Booted from the Beta ring...

Just received this email from the Windows Insider Program.

Apparently a system built this year, on just last years tech.. doesn't qualify for that ring any more.. based on "your system doesn't meet the minimum specs".  😂

Anyone else?  

I mean.. my phone is above the specs listed from the page linked in the articles here at Neowin.. this machine stomps it into the ground, and it's only a machine with decent, middle class hardware.

1.png

Almost certainly because you're not using Secure Boot and/or the TPM feature in your BIOS is not enabled, both of which can be rectified in a few minutes.

The updated PC Heath Check tool (download at https://aka.ms/GetPCHealthCheckApp) will tell you what is causing the issue.

Went back thru the qualifications... and seen that the Secure Boot feature is on in the BIOS.. but you are correct, I have yet to set up the system, or any of them.. using UEFI.

There are ways of converting the MBR to GPT.. but the every day user isn't going to know this. And it's not just a "hey, turn that on in the BIOS and you're good to go".

No... you're not.

If MS wants people to use secure boot, then the instructions on how to do it, should be clear as crystal.. and after people manually turn on UEFI, then the Win 11 setup should automatically convert the MBR to GPT.

No operating system should demand a new partition format straight from an upgrade..as the data loss could be disastrous. Not every one has all their data backed up like we do.

The Beta ring isn't supposed to be for everyone. If someone doesn't know how to switch their computer to meet Microsoft's requirements for the Beta ring then it is understandable to remove them.

For something like enabling TPM/Secure boot, or converting MBR to GPT, I would imagine that when it comes to the official release there will be something in the upgrade setup that will make it easier for your average user to go through.

12 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

The Beta ring isn't supposed to be for everyone. If someone doesn't know how to switch their computer to meet Microsoft's requirements for the Beta ring then it is understandable to remove them.

For something like enabling TPM/Secure boot, or converting MBR to GPT, I would imagine that when it comes to the official release there will be something in the upgrade setup that will make it easier for your average user to go through.

I'm not a simpleton, Nick... I've been testing MS software for a long.. long time.

What MS is failing to understand, or even do at the get go.. is to warn users that they will be removed from said ring, if the following changes are not made.

You're assuming as they are, that users are not able to do such a thing. We can, and we will.. but just getting tossed to the dogs because of an assumption... well, you know what assume means.

There's plenty of time to get all the ducks in a row. Just sad that this is their first step... boot everyone that didn't have UEFI enabled to begin with.

I just checked and I have the email too. They haven't changed what channel I'm in though so we'll see if I still get it automatically next week or if I have to take a manual approach 😈

• Like 1

Just now, xMorpheousx416 said:

I'm not a simpleton, Nick... I've been testing MS software for a long.. long time.

What MS is failing to understand, or even do at the get go.. is to warn users that they will be removed from said ring, if the following changes are not made.

You're assuming as they are, that users are not able to do such a thing. We can, and we will.. but just getting tossed to the dogs because of an assumption... well, you know what assume means.

There's plenty of time to get all the ducks in a row. Just sad that this is their first step... boot everyone that didn't have UEFI enabled to begin with.

I'm not sure that I follow. You've just said that Microsoft didn't warn people that they will be removed from the ring...but they did, you posted a screenshot of their message. The message clearly says that your machine will be removed from the ring because it doesn't meet the requirements. I guess you could try and argue that they could tell you what the requirements are, but they do that as well. They provide a tool, and there is at least one other tool that I've heard of that will scan your system and tell you what you need if you want to run Windows 11.

Their first step is to say that your device will be removed from the Insider ring because it doesn't meet the requirements. I'm not sure what you wanted them to do before that?

Posted (edited)

Wow.

Okay.. there was no warning that my machine would be removed from the ring. That was an email stating it was removed.. not that it was "going" to be.

I have Secure boot enabled. I am using UEFI. I have TPM 2.0 enabled in the BIOS.. and I still don't pass their requirement test. 

Apparently the tool is defunct, but that doesn't mean what I said isn't true. So again.. go back and actually read the email, not what you want to read from it. It says "Your machine will be removed"... and it was. After seeing that email, and checking the settings.. I was back in the Release Preview ring. The fact they did this, knowing the tool was giving out false information is irritating in the least. Just another example of them releasing code without making sure it actually works.

No warning, Nick. It was a message stating it was already done. Not a "hey, if you want to stay in the ring, please do the following".

Anyways.. this machine can run 11... with it's eyes shut and only one core and a single stick of RAM.. so.. I'll just wait and see if they fix the tool.

4 hours ago, Louisifer said:

I just checked and I have the email too. They haven't changed what channel I'm in though so we'll see if I still get it automatically next week or if I have to take a manual approach 😈

Sweet... hopefully they changed that auto process after realizing it was booting people before they had a chance to make the subtle changes.. and realizing their tool is crap.

Resolve any compatibility issues and switch back to the beta channel.

Maybe the messaging isn't good enough for the average user, but it's perfectly fine for it's intended audience.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, xMorpheousx416 said:

Wow.

Okay.. there was no warning that my machine would be removed from the ring. That was an email stating it was removed.. not that it was "going" to be.

I have Secure boot enabled. I am using UEFI. I have TPM 2.0 enabled in the BIOS.. and I still don't pass their requirement test. 

Apparently the tool is defunct, but that doesn't mean what I said isn't true. So again.. go back and actually read the email, not what you want to read from it. It says "Your machine will be removed"... and it was. After seeing that email, and checking the settings.. I was back in the Release Preview ring. The fact they did this, knowing the tool was giving out false information is irritating in the least. Just another example of them releasing code without making sure it actually works.

No warning, Nick. It was a message stating it was already done. Not a "hey, if you want to stay in the ring, please do the following".

Anyways.. this machine can run 11... with it's eyes shut and only one core and a single stick of RAM.. so.. I'll just wait and see if they fix the tool.

I would have normally left this, it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other. But you asked me to check my reading comprehension, so I did. The email says that the computer will be removed, not that it has been removed. However you choose to read the email, that is saying that something is going to happen in the future, not that it has already happened. The fact that your computer had already been removed is another matter, my reading comprehension is fine. 😒

I also find that final comment a bit amusing. "Releasing code without making sure it actually works." The point of the insider program is to be a beta tester. You are testing things before it goes to a full release, there are going to be bugs. That includes in their own system checks for if a computer meets their requirements. I'd be annoyed if Windows 11 was officially released and it was telling average users that they can't upgrade to Windows 11 because they don't meet system requirements, but when they release code to their test audience and it doesn't work correctly...well, that's why their test audience is there. To tell them that it is wrong, or that it doesn't work.

Anyway,  I just hope that you're able to get back to the preview ring. From the sounds of things you just need to flip a few switches to get there so it should be easy enough. (Y)

Hopefully.

I'll wait a bit... see if they fix the specs tool and then sign back up. 

As far as your comment to mine about being a tester.. you're a "senior" here at Neowin. If you haven't seen MS release code that doesn't work by now, maybe reevaluate what it is you actually comment on? 

Just a thought... but I was actually referring to the health check app. Still mind boggling when people read only what they want, but I have to remember that text in black and white sometimes loses context, allowing the reader to do just that.

I'm not dealing with a file transfer bug, (early Windows 10) a massive memory leak changing file names (second update release of 10) or the system locking up because of a change in screen resolution (certain criteria with Nvidia drivers).. it's just a system check.

I even followed the steps from people here, doing everything they did to get that "This PC can run Windows 11" and still no go (including risking a new install converting from MBR to GPT). We can run it with no issues via VM.. but the check says the system can't run it? Eh.. who cares.

Maybe I find things a bit odd... when others just go "eh"? 🙃

Enjoy your day, Nick.

On 28/06/2021 at 01:40, Nick H. said:

Anyway,  I just hope that you're able to get back to the preview ring. From the sounds of things you just need to flip a few switches to get there so it should be easy enough

Just a quick update.. so we can close this thread.

Maybe learned a thing or two about that comp check.

I reflashed the BIOS.. and set the options again. Now she's ready. For some reason... the tool just didn't like what it was reading from the BIOS initially. 

Learn something every day. 

Thanks, Nick.

Untitled.jpg

On 27/06/2021 at 19:03, xMorpheousx416 said:

then the Win 11 setup should automatically convert the MBR to GPT.

Even as fast and pain free as conversion is when your system is configured normally, they will never do that as the risks are too great.

18 hours ago, yakumo said:

Even as fast and pain free as conversion is when your system is configured normally, they will never do that as the risks are too great.

Possibly.

MS has always been extremely vague when it comes to pointing out what could be the problem. Their BSODs, misc errors, having to check the Reliability monitor.. and now this, probably keeps the average Joe and Jan from risking their data. 

It would just be a nicety to have the message clearly state how to resolve it.