There are many great features available to you once you register at Neowin, including:

  • Richer content, access to many features that are disabled for guests like commenting on the front page
  • Access to a great community, with a massive database of experience on hard & software issues, gaming and recreational activities, and more
  • Access to the Neowin IRC - you could make a friend from across the world and talk to them live
  • Access to Neowin contests & subscription offers and forums that are not open to guests/li>
  • It's simple, and FREE! · Register here

Amazon account question


 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

My amazon account has been hacked 3 times in the past 4 years and I am tired of this happening. After the 1st time, I setup a 2 step verification to prevent this from happening and that didnt work. What is the best protocol to follow to prevent this from happening again. I use to keep my creds logged in all the time but I stopped doing that. Every time I use my CC on amazon I delete my credit card number so it is not listed after using it. It seems like 2 step verification doesnt work either.

 

The only other thing I can think of is changing my email address to a different one. Your suggestions would be appreciated. Also, what email provider (free) do you guys recommend on using as yahoo doesnt seem to secure, if it ever was?

 

TIA

Edited by Bruinator
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's pretty crazy. I've just taken a look at their 2FA setup, and it sends a OTP to your phone number...you're telling me that someone is intercepting your SMS to access your Amazon account?

 

What are you using for a password? Is it something very simple, or are you using a password manager to store an incredibly complex code?

 

If you're deleting your CC information each time you use the service, I'm not sure what someone could do if they accessed your account? Order things that would change Amazon's future suggestions for you? :laugh:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Define hacked. Are you getting those tech support scams emails / phone calls saying your Amazon account has been hacked? Or has it actually been hacked?

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/07/2021 at 13:40, Nick H. said:

That's pretty crazy. I've just taken a look at their 2FA setup, and it sends a OTP to your phone number...you're telling me that someone is intercepting your SMS to access your Amazon account?

 

What are you using for a password? Is it something very simple, or are you using a password manager to store an incredibly complex code?

 

If you're deleting your CC information each time you use the service, I'm not sure what someone could do if they accessed your account? Order things that would change Amazon's future suggestions for you? :laugh:

Gift card Nick.

On 18/07/2021 at 13:42, warwagon said:

Define hacked. Are you getting those tech support scams emails / phone calls saying your Amazon account has been hacked? Or has it actually been hacked?

Actually buying things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/07/2021 at 12:49, Bruinator said:

Gift card Nick.

Actually buying things.

You see things actually show up as purchased in your amazon account that you did not buy? Is your account setup on an Alexa Device? Could a child be talking to that device ordering stuff?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/07/2021 at 13:53, warwagon said:

You see things actually show up as purchased in your amazon account that you did not buy? Is your account setup on an Alexa Device? Could a child be talking to that device ordering stuff?

i dont have any kids. I have 1 nephew who never comes here and yes, amazon and i have seen these things on my account.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/07/2021 at 14:09, Bruinator said:

no

So do you guys recommend changing my yahoo password, changing my amazon account password and keeping 2 step verification as another measure of security?

 

I use a Lastpass manager as my way of remembering my PW's that I provide. Would it be safer to have Lastpass to generate the codes for me and save PW's that way?

 

Also, for some unknown reason my Cell phone provider didnt set up reaccuring payments when i switched back to them last month, some of you know i tried a different provider but i ended up swtiching back to them.

 

Your opinions on my lastpass question is appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Always use two factor where available. Have LastPass create you a nice 12+ character gibberish password for amazon, yahoo and any other website you can account with.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also personally recommend you doing a print out of your LastPass passwords and keeping it in a safety deposit box, safe or in a safe spot.

 

I also personally have  a portable version of Keep pass on two disconnected USB flash drives that I export my LastPass passwords into.

 

Case and point, one day LastPass had a hiccup on their server and twitter was going insane, it was pretty entertaining actually. Everyone was screaming ...ZOMG LastPass is down, I have work to do but can't log into any of my accounts!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/07/2021 at 11:26, warwagon said:

I also personally recommend you doing a print out of your LastPass passwords and keeping it in a safety deposit box, safe or in a safe spot.

 

I also personally have  a portable version of Keep pass on two disconnected USB flash drives that I export my LastPass passwords into.

 

Case and point, one day LastPass had a hiccup on their server and twitter was going insane, it was pretty entertaining actually. Everyone was screaming ...ZOMG LastPass is down, I have work to do but can't log into any of my accounts!!!!!

For some reason lastpass isnt working for me as I must be doing something wrong. I am logged out of amazon, deleted any entry of amazon in lastpass. When i go to amazon again, fill in user name, click on lastpass icon on the right and select to generate a password and it fills it in, click to sign in it says wrong password. 

 

What am I doing wrong plz?

 

TIA

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you checked your computer for viruses/malware? That is most likely how your info is getting leaked. You might even go one step further and use Sandboxie when you shop Amazon. Also change your email account. Get a brand new address on a different service and use it only for Amazon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/07/2021 at 23:15, jnelsoninjax said:

Have you checked your computer for viruses/malware? That is most likely how your info is getting leaked. You might even go one step further and use Sandboxie when you shop Amazon. Also change your email account. Get a brand new address on a different service and use it only for Amazon.

Those are great ideas, thx a bunch. Didnt think of email address just for amazon and sandboxie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/07/2021 at 18:00, Bruinator said:

For some reason lastpass isnt working for me as I must be doing something wrong. I am logged out of amazon, deleted any entry of amazon in lastpass. When i go to amazon again, fill in user name, click on lastpass icon on the right and select to generate a password and it fills it in, click to sign in it says wrong password. 

 

What am I doing wrong plz?

 

To me that sounds like you deleted the password you use to sign into Amazon. because when you generate a new one in your password manager you need to change it on the Amazon site itself first before getting rid of your old password and then using a new one the password manager generates.

 

that's why I always have multiple backup copies if my password managers password database file (I use 'Password Safe' from pwsafe.org as it's completely offline password storage only. I have been using this since roughly 2005-2007 with no problems ) in case anything happens to my primary database file.

 

p.s. but first I would make sure your computer is virus free. if your not sure, I would wipe the drive and reinstall the OS clean as then you can be pretty darn sure your computer is virus free. also, Gmail is definitely a better choice than Yahoo is for a mainstream email provider that's reliable. besides Yahoo email got hacked years ago exposing pretty much everyone which basically screams they can't be trusted. I still have a Yahoo email myself, but once I learned of that I made sure nothing important was tied to my Yahoo email.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/07/2021 at 17:00, Bruinator said:

For some reason lastpass isnt working for me as I must be doing something wrong. I am logged out of amazon, deleted any entry of amazon in lastpass. When i go to amazon again, fill in user name, click on lastpass icon on the right and select to generate a password and it fills it in, click to sign in it says wrong password. 

 

What am I doing wrong plz?

 

TIA

Not even close to how a password manager is used for this

 

  1. Log into amazon with your normal email and password.
  2. Navigate to you Account and to the change password feature
  3. User LastPass to generate a strong password.
  4. Paste that into the new password field 
  5. If LastPass offers to save the entry, let it but ensure it got both the email and password set
  6. Use LastPass to log into Amazon in the future
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/07/2021 at 07:08, Biscuits Brown said:

Not even close to how a password manager is used for this

 

  1. Log into amazon with your normal email and password.
  2. Navigate to you Account and to the change password feature
  3. User LastPass to generate a strong password.
  4. Paste that into the new password field 
  5. If LastPass offers to save the entry, let it but ensure it got both the email and password set
  6. Use LastPass to log into Amazon in the future

Now it is working correctly. TYVM for this. :):)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.