Need help installing a system wide cert in Ubuntu client

On 09/08/2021 at 23:09, Jim K said:

I'm not sure that article is relavent now. I was able to import the unaltered cert into both firefox and chrome, directly from the browsers. No terminal needed.

BUT

The problem is I think dpi-ssl is causing problems with the package manager. 

I'm still learning about this stuff, so apologies for the ignorance. 

Yep, not having the sonciwall cert installed at the system level is causing problems with the update manager when it attempts to pull something down from https. 

On Windows, I just double click the cert and click through a couple of choices and its globally installed. Wish it was that easy here, lol.

On 09/08/2021 at 23:09, Jim K said:

Ok, so I actually sat down and followed that guide and it actually worked. Wasn't confident about it cause it was referencing quite an old version of Ubuntu. 

Oddly, even though the cert is imported to the OS, you still have to import the same cert into each browser that you plan on using. Importing into the OS only fixes the problem with your package manager/updater pulling down updates. 

Thanks for linking to the article!

You really need to READ everything in between the lines in Linux-based stuff.

I am not sure what you are doing, but maybe @BudMan can help.

On 12/08/2021 at 22:34, JustGeorge said:

Ok, so I actually sat down and followed that guide and it actually worked. Wasn't confident about it cause it was referencing quite an old version of Ubuntu. 

Oddly, even though the cert is imported to the OS, you still have to import the same cert into each browser that you plan on using. Importing into the OS only fixes the problem with your package manager/updater pulling down updates. 

Thanks for linking to the article!

Glad you got it working.  I haven't used Linux in a decade or so ... and the last time I installed certs on Linux was following a "hold your hand" guide when we were moving our PACS from GE to Agfa.  

On 12/08/2021 at 22:34, JustGeorge said:

you still have to import the same cert into each browser that you plan on using

That is because the browsers use their own store for the certs they trust vs just using the system store.  Same thing on windows systems.