New Games, New Graphics, New Cards???

I may sound like I'm stingy, but oh well.......why the hell do I have to buy a new computer to play a new game? That's always the case......a new great game comes out and you want to fire it up on your PC, but your PC is a year too old so it runs like crap. That's been the case for every game since Quake II. I got a new computer for Quake II.....it has a Voodoo II. Those were the days huh? and then Unreal came out and I got a new computer with a Voodoo 3. And then more and more new games came out and I still have my Voodoo 3. Quake III on a Voodoo 3......that's something to bitch about. It runs ok at times, although it looks like crap. I ain't gonna get another new graphics card yet.....so what, new graphics, new games, but new cards......no way. GeForce 4 is just a speed improvement over the GeForce 3. Plus it has better texture compression and anti-aliasing.......yeah, nice!! I'll just wait for their next one....considering every six months, a new card, game, and graphics engine pops out.

the most "excessive" game out there now in terms of hardware requirements is tribes 2... to get that game anywhere near playable you have to be far beyond the system requirements listed on the box... but... lets look at reality, shall we?

I can run tribes 2 just fine on a geforce 2 ultra with an intel celeron 300... yes, that's right, a celeron 300. Now, the celeron is over clocked to 464mhz, but that over clocking required no replacement fan at all and it runs at a cool 30C with the same exact fan it came with. Tribes 2 runs great, looks great too... What operating system? Windows XP... yes, the one people claim slows your computer... (then why can i get better performance on xp then 2k or 9x?)

So, in terms of buying new hardware for every game? Nope, not needed at all. You just have to buy the right hardware to begin with if you want it to last.

I can even run Max Pyne and Serious Sam 2 just fine as well.

I understand what you mean, but I don't think it's as bad as you're saying it is - at least not in my experiences. I'm running a PIII 866Mhz with a Radeon 32 SDR (P.O.S. card with P.O.S. drivers) and a substandard mobo, and I'm running all the new games just fine at 1024x768x32 even with Windows XP and a horde of background processes ticking over - although, on first installation of XP and Max Payne, Max Payne couldn't even run at 640x480 - I just tweaked and tweaked like no tommorow (no overclocking though) and now it runs fast and smooth.

well.....I do play Return to Caste Wolfenstein with everything cranked as far as it goes on a Voodoo 3 at 1024X768. It runs good, slows down once in a while. Reminds me of when I first got Half-Life. It ran the same way...but after I got a new computer it was like butter baby! So, now I'm waiting to get an Audigy or Extigy, the best P4 that available, an Asus motherboard, I have DVD, I have a 16X Burner, I need a new graphics card (waiting 'till Nvidia takes out ATI and releases their new card) and a cool chrome case. I'll be gettin; all this hopefully this time next year! I can wait...... I'm gonna wait 'till I get married for sex, so I can wait this one out too!

Originally posted by The Hillbilly Cat  

well.....I do play Return to Caste Wolfenstein with everything cranked as far as it goes on a Voodoo 3 at 1024X768.  It runs good, slows down once in a while.  Reminds me of when I first got Half-Life.  It ran the same way...but after I got a new computer it was like butter baby! So, now I'm waiting to get an Audigy or Extigy, the best P4 that available, an Asus motherboard, I have DVD, I have a 16X Burner, I need a new graphics card (waiting 'till Nvidia takes out ATI and releases their new card) and a cool chrome case.  I'll be gettin; all this hopefully this time next year!  I can wait......  I'm gonna wait 'till I get married for sex, so I can wait this one out too!

Just outta curiousity, why are you going for a P4? With all the material around with Athlon XP and P4 comparisons, AXP just seem like some sort of dream, cheap but powerful. I'd love to hear your take on the whole thing!

U2 and UT2 will murder all the video cards out there now. If you don't have a Geforce3 TI 200 and up or some overclocked GF2!! I am not a big gamer but I loved Max Payne and it drained my GF2 so imagine the newer games!

it would be better if Nvidia worked on a graphics card for a little longer and released a new one every year....not in 6 months. That way, we save money and they save money and make more money because the technology is way newer!!!

The Hillbilly Cat: The longer nVidia wait before releasing a new product, the more chance of a company appearing from near-enough nowhere, and taking the lead on the market. It's happened before, and can happen again (nVidia and 3Dfx are just one example!) That's why they release them every 6 months. Finally, the Return to Castle Wolfenstein post you previously made. The secret to being good at most games, is the framerate. I reckon, on your specs (Voodoo 3 etc.), you should put the detail to medium to keep those FPS up and stop the sudden drops. You?ll notice you?ll be getting better then. Hopefully anyway, that?s just theorSHoTTa35:a35: I agree, Unreal 2 and Unreal Tournamwillll push most graphics cards to their edges, but remember, even this (suppos'ed best graphical game on the PC) only has the same amount of polygons as the (oldish) Dreamcast games. They're still NO WHERE near the PlayStation 2, never mind the upcoming Xbox and GameCubbaphomet_ie:e: Sorry, but the new levels didn?t even push my old Pentium III 650 MHz, 128 Mb RAM, 32 Mb GeForce II MX. I got 50 FPS @ medium detail? no problem! Just my opinjmole:jmole: Look at my reply to Baphomet_ie above :)

Honestly, you can play games fine without top notch systems. It all really depends on how well you want the game to run. Sure everyone wants the best graphics, highest frame rates, etc, but that stuff all comes with a big tag on it.

King Mustard, I do not agree wholly with you. The new Geforce 4 Ti's 4600 beats all consoles' in terms of graphics right now.

thats now but when GeForce5 comes out they will say GeForce4 Ti's will suck just typical sales talk

anyway with all those rumours going about with the sneak previews of GeForce4 thought it was going to be 8XAGP 64Bit colour ? for extreme gaming

well, i have to say tht's not it.

do you guys remember, when voodoo was alive...then we had more companys and competition, just remember, as the newest and (at that time) graphic card came out...well it was geforce 1, tough revolutionary, the price was only at 300 $ for the best...but look now, you'll have to spend more than 450 $ to get the newest geforce4. now that'S the problem, the less companys we have, the bigger will be the price. and since we all (well, almost all) want to play unreal 2, unreal tournament 2 and doom3 with the highest detail level, in 32bit and as possible higher resolutions than 1024x768, we all MUST get the newest cards outthere...let'S say from nvidia(since carmack personaly said that), consolidating the monopolistic position of the company. now, we all do that, but we all know, the geforce 5 will rock, it will be out sometime next year and will cost much more than the geforce 4...now that's a vicious circle....

well, excuse my english, but i think you'll understand what i want to say:D

Originally posted by King Mustard  

SHoTTa35: I agree, Unreal 2 and Unreal Tournament 2 will push most graphics cards to their edges, but remember, even this (suppos'ed best graphical game on the PC) only has the same amount of polygons as the (oldish) Dreamcast games. They're still NO WHERE near the PlayStation 2, never mind the upcoming Xbox and GameCube!

now, don't be so sure about that. false, false and false again...just look at the specs of the geforce and the specs of the consoles:ermm:

one day........we're gonna be talkin' about games like RTCW being old and lookin' fake 'cause we'll have the best of the best.  In about 7 years I say.

haha, i can imagine us actually being in the video game shooting with guns in vr and all that sh1t, lol

now that's scary.. i'd drop outta the game scene then.. it's a game.. it's spose to be fun.. not dangerous but some people with twisted minds things that danger is fun or funny for that matter... i'm sorry but i'm a pu$$y and i ain't jumpin off no bridge and hope my parashute opens :)

hmm.......Intel is power baby!!!  I'll never go with anything else.

Intel Smintel....

AMD ROX.

My 2 Cents

Oh, and I just got Mechwarrior 4....yeah, kinda weird that Microsoft took this out of Activisions hands... (I think that's who originally made Mechwarrior) and let me tell ya, running on a AMD Athlon 1.2 Ghz, 512 MB DDR, and a Hercules 3d Prophet 4000 XT 32MB card, not to mention all sitting on a ABIT KR7A-133, it totally rox!