2080ti Type C port maximum refresh rate

Hi all, I have a weird new setup that I am hoping to get help on... the problem is I can't get 120Hz on my monitor (Dell AW3418DW resolution 3440x1440) when my docking station is connected to the type C port on the 2080ti. Connecting through display port works fine at 120Hz. I wanted to blame my docking station  but it supports the resolution and refresh rate. I have also confirmed this by plugging it into my XPS-13... works great (I know that's a thunderbolt port). 

So the problem seems to be the Type C port on the 2080ti... I read that this port supports virtual link which means it should do 4k at 120hz no problem... so I am a bit stuck on what to troubleshoot next. 

Only thing else plugged into the dock are my mouse and keyboard so I am not eating much bandwidth there.

One clue might be this line in the wiki for virtual link. 

"To achieve six high-speed lanes over USB-C, VirtualLink requires special cables that conform to version 1.3 of the USB-C standard and uses shielded differential pairs for both USB 2.0 pairs."

The dock has it's own integrated type C cable and is connected to my monitor using display port. Is that my answer? Is there anywhere else I can poke around? 

thanks in advance.

Hello,

Try connecting the Dell AW3418DW monitor directly to the USB-Type C port on the Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti using a USB Type C 3.1 gen 2 or USB4 cable that supports DisplayPort alternate mode.  There should not be any intermediate devices such as a dock plugged into the USB-Type C port on the video card.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 20/07/2021 at 16:46, goretsky said:

Hello,

Try connecting the Dell AW3418DW monitor directly to the USB-Type C port on the Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti using a USB Type C 3.1 gen 2 or USB4 cable that supports DisplayPort alternate mode.  There should not be any intermediate devices such as a dock plugged into the USB-Type C port on the video card.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I need the dock… it’s the weird new part of my setup. It lets me do one cable switch and use the same keyboard, mouse and monitor. 

considering alternatives like mouse without borders… but need to test how they work with my work vpn. The monitor only has one DisplayPort so I feel like I can’t get away from cable switching. KVMs are a bit too expensive if you want high resolution, multi monitor, high refresh rate support.

Hello,

You can reconnect the dock when you are done testing.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• 5 months later...

Hey Capr, did you ever find a solution to your problem? I'm having the same issue with a similar HP dock.

When I use just a display port from the hub to my LG27GN950 monitor I get 3840x2160 @ 95hz. Then, when I plug in to an ASUS monitor via HDMI at 1920x1080 @ 60hz I can only get 1920x1080 @ 60hz on the LG.

I'm guessing the 2080Ti USB C just isn't fast enough... shame