If you went back to Windows 7 for 1 week, 1 month or 1 year, what would you miss?

If you went back to Windows 7 for 1 week, 1 month, or 1 year, what would you miss that's not there in the OS? Let me start. SSD TRIM doesn't work on external SSDs in 7, so I'd want Windows 8.1 or 10 for that. What feature would you miss?

Honestly... This is a copout but I don't actually miss anything, I had to use Windows 7 up until last year due to work and although I probably did a few things in a different way, I've adapted.

Actually while typing this I've got one - all settings in control panel! Not that I miss control panel, just having everything in one place.

• Like 3

the native notification/action center is the biggest thing I'd miss.

I'd also miss the right click power menu on the start button as mentioned by another above.

Some of these could be remedied:

WSL

Enhanced Hyper-V

Nightingale (app)

Virtual desktops

Most of my work tools (IDEs mostly) that no longer support W7

Right click on start menu
Built-in recovery options / reset capability
Translucency

Those are the things off the top of my head. The built-in recovery options were the only good thing that came from 8, and they polished them in 10.

I moved away from Windows 7 back in 2012 both personal and professionally so it's been a while since I've actually used it, if I was to go back there's probably even more that's missing that would annoy me but these are the immediate things that come to mind:

Security Updates

HDPI Scaling (It's better in 10 than any previous version)

Forza

Xbox Integration

Game Bar (Use this a lot for clips and screenshots)

Photo App (I use the editor a lot)

Control over privacy options (I don't need every application to be allowed to use the microphone for example)

Notification Centre (This is really useful where supported)

Winkey + Shift + S Screenshots

Microsoft Account Integration (Not really good until 8 and even better in 10)

Windows Defender Integration

Start Screen & Live Tiles - It was even better in 8 but works fine in 10, it's very annoying that it's being removed in 11. In what world is scrolling through menus better than clicking on pinned tiles.

Windows Sandbox

DirectX12

I guess I'd miss the dark aesthetics of Windows 10. I don't remember there being dark themes for Windows 7...

Aside from that, so long as it continued to let me work and play I don't think I'd mind.

@Vince800has just reminded me of Winkey+Shift+S though. That's an incredibly handy screenshot tool that I would miss!

The File transfer window with the ability to pause and combine multiple transfers. I remember that feature was what originally sold me to Windows 10.

.....And Dark Mode.

On 30/07/2021 at 02:11, MarkusDarkus said:

The File transfer window with the ability to pause and combine multiple transfers. I remember that feature was what originally sold me to Windows 10.

.....And Dark Mode.

Now if we could get a full dark mode, that would be excellent.

• Like 1

On 30/07/2021 at 05:39, Ixion said:

The hugely improved task manager.

oh yeah for sure that one as well. the new task manager they introduced in 8 is FAR superior to the old one.

I used to use process explorer exclusively until I moved to 8 and now 10 as the base task manager has all I need now (Y) 

I'd miss not being able to multitask within windows 10 settings. Just kidding... I wouldn't miss that at all.

The right click on the start menu is pretty nice. In fact I was just helping a customer who had installed Classic shell in windows 10 and it does not have the right click menu, and it annoys the hell out of me.

Security. Didn't they stop updating it for normal people?

On 03/08/2021 at 21:15, warwagon said:

I'd miss not being able to multitask within windows 10 settings. Just kidding... I wouldn't miss that at all.

The right click on the start menu is pretty nice. In fact I was just helping a customer who had installed Classic shell in windows 10 and it does not have the right click menu, and it annoys the hell out of me.

Actually it has. Just Shift+right click. Or change its setting to show right click menu by default so regular right click shows the Windows right click menu (Win+X menu) and Shift+right click shows Classic Shell/Open Shell's own menu.

• 5 months later...
On 03/02/2022 at 13:59, OldGuru said:

I would not miss anything. If Nvidia kept releasing drivers for Nvidia 3000 series I would go back to Windows 7 right away.

Can't say as I'd miss anything either.

Things I would personally miss:

• Action/Notification Center
  • Multi-Monitor Taskbar Support
  • Improved Task Manager
  • The WP/WM style jump list in the Start Menu when you click on a letter
    image.png.576a6ca2e81517b037884da817ceeddd.png

• Mail app
  • Native SSH support
  • and a few other miscellaneous things

On 03/02/2022 at 13:08, Brandon H said:

Things I would personally miss:

• Action/Notification Center
  • Multi-Monitor Taskbar Support
  • Improved Task Manager
  • The WP/WM style jump list in the Start Menu when you click on a letter
    image.png.576a6ca2e81517b037884da817ceeddd.png

• Mail app
  • Native SSH support
  • and a few other miscellaneous things

All these and native ISO mounting support.

(And probably other things I can't remember right now)