Good keyboards now days?

I used to only buy MS Ergonomic 4000 keyboards, loved them, worked great... their replacement for it just just blah and meh (yeah I got one used it for a few months could never get used to it).... spongey, no elevation legs for the back. keys are smaller and moved around in a way that just feels odd...

Any good recommendations for a replacement?

I always just use standard/basic cheap range keyboards (I don't see the point in paying higher prices for keyboards since you can get a cheap one (maybe $10-20) and it feels good enough and should last several years at least) as the two most recent I owned (which are on my primary computer) are...

-Logitech K120 (which lasted 8 years and 10 months (Aug 2011 to about June 2020). I think it was basically the 'e' key that tore on the rubber thing inside of the keyboard. I did take this keyboard apart once in a while to clean it over the years but I was gentle with the rubber insert which I always separated from the hard plastic keys at which point you can just completely clean the main keyboard part well (which is all hard plastic) with soap/water/toothbrush)

-Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600. Model: 1366. (I got this to replace the K120 after it was basically shot. a small bonus with this... I like it's 'calculator' button which works on Linux Mint to launch the calculator. it's even got a speaker mute button which is a small side bonus if you need to mute things by simply pressing a key on the keyboard and has a play/pause button (which works but I don't really use this much, if at all) and speaker volume up/down buttons to. but I don't really use those as it's largely the calculator button with a small amount of use on the speaker mute)

so while those keyboards are nothing fancy, they are hard to beat when you factor in bang-for-the-buck as they are priced very well and feel good enough in ones hands for a basic keyboard and seem to last years (at least I hope my current Microsoft one will last but I suspect it will as I had it over a year now and so far so good).

I can't see dropping $100+ on a keyboard (I figure even around $50 is pushing it, but 'maybe' if it's noticeably better then your standard cheap $10-20 range keyboard and it will easily last 20+ years), especially given one can get a cheap decent brand ones (like I mentioned above) for $10-20 and last a rather long time as the saved $ could be put towards other computer hardware, like a hard drive etc.

and personally... I would almost surely hate any keyboard that does not have the traditional keyboard layout as those split keyboards would just seem like a chore to use since your hands just automatically know where to type without thinking on a regular keyboard, which would all go out the window on a non-standard keyboard layout (people actually like those split keyboards?).

on a side note... I still got a old IBM (Model: KB-9930) PS/2 keyboard which is probably from around 1998-2000, which is what I currently use on my backup PC (ASUS A8N32-SLI board). originally it was from one of my uncles very 1st PC that I got a hold of at some point but dumped the computer and kept the keyboard. the keyboard still feels pretty good to this day (I am sure it still feels pretty much like it did when it was new). I don't know how much total time of use was on it but I would guess maybe a few years or so.

the keyboard Goretsky linked to, I have no doubts I would probably like it, but it's price is just too much for a keyboard (like I am confident it's better than mine but not enough to justify roughly a $85-90 price difference) as I would not even want to spend that on a mouse either which one typically pays a bit more for a mouse than a keyboard I would think.

18 minutes ago, ThaCrip said:

I always just use standard/basic cheap range keyboards (I don't see the point in paying higher prices for keyboards since you can get a cheap one (maybe $10-20) and it feels good enough and should last several years at least) as the two most recent I owned (which are on my primary computer) are...

-Logitech K120 (which lasted 8 years and 10 months (Aug 2011 to about June 2020). I think it was basically the 'e' key that tore on the rubber thing inside of the keyboard. I did take this keyboard apart once in a while to clean it over the years but I was gentle with the rubber insert which I always separated from the hard plastic keys at which point you can just completely clean the main keyboard part well (which is all hard plastic) with soap/water/toothbrush)

-Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600. Model: 1366. (I got this to replace the K120 after it was basically shot. a small bonus with this... I like it's 'calculator' button which works on Linux Mint to launch the calculator. it's even got a speaker mute button which is a small side bonus if you need to mute things by simply pressing a key on the keyboard and has a play/pause button (which works but I don't really use this much, if at all) and speaker volume up/down buttons to. but I don't really use those as it's largely the calculator button with a small amount of use on the speaker mute)

so while those keyboards are nothing fancy, they are hard to beat when you factor in bang-for-the-buck as they are priced very well and feel good enough in ones hands for a basic keyboard and seem to last years (at least I hope my current Microsoft one will last but I suspect it will as I had it over a year now and so far so good).

I can't see dropping $100+ on a keyboard (I figure even around $50 is pushing it, but 'maybe' if it's noticeably better then your standard cheap $10-20 range keyboard and it will easily last 20+ years), especially given one can get a cheap decent brand ones (like I mentioned above) for $10-20 and last a rather long time as the saved $ could be put towards other computer hardware, like a hard drive etc.

and personally... I would almost surely hate any keyboard that does not have the traditional keyboard layout as those split keyboards would just seem like a chore to use since your hands just automatically know where to type without thinking on a regular keyboard, which would all go out the window on a non-standard keyboard layout (people actually like those split keyboards?).

on a side note... I still got a old IBM (Model: KB-9930) PS/2 keyboard which is probably from around 1998-2000, which is what I currently use on my backup PC (ASUS A8N32-SLI board). originally it was from one of my uncles very 1st PC that I got a hold of at some point but dumped the computer and kept the keyboard. the keyboard still feels pretty good to this day (I am sure it still feels pretty much like it did when it was new). I don't know how much total time of use was on it but I would guess maybe a few years or so.

the keyboard Goretsky linked to, I have no doubts I would probably like it, but it's price is just too much for a keyboard (like I am confident it's better than mine but not enough to justify roughly a $85-90 price difference) as I would not even want to spend that on a mouse either which one typically pays a bit more for a mouse than a keyboard I would think.

You would really freak out as the cost of mine then. 

https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/products/gaming-keyboards/g915-low-profile-wireless-mechanical-gaming-keyboard.html

18 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

@ $250, pretty much. that makes Goretsky's seem like a huge bargain (plus, Goretsky's seems like it roughly gets the quality of that, with no worry about wireless/battery, and without the price that's 2.5 times higher) ;)

I see it's rechargeable. but I would assume it's using rechargeable lithium tech? ; if so, I never been a fan of that stuff as once the battery goes bad it might be a problem getting a quality replacement battery for it, and that assumes you can replace the battery. I prefer standard AA/AAA NiMh as one can always find quality replacement batteries (Eneloop) and they easily last years. but lets just say the battery is shot on your keyboard and you can't get a replacement, you can still always run it with that USB cable plugged in I would imagine(?).

but speaking of wireless keyboards... is there any potential issues with leaking keyboard data over a wireless connection? ; because while I don't know if that's a real issue, makes me wonder if the potential is there for someone to steal ones keystrokes over a wireless connection. either way, short of a limited amount of use circumstances, a wired keyboard seems like a safer all-around bet as a general rule over a wireless keyboard. but I like wireless mouse over wired in general though since one is not dragging the cord around a bit.

but the wireless/battery aspect (and obviously price) aside... looking at it with general function, it's probably a safe bet I would like it. but then again for $250, everyone should like it ;)

On 11/07/2021 at 19:29, margrave said:

This ergo is customizable, and backlit too.

https://www.theverge.com/22566248/zsa-moonlander-mark-i-1-ergonomic-keyboard-mechanical-review

I've never been good at using these though. Traditional KB's with backlighting for me. 😃

That has to be the ugliest keyboard I've seen yet 🤣

For an ergonomic keyboard I used the ErgoDox EZ with MX Blues for a long time, but after working from home for a while during these lockdowns the wife wanted to murder me because of the clicky switches. As a replacement I've been using a G915 TKL tactical, not quite as satisfying to type on because it lacks a nice click but it's much quieter and I find the low profile keycaps pretty nice to type on, less hand fatigue while typing fast for long periods. Both are nice keyboards.

I miss the saitek Eclipse keyboards - you can't find them no more. I wish I could buy another Eclipse 2 just for a backup :(

Quiet keys, laser etched with LED backlighting...awesome keyboards.

4 minutes ago, sava700 said:

I miss the saitek Eclipse keyboards - you can't find them no more. I wish I could buy another Eclipse 2 just for a backup :(

Quiet keys, laser etched with LED backlighting...awesome keyboards.

Amazon has them used. 

At this point, I just stick with the Apple Magic Keyboard. They are consistent, they work very well and last a long time, and while expensive they're worth it. I've gone through so many random cheap keyboards that I'm tired of having something different every 2-3 years when they inevitably start falling apart. And I personally cannot stand mechanical or ergonomic keyboards so... that's my thoughts.

2 hours ago, margrave said:

I have this exact same keyboard right now! I love it!

Just wish the battery was a bit better. 

@Sikh

You must disagree with most people then. because I think it's pretty safe for me to say most people probably have a similar mindset to me when it comes to keyboards, which is... any decent brand cheap keyboard tends to be overall better than those expensive keyboards simply because there is not enough of a quality difference to justify roughly $80+ price difference (and not only that, $100 is not exactly pocket change for most people. they are better off investing the saved $ into other computer hardware etc).

I know that in general the saying goes, 'you get what you pay for'. while that's generally true, it's not always true as sometimes you can get decent enough quality at a cheap price and I feel that applies to keyboards given $10-20 for a device that feels 'good enough' to type on and lasts probably at least 5-10 years.

I think you would have a much better case against me if you could get a noticeably better quality keyboard for maybe $50 or so. but not at roughly $100+ which seems to be where most of the higher quality keyboards roughly start in price I would imagine. but then again, if quality keyboards where in the $50 range, I likely would not be saying what I am saying, at least not nearly as strongly, because then it would be much easier for someone to say it's worth the extra $ (there might still be some debate, but at least there would be debate unlike now where I think things clearly favor the $10-20 keyboards over the $100+ ones, just on price alone).

bottom line... if your going to 'face palm' me, at least come up with a good counter argument to what I said, which you simply can't because what I said is basically true. because at the end of the day, there is just simply not enough of a quality difference to justify roughly $80+ price difference. because for a better quality keyboard to be plausibly worth buying over your standard brand name/cheap keyboards, the price can't be too much of a gap and apparently there is just too much of a gap in price for the better quality keyboards which, in the end, makes them overall worse. but keyboards, like computer hardware in general, it typically boils down to 'bang-for-the-buck' (or thereabouts) and clearly expensive keyboards fail in this regard.

p.s. sure, if $100 ain't all that much for someone, and someone has a bit of a $ to burn, then getting a better quality keyboard may be worth it to these kinds of people (but even here I would have to draw the line at some point because eventually comes the point where your just spending extra $ just to spend it more than there being a legitimate upgrade). because I guess on the bright side, the keyboard should last decades.

Edited by ThaCrip

2 hours ago, ThaCrip said:

@Sikh

You must disagree with most people then. because I think it's pretty safe for me to say most people probably have a similar mindset to me when it comes to keyboards, which is... any decent brand cheap keyboard tends to be overall better than those expensive keyboards simply because there is not enough of a quality difference to justify roughly $80+ price difference (and not only that, $100 is not exactly pocket change for most people. they are better off investing the saved $ into other computer hardware etc).

I know that in general the saying goes, 'you get what you pay for'. while that's generally true, it's not always true as sometimes you can get decent enough quality at a cheap price and I feel that applies to keyboards given $10-20 for a device that feels 'good enough' to type on and lasts probably at least 5-10 years.

I think you would have a much better case against me if you could get a noticeably better quality keyboard for maybe $50 or so. but not at roughly $100+ which seems to be where most of the higher quality keyboards roughly start in price I would imagine. but then again, if quality keyboards where in the $50 range, I likely would not be saying what I am saying, at least not nearly as strongly, because then it would be much easier for someone to say it's worth the extra $ (there might still be some debate, but at least there would be debate unlike now where I think things clearly favor the $10-20 keyboards over the $100+ ones, just on price alone).

bottom line... if your going to 'face palm' me, at least come up with a good counter argument to what I said, which you simply can't because what I said is basically true. because at the end of the day, there is just simply not enough of a quality difference to justify roughly $80+ price difference. because for a better quality keyboard to be plausibly worth buying over your standard brand name/cheap keyboards, the price can't be too much of a gap and apparently there is just too much of a gap in price for the better quality keyboards which, in the end, makes them overall worse. but keyboards, like computer hardware in general, it typically boils down to 'bang-for-the-buck' (or thereabouts) and clearly expensive keyboards fail in this regard.

p.s. sure, if $100 ain't all that much for someone, and someone has a bit of a $ to burn, then getting a better quality keyboard may be worth it to these kinds of people (but even here I would have to draw the line at some point because eventually comes the point where your just spending extra $ just to spend it more than there being a legitimate upgrade). because I guess on the bright side, the keyboard should last decades.

Tl;dr: you tend to project your own feelings into what you think others feel and then get upset when you find out you are wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

So, i too struggled with this some time ago, and went through a fair few keyboards tests... amazon loved me for that :) 

From cheap and cheerful, to some rather outrageously expensive... I had been using the Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard with fingerprint ID... which worked great, i loved the key's in particular. 

I cannot stand klackity keys... especially when on a teams call, and someone is hammering away furiously at an email or something, and havent muted themselves.

Eventually thou, i settled on the Logitech Craft keyboard... pricey i know, but i do type a heck of alot, and being wireless, with pretty surprising battery life (with backlight turned off, in my use anyways...) ... i think i only charge the thing every few months or so.

Typing on it is great, and positive, they keys themselves have indents, which make a difference for accurate key strikes. Heck, even when used for gaming, i havent had any issues.

Solid build, and is a bit of a heavy keyboard, so it doesnt move around easily, like when accidentally bumped...

Think it all comes down very much to personal preference, and what you are willing to shell out obviously. But, thought i would put my 5c in :) 

I am using the Motospeed 2.4GHz Wireless/USB Wired Mechanical Gaming Keyboard it's going for  ~$60 right now and you have the choice of blue or brown switches, plus it can be used as wired keyboard if you want (I am currently doing so) There is also the Motospeed 2.4GHz Wireless with black or brown switches but wireless only for $50

I just came across a new ergonomic contender recently that shows a lot of potential.

Check them out in the following link. A bit pricy IMO but worth it if you like the ergonomic design. They're even mechanical.

https://x-bows.com/

8 hours ago, ThaCrip said:

@Sikh

I too used to think there wasn't enough to justify the price difference... then I tried some of the better keyboards. In my opinion there is a night and day difference between rubber dome keyboards and ones with the mechanical switch of your choice. 

Edited by ZakO
p

On 12/07/2021 at 02:15, ThaCrip said:

Yep, simple, basic keyboards are right up my alley. Have 8 of those Logitech K120's in use here and love them.  Keys are soft enough that you don't feel like you have to hammer them but firm enough that just bumping a key doesn't enter that key stroke. Quite quiet when typing on them also. I think I purchased most of the one's I have for under $10 from Walmart even!

Been using "Microsoft Surface Ergonomic Keyboard" for 4 years now. Though it's not perfect, it is comfortable.

The only and big issue I have are they keys in the DELETE, SCRLK, BACKSPACE, INSERT region are all together, would had preferred a minimum separation distance between them.

IMG_20210713_093112328.jpg

26 minutes ago, ZakO said:

I too used to think there wasn't enough to justify the price difference... then I tried some of the better keyboards. In my opinion there is a night and day difference between rubber dome keyboards and ones with the mechanical switch of your choice. 

Agreed. Being that I make a living using one, quality of life differences are worth the price. 

I currently have a Razer BlackWidow V2 Chroma. With Razer yellow keys (simalar to Cherry MX Brown).

I also have a Corsair K95 that I used to use. But has Cherry MX Red keys. Was too light of a touch for me.

I have heard about this one, too. https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3485