0n1, I also tried choosing /dev/sdb but it wouldn't install there either.

Now I'm kind of stuck, I chose the option to not install a bootloader to see if I could get out of the wizard and try again but the install process seems to have hung.

I'm not sure what to do to either fix what I have done or start again and do it properly.

I'm still in the Ubuntu live system, I haven't restarted the machine yet.

You need a separate partition for booting. You can't install all of it in 1 partition.

There any reason you can't use VirtualBox? Run it as a VM?

3 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

You need a separate partition for booting. You can't install all of it in 1 partition.

There any reason you can't use VirtualBox? Run it as a VM?

Because I'd rather not have to use a VM for eight odd hours a day especially because the performance of them isn't awesome on my machine.

So how do I make another partition? I would have assumed the Ubuntu installer would have made all the partitions it needed during the install.

1 hour ago, unabatedshagie said:

Because I'd rather not have to use a VM for eight odd hours a day especially because the performance of them isn't awesome on my machine.

So how do I make another partition? I would have assumed the Ubuntu installer would have made all the partitions it needed during the install.

You know, VM's have gotten better over the years. But, if you don't want to, that's your choice.

I "think" (don't quote me on this) that it is trying to overwite your Windows boot loader. I haven't played with that since Win7. It could be it uses something different than 10.

To make this 100% easier, just install it on a spare SSD. Change the boot loader in BIOS/UEFI when you want to use it. Easy peasy.