Does the comment count button at the top of a news article, take you to the comments when clicked?

Does the comment count button at the top of a news article, take you to the comments when pressed?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Does the comment count button in front page news articles work for you?

I'm having issues with the comment button and i'm wondering if anyone else is having issues too. I've tried different browsers, different wifi, different operating systems and the comment button just takes me back to the very top of the page if i'm scrolled down alittle. It does not take me down to the comment's like it's suppose to.

Does it work for you?

In the video, yes I have extensions, but what i'm showing is the symptom no matter what I use, extensions or no extensions, it's all this same issue as shown on video.

• +Warwagon changed the title to Does the comment count button at the top of a news article, take you to the comments when clicked?
11 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

I voted yes:

Good luck. BTW we hide comments for guests so I think a bit of javascript is used there, if you block javascript here, things may not function as expected.

Open an article and then click the comment button at the top of the page. Does it take you to the bottom of the page to the comments? Because that's what is not working for me. it use to.

The only thing I can think is, are the comments already loaded when you access an article? The link goes to neowin.net/article/#comments so perhaps that javascript/bookmark hasn't been loaded.

Otherwise, you've tried on different browsers and with different networks and it still happens. I'm stumped.

It works fine for me.

39 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

The only thing I can think is, are the comments already loaded when you access an article? The link goes to neowin.net/article/#comments so perhaps that javascript/bookmark hasn't been loaded.

Otherwise, you've tried on different browsers and with different networks and it still happens. I'm stumped.

It works fine for me.

Video added to first post.

14 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Video added to first post.

Umm...you say there are no extensions, but I'm pretty sure that I see uBlock Origin installed and running there. Have you disabled that for Neowin?

EDIT: With that said, I just enabled uBlock for Neowin again and tried accessing an article, and I can still click the comment button and get taken to the comments. But I know that the minispy bugs out with uBlock enabled, so I was wondering if the same happened with the comments.

4 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Umm...you say there are no extensions, but I'm pretty sure that I see uBlock Origin installed and running there. Have you disabled that for Neowin?

EDIT: With that said, I just enabled uBlock for Neowin again and tried accessing an article, and I can still click the comment button and get taken to the comments. But I know that the minispy bugs out with uBlock enabled, so I was wondering if the same happened with the comments.

Correct, but what I was showing was the symptom no matter what i use, extensions or no extensions it's all the same issue.

10 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Correct, but what I was showing was the symptom no matter what i use, extensions or no extensions it's all the same issue.

Ah, I misunderstood the video. I thought it was showing what happens "with no extensions" while clearly the adblock was enabled. ;)

If it is the same, even after disabling uBlock (or even temporarily removing the extension) and restarting the browser, then I'm back to having no idea what the cause could be.

I tested it with the comment button in the article, also clicking before the page had fully loaded and it takes me to comments every time.

Are you using a VPN with MACE enabled? Or some privacy related DNS that adjusts websites?

SNAG-0011.png

BTW I just want to add that the mini spy consistently fails to auto load new topics for me, despite Dave showing me that it is working fine, and I can't reproduce why that is either. I think one time I cleared all Neowin cookies and it started working again Lol.

Edit: Case in point. Minispy did not update when I added this post.

SNAG-0012.png

16 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

I tested it with the comment button in the article, also clicking before the page had fully loaded and it takes me to comments every time.

Are you using a VPN with MACE enabled? Or some privacy related DNS that adjusts websites?

SNAG-0011.png

I thought about that too. But I tried different DNS and it happens at my gf's house and my house. Not connected to a VPN. I'm using cable one dns here and opendns at home.

5 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I thought about that too. But I tried different DNS and it happens at my gf's house and my house.

WW, you and I were talking abouter routers a while back and I understood you used a different than stock firmware. Could it have been a firmware update on your router that may be blocking somthing?

Edit, I just tried it and it does not work. When I click the comments status nothing happens. If I right click it and open in new tab it take me to the comments section in the new tab.

5 minutes ago, xrobwx71 said:

WW, you and I were talking abouter routers a while back and I understood you used a different than stock firmware. Could it have been a firmware update on your router that may be blocking somthing?

This is true. Both locations do have that in common. Can't even test that at my parents house. They have the same router and firmware too ... all same locations have the same router and firmware. Good idea though. Maybe it's YAMon bandwith monitor. That's on all 3 too.

Let me log into my sisters emby server. That's different.

Well F*ck balls, I thought you had it solved. But it does the same thing on my sisters emby server. She has a different router. I live in Le Mars, doesn't work, i'm currently in sioux city, doesnt work, and my sisters emby server is in Lincoln NE

Doesn't work for me in Edge either. Or Firefox.

Just now, xrobwx71 said:

Doesn't work for me in Edge either.

What about other browsers?

5 minutes ago, warwagon said:

What about other browsers?

Daily driver is Chrome.

Chrome - No    New Edge- No     FF-No   All updated to latest version.

Again, if I right click and choose open in new tab in either browser, it opens to the comments in the new tab. 

It almost has to be something Windows related. 21H1 19043.1023

When you inspect the element in Chrome, it is .js. I uninstalled Java on my machine months ago. 

Actually may be something to do with Tier2 subscribers, note how it only affects people in this group?

We remove some ad javascripts, but maybe through a mistake, some comment related javascript is getting removed too. I will raise this with @Redmakand @DaveLeggin the morning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, xrobwx71 said:

Daily driver is Chrome.

Chrome - No    New Edge- No     FF-No   All updated to latest version.

Again, if I right click and choose open in new tab in either browser, it opens to the comments in the new tab. 

It almost has to be something Windows related. 21H1 19043.1023

Also doesn't work on my GF's emby server. its running 20h2. I also can't get it to work on Big Sur in Safari.

If you scroll down a little and then click it, does it just take you back to the top of the page?

image.png.ac41f65e4f80703c5c712df9542d755d.png

5 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Actually may be something to do with Tier2 subscribers, note how it only affects people in this group?

We remove some ad javascripts, but maybe through a mistake, some comment related javascript is getting removed too. I will raise this with @Redmakand @DaveLeggin the morning.

Well, I'll be a motherf.... Hahaha 😆 

Thanks for the info.

Edit:

@Steven P.

Actually, when I tried the other browsers, now including Internet Explorer, I was not logged in and it still doesn't work.

Just to let you know, it's not a deal breaker for me. I am simply trying to help WW figure it out.

14 minutes ago, xrobwx71 said:

@Steven P.

Actually, when I tried the other browsers, now including Internet Explorer, I was not logged in and it still doesn't work.

Just to let you know, it's not a deal breaker for me. I am simply trying to help WW figure it out.

Hmm yes this makes it a bit more confusing :(  Lol

Ah okay, well actually that expected behavior when you are not logged in, because the comments will not have loaded yet. For guests, they only load into view when you scroll down to them. Even after the comments load into view and you scroll back up and click the comment bubble, it won't work.

Funnily enough it does work if you click the comment bubble from the main page summary as a guest. So I am going with, it's a bug that affects guests and Tier2 subscribers, for now.

• Like 2

I just tried it logged in via FF and it doesn't work. I opened Edge (not logged in) and it also does not work. Also tried FF on Android and Brave on Android and both did not work either.

17 hours ago, Steven P. said:

Sub1 user here, I have the same issue in Chrome 91

Interestingly, using the #comments link from the dev tools in Chrome does take you to the appropriate section

image.png.0eb60f1d0f7c8524172deb67fb9c8bf0.png