What is your Intel / AMD CPU & AMD / NVIDIA GPU leanings?

Which way do you lean?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which way do you lean for processor?

2. 2. Which way do you lean for GPU?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/12/21 at 22:59

The previous topic ran for three years, although we aren't getting the votes and posts we used to, I think this still should be a yearly topic.

I will start, back when I voted in 2018 I had an Intel i5-4440 (previous self build) i7-8700 (in a Dell that I sold on) currently have i9-9900K in a self build PC. For GPU it is Nvidia: had 1050 GTX (then 1060 ripped from Dell) in the previous self build, in my current rig I have a RTX 2070 SUPER.

Think you have the pole wrong...

For CPU, it's Intel vs AMD

They do have NVIDIA CPU's, but not wide-spread.

Anyway, I now have a Ryzen 5 2600. Very soon, I will be moving to a Ryzen 9 5900HX (yes, mobile CPU)

Right now I have a RX 580, but in the future, plan to go with an AMD APU.

Edited by Mindovermaster

On 22/08/2021 at 15:33, Mindovermaster said:

Think you have the pole wrong...

For CPU, it's Intel vs AMD

They do have NVIDIA CPU's, but not wide-spread.

Fixed ;) 😛 

I ordered an i5 750 the day they launched in 2009 because my A64 X2 4200+ died literally the day before... since then I had a few other Intel cpus - 2500K, 3570K, and an 8600K.

...then AMD launched Zen 3, effectively dethroning Intel - now I'm back on AMD with a 5900X.

It's been excellent - the 5900X is an absolute beast - my only gripe is that it's power hungry at idle, especially compared to the 8600K. Good to see AMD back in the running!

• Like 2

I have been an Intel die hard forever. Yet my two most recent builds are AMD and I have absolutely no complaints so feel I am converted for now.

But nVidia for sure - mostly down to their software.

Until somerthing RADICAL happens...

Intel and Nvidia for me, thanks. Not going to support the underdog just because.  They really need to show that they are the best now. And then I will buy.

Nvidia - so far is been great to me. Intel - not so sure but still... 

Might consider and review AMD laptops next time I buy 

• 2 months later...

I used to be a very AMD/AMD leaning buyer (though I brought Intel during the period of AMD's horrible FX products). Over the years i've actually owned more Intel chips, but I prefer buying AMD when it can be justified.

GPU wise, I used to lean AMD because you tend to get more bang for your buck in the budget/mid range segment. I wasn't one of those people that had any issues with the AMD drivers in the past, but since the release of Windows 10, they just seem to have gotten progressively worse. When my RX480 died I would probably have still replaced it with a 6600xt if it had been reasonably priced, but the only thing in my price bracket I wanted to use was a used GTX 1080. I really hate the nVidia control panel, it's slow and ugly but the experience with the card even in the 2 months i've had it has been a lot better (2 of my favourite games inexplicably got broken by newer Radeon drivers and were never fixed, but with the nVidia drivers i've only had one issue that I could work around fairly easily). I only game at 1080p/75hz, no high FPS e-sports so even the GTX 1080 is still overkill for most of what I routinely play.

So although I expect Alder Lake to be a significant improvement, I'll probably be sticking with AMD/nVidia for the foreseeable future.

(As a small side note, undervolting is easier with the AMD drivers, but this card actually undervolts further, and runs more stably. I've been able to get it very comfortable at 950mv/2GHZ, and even at full load it only draws about as much as the RX 480 did. Pascal's efficiency is pretty insane).

Edited by Noir Angel
More info.

I am a die hard Intel/Nvidia fan. 

I made a foray into AMD with the Threadripper (16 core 32 threads) .... which was pretty impressive. But i dont know, my normal workloads just felt off.... I have nothing to back that statement up. But when i made a change to an i9-9900K, it was just so much better!

Currently I am on i9-11900K, Asus Rog Strix RTX2080-Ti 11GB GPU.... was also an Asus fan for mobo's, but made a change to the MSI Z590 Godlike board.... and must admit... yowser..... quick! 

Am looking forward to a 12th gen build. Most prob i9-12900K & Z690 Godlike board again.... will see :) 

I was turned off to AMD because I saw too often how hot their CPUs ran. I owned a Acer Ferrari 5000 laptop which had an Athlon, and just with normal usage it was too hot to have on my lap (Okay that was 14 years ago, but even then, Athlon was a mature product). I also helped several people back in the day and everyone I helped through their PC randomly shutting down mostly has an AMD system with poor ventilation around the case.

So that stuck with me, and that is why I have always bought Intel. These days it does seem like Ryzen offers more than its Intel counterpart.

• Steven P. changed the title to What is your Intel / AMD CPU & AMD / NVIDIA GPU leanings?
On 01/11/2021 at 07:46, Steven P. said:

I was turned off to AMD because I saw too often how hot their CPUs ran. I owned a Acer Ferrari 5000 laptop which had an Athlon, and just with normal usage it was too hot to have on my lap (Okay that was 14 years ago, but even then, Athlon was a mature product). I also helped several people back in the day and everyone I helped through their PC randomly shutting down mostly has an AMD system with poor ventilation around the case.

So that stuck with me, and that is why I have always bought Intel. These days it does seem like Ryzen offers more than its Intel counterpart.

Yeah I'm very similar, I was turned off by how cheap AMD video cards are (durability-wise) even though I'm pretty sure what I experienced was a fluke. If AMD would overtake nvidia and be competitive ($-wise) I would find it in myself to try them again though.

As far as processors go, I will always go with AMD unless they get seriously overtaken by Intel (Like in the pre-ryzen days). If they are close together, I would hate to take for the company that isn't forthcoming (They keep trying to pull tricks in their benchmarks, and they keep on hiding things to make themselves look better, and I'd be damned if I'd encourage this sort of thing)

my very first cpu in a pc i built was an amd X5 133 p75 clone then followed by a run of intels from the 166mmx 200mmx 233mmx p2 celerons p3 celeons normal p3's then i jumped ship back to amd through the whole athlon XP range and the athlon 64 X2, once that died i think i bought my first core i5 760 the another 4th gen i5 a 4th gen i7 then my current 10thgen i7.

gfx card wise first cards were 3dfx/sis/creative/intel and a couple of lowlife geforce 2 mx cards geforce 4. then my first amd card was the radeon 9700pro then pretty much went back to nvidia havnt gone back to amd since

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 14/11/2021 at 15:05, trek said:

Intel and nVidia (10700K and 3080). Been this way for 20 years and not changing.

why not? even with AM5 and newer gpus?

On 05/01/2022 at 10:15, ultimate99 said:

why not? even with AM5 and newer gpus?

Fanboyism at it's best.

On 05/01/2022 at 11:47, Mindovermaster said:

Fanboyism at it's best.

It's his right to ignore facts for ideologism, like it is for people deep into religions...

I used to be a major Apple fanboy (And then an Android fanboy.... and then an Apple fanboy again.... I flip-flopped alot) but I just stopped lol

• Like 1

• goretsky unpinned this topic