Tips for a PC gamer trying to aim with a control pad?

Treated myself to an xbox elite controller, I have no problem with playing a bunch of games with this, but when it comes to aiming in first person, how the frig are you supposed to hit anything accurately?

even if it's not a moving target, and even with tweaking the sensativity, it's like, left a bit, right a bit, left a bit, right a bit, can never actually stop on the target though and it's hopeless if the target is moving.

Decided to replay New Vegas with this on the TV via my PC and was like... gonna have to be a melee build..

And just to be clear, I'm absolutely fine with certain types of game, was playing Fallen Order last night no probs whatsoever (It's not like I haven't used a controller before, I've been using them on and off for about 5 years now after being a PC gamer since about 1996 just for context) 

How anyone actually manages to play online team and pvp games is beyond me, there must be a trick to it that I'm not getting. Do console FPS gamers, tend to shoot while still rotating or something? Kinda hit the target as you pass it?

Play Halo, that got me used to playing FPS games with a controller back in the early 2000's. Some games really are better suited to controller than others though.

I played a lot of Xbox 360 back in the day, to the point where I found it easier to play some FPS games on the PC with the Xbox 360 controller. I could hold my own on Black Ops 2 playing against people using a mouse and keyboard.

Some games a controller just doesn't work however, I can't say if Fallout is one of those games as I've never played it. The new remaster of Quake on PC is so much easier with a mouse and keyboard compared to the Xbox controller in my opinion.

The more you play with a controller the easier it gets is the best advice I can give you, as a PC gamer who got in to consoles years later I never thought i'd enjoy playing FPS games with a controller, however you will just gradually get better and it and learn to adapt your play style.

• Like 2

On 31/08/2021 at 13:26, cacoe said:

Decided to replay New Vegas with this on the TV via my PC and was like... gonna have to be a melee build..

Specifically for Fallout, use V.A.T.S.

On 31/08/2021 at 13:14, Nick H. said:

Specifically for Fallout, use V.A.T.S.

Good point but I didn't necessarily have to rely on a specific game mechanic to get by because it isn't usually an option 😅

On 31/08/2021 at 13:12, InsaneNutter said:

Play Halo, that got me used to playing FPS games with a controller back in the early 2000's. Some games really are better suited to controller than others though.

I played a lot of Xbox 360 back in the day, to the point where I found it easier to play some FPS games on the PC with the Xbox 360 controller. I could hold my own on Black Ops 2 playing against people using a mouse and keyboard.

Some games a controller just doesn't work however, I can't say if Fallout is one of those games as I've never played it. The new remaster of Quake on PC is so much easier with a mouse and keyboard compared to the Xbox controller in my opinion.

The more you play with a controller the easier it gets is the best advice I can give you, as a PC gamer who got in to consoles years later I never thought i'd enjoy playing FPS games with a controller, however you will just gradually get better and it and learn to adapt your play style.

Is there any particular Halo in 2021 that I could skip right to without prior knowledge of the franchise? I remember playing Halo 2 briefly just after completing HL2 when it came out and thought.... this reminds me of Unreal from 1998, what's all the fuss?

• Like 1

It just takes a long time to learn to do it if you are not used to it...

And some games are more difficult then others for aimimg with controller.

I personally could not do it for some games so I just went to  k&m

I personally gave up on FPS with controllers. This is one genre of game that is just better with a keyboard and mouse. Just wish all Xbox games supported K+M.

• Like 1

On 31/08/2021 at 08:28, tsupersonic said:

I personally gave up on FPS with controllers. This is one genre of game that is just better with a keyboard and mouse. Just wish all Xbox games supported K+M.

I wish games would support a joystick/mouse combo setup personally. best of both worlds giving analog movement and analog camera. I once had this working via a remapper using the PS Navigation controller from the original PS3 motion controllers along with my mouse. the wireless functionality was iffy on windows though with the custom driver so I ended up ditching the setup but I loved it and wish it was more common

image.thumb.png.c2ce18a3e5c36dc224cb480d60247598.png

On 31/08/2021 at 14:13, cacoe said:

Is there any particular Halo in 2021 that I could skip right to without prior knowledge of the franchise? I remember playing Halo 2 briefly just after completing HL2 when it came out and thought.... this reminds me of Unreal from 1998, what's all the fuss?

Halo Reach is a prequel to Halo Combat Evolved, the first Halo game.

I really enjoyed Reach and that's now included with the Master Chief Collection on Windows, so could be a good game to start with.

On 31/08/2021 at 14:28, tsupersonic said:

I actually have a steam controller which was great when it was fully supported but a lot of titles just don't work as intended any more. Hard to explain if you haven't used one but the touchpad has a joystick emulation mode which is horrible, or it can do this thing called mouse emulation, which sends xinput info but behaves like a mouse. Some games enforce their own profiles now, you can't seem to customise the profile at all (I'm looking at you NMS) - also, it feels so cheap, horrible to use in that respect. Made it from start to finish in borderlands with the steam controller. If only they released a premium version of the controller, that'd be perfecto. The elite controller feels amazing in the hands. 

On 31/08/2021 at 14:46, Brandon H said:

I wish games would support a joystick/mouse combo setup personally. best of both worlds giving analog movement and analog camera. I once had this working via a remapper using the PS Navigation controller from the original PS3 motion controllers along with my mouse. the wireless functionality was iffy on windows though with the custom driver so I ended up ditching the setup but I loved it and wish it was more common

image.thumb.png.c2ce18a3e5c36dc224cb480d60247598.png

Gyroscope on steam controller was great for FPS. Completed Borderlands 2 with that.

On 31/08/2021 at 10:12, cacoe said:

Gyroscope on steam controller was great for FPS.

for sure. especially when looking down the sights of snipers and such.

the touch pads are nice as well though do take a bit of getting used to.

It's actually part of why I'm looking forward to the Steam Deck, it will have both thumb sticks as well as the touch pads so you can play how you like which should be very cool

On 31/08/2021 at 16:19, Brandon H said:

for sure. especially when looking down the sights of snipers and such.

the touch pads are nice as well though do take a bit of getting used to.

It's actually part of why I'm looking forward to the Steam Deck, it will have both thumb sticks as well as the touch pads so you can play how you like which should be very cool

I'll put it this way, using the touchpad for look on the steam controller takes a couple of days to get used to vs the xbox controller (which tbh, I'd been stealing my brothers repeatedly for about 5 years until I got my own 🤣) still doesn't feel right after all this time.

I basically got it for sofa playing and compatiblity.