Fortran to VB.Net conversion

Question

Hi, Does anyone know any good resources for converting some Fortran sub-routines to VB?

Cheers,

Pete

1 answer to this question

Hello,

I know a few consultants who do migration from COBOL, Fortran and 16-bit Windows to modern managed frameworks.  Are you looking to hire someone, or are you looking for tips on how to do this yourself?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By News Staff
      Learn AutoCAD Programming with this Certification Bundle for just $29.99
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals store where you can save 98% off this Learn AutoCAD Programming Certification Bundle. Become an AutoCAD Wizard with 67 hours of hands-on lectures on VBA, VB.NET, C#, AutoLISP, and C#.NET Programming.

This bundle consists of the following courses:

Learn AutoCAD Programming using VB.NET - Hands On!
      Gain Confidence to Create Your Own AutoCAD Plugin using VB.NET Programming AutoCAD VBA Programming - Beginner Course
      Gain a Solid Understanding of AutoCAD VBA Concepts & Fundamentals to Develop Your Own Applications AutoCAD to Excel - VBA Programming Hands-On!
      Learn How to Export & Import AutoCAD Drawings to Excel to Other Formats through VBA Programming AutoCAD Programming using C# with Windows Forms
      Learn AutoCAD Programming through C# by Developing Real World Applications Develop AutoCAD Plugins using VB.NET with Windows Forms
      Pick Up How to Develop AutoCAD Plugins using VB.NET with Windows Forms Programming AutoCAD to Excel using VB.NET - Hands-On!
      Develop AutoCAD Plugins that integrate with Excel & Text Files using VB.NET Practical AutoLISP Programming - Beginner to Advanced
      Learn from This Ultimate AutoLISP Programming Guide with Lots of Sample Programs AutoCAD Programming using C#.NET - Beginner Course
      Master The Fundamentals of C# Programming & Create AutoCAD Objects Through this Ultimate Guide Here's the deal:
      This Learn AutoCAD Programming Certification Bundle normally costs $1600 but it can be yours for just $29.99 for a limited time, that's a saving of $1570.01 (98%) off the price. For a full description, specs, and instructor info please click the link below.

Learn AutoCAD Programming Certification Bundle just $29.99
      Save 13% off this 20W Mini USB-C PD Charger
      From 0 to 50% in Just 30 Minutes! Fast Charge Your iOS Device on Any Plug with This 20W Charger, Plus an Extra USB-C PD to Lightning Cable.

Get the ZeroLemon Mini Charger for just $19.99 (list price $22) 13% off

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other deals on offer you can check out here.

Ivacy VPN - 5 years at 87% off NordVPN - 2 years at up to 68% off Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 79% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Giveaways: Apple Giveaway | Gaming Giveaway | Amazon Giveaway Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Welcome back: Fortran rejoins list of top 20 popular programming languages
      by Usama Jawad

The TIOBE index is one of the metrics used to determine the popularity of a programming language. It does not indicate which programming language is the best or which has the most lines of code written in it. Rather, it utilizes information related to search queries that were issued across various engines and sites such as Google, Wikipedia, Bing, Amazon, YouTube, and more to determine the popularity of a particular programming language.

The April 2021 edition of the TIOBE index is now live and it marks the surprise return of an ancient programming language, Fortran, in the top 20 list.

Notably, Objective-C has finally dropped from the top 20 rankings. This is not surprising considering Apple announced Swift as its replacement back in 2014. What's really surprising is the return of Fortran to the top 20 index. Fortran first appeared back in 1957, and is obviously not widely used anymore. Back in April 2020, the language ranked 34, but has been consistently climbing in terms of popularity and is now back in the top 20.

The programming languages included in the TIOBE top 20 index are listed below:

C Java Python C++ C# Visual Basic JavaScript Assembly Language PHP SQL Classic Visual Basic Delphi/Object Pascal Ruby Go Swift R Groovy Perl MATLAB Fortran The top five positions have remained mostly consistent in the past few years or so, but other interesting observations also include Assembly Language which has broken the top 10 barrier, and is now ahead of PHP and SQL.

Other entries in the top 50 programming languages on the TIOBE index also include SAS, Scratch, COBOL, Scala, T-SQL, Rust, Kotlin, and more. TIOBE says that its index can be used to determine how up to date your programming knowledge is, and can also be utilized to decide which programming language to use when developing a new software. You can find out more details over here.

• By wrack
      Hi,

Being given a task to analyse and collect info on all code paths for a very very large monolithic .NET Web app that is used across various clients.

Thinking about adding in some reflection type code that basically collects data of run-time code path taken depending on the params passed to various methods.

Once I have the data, need to start removing/deprecating code that never gets used in few months in real world. Along with refactoring and adding more test coverage on major code paths to improve quality.

I am aware of unit testing approach but this app is 13+ years old and unit testing can't be just added, can't be easily refactored without breaking something, can't be easily re-written.

Are there any tools frameworks that can be integrated into existing code that would allow me to collect such data?

Not looking for code samples but if anyone has it then awesome. Any help, general guidance, software/framework recommendation would be highly appreciated.

Something like Google Analytics but for the actual source code itself.

TA
    • By Farchord
      So I am working on setting up a new (private) bot for Microsoft Teams that should be able to post messages in a channel on-demand. I already have a bot coded for Google Hangouts Chat, but Microsoft Teams is giving me a really hard time.
      I've been searching for over 10 hours now all over the web, and I am very confused.

Right now, all I want to do is post cards to a Microsoft Teams Channel. So I created the connectorclient, I used the baseuri provided when the bot joined the channel (Starts with smba.trafficmanager.net) with my MSAppID and MSAppPassword. Then, I fill in as much information as I can (Maybe too much?) and I submit the information using the connector's .conversations.createconversation.

Namespaces used: Microsoft.bot.connector, Microsoft.bot.connector.teams.models

Here's the code:

Dim Connector As New ConnectorClient(New Uri("https://smba.trafficmanager.net/amer/"), "MSAPPID", "MSAPPPASSWORD") Dim conversation As New ConversationParameters Dim activity2 = Activity.CreateMessageActivity Dim bot As New ChannelAccount bot.Id = "BOTID" bot.Name = "EDD Bot Test" conversation.Bot = bot Dim chaninfo As New ChannelInfo chaninfo.Id = "CHANID" chaninfo.Name = "General" Dim teaminfo As New TeamInfo teaminfo.Id = "TEAMID" teaminfo.Name = "EDD" activity2.Text = "Test" activity2.ServiceUrl = "https://smba.trafficmanager.net/amer/" activity2.Type = ActivityTypes.Message activity2.From = bot activity2.ChannelId = "msteams" Dim tenantdata As New TenantInfo tenantdata.Id = "TENANTID" Dim teamschanneldata As New TeamsChannelData teamschanneldata.Channel = chaninfo teamschanneldata.Team = teaminfo teamschanneldata.Tenant = tenantdata activity2.ChannelData = teamschanneldata conversation.Activity = activity2 Response.Write(JsonConvert.SerializeObject(conversation)) Try Dim reqresp As ConversationResourceResponse = Connector.Conversations.CreateConversation(conversation) Response.Write("ActivityID: " & reqresp.ActivityId & ", ServiceURL: " & reqresp.ServiceUrl & ", ID: " & reqresp.ServiceUrl) Catch ex As ErrorResponseException Response.Write(ex.Response.Content & " " & ex.Response.ReasonPhrase) End Try This is what the API returns:

{"message":"Authorization has been denied for this request."} Unauthorized

Keep in mind, I'm not even 100% sure I'm using the right method to create the channel message, I figured it was either CreateConversation or ReplyToActivity.
      I gave the app Users.ReadWriteAll permissions too, so am I missing something? That error leads me to think it doesn't have anything to do with the ConversationParameters payload but something to do with authentication.

Thank you.
    • By Lirbo
      Hey everybody!

I faced some issues when I tried to send a numpad key.
      SendKeys.Send({Numpad0}) doesn't work.
      I also tried to change it to NumPad and NUMPAD, even to Num.
      but nothing seems to work properly, how can I do that?