Ports disconnected on Ubiquiti switch; how to open up

A friend of mine is having trouble with his Ubiquiti UniFi Switch FLEX Mini; no signal is coming thorugh.

For some reason, ports 2-5 are disconnected.

In/during the initial setup the switch worked, but "something" [what, he doesn't know specifically] has changed.

When putting the RJ45-connector (going in port 1) directly into his notebook, the internet signal is coming through. So, I guess it's somethin in/on this switch.

Restoring the switch to factory setting hasn't helped.

He thinks it might have something to do with DHCP option 43 setting which shuts down the ports 2-5.

Can this -indeed- be the cause? And how can he fix this/open up these ports? Does he need to log in on the IP-address of this switch? Or is is something a little deeper into his network? (and how to troubleshoot this).

There's a little "plus"; the WiFi in the same room is working, so there's some internet. But he prefers the wired, and more, stable setup.

Ubi.jpeg

What the hell is DHCP option 43?

Restart the switch. If needed, forget device, hard reset it, and then re-provision. 

That is a lot of ports to be disconnected, is the switch under warranty?

Edit: now that I’ve googled option 43, I don’t see how it would disable those ports and even if it did, they would say disabled, not disconnected.

482CE861-16F9-48E5-A66D-0B90D5451E43.thumb.jpeg.910c004700a8e412b35745296a6105ea.jpeg

Edited by adrynalyne

And what port profile does he have applied to the switch ports?

Does he have the ports disabled? Doesn't look like it from the screenshot.  But still need to know what profile is setup on them.  Does he get a light on the switch port when connects something?

profile.jpg.8e5397039a4bf8883836f9b514b149ab.jpg

I just got a mini to play with.. Not having any issues with it.  Laptop is currently off, which is why showing disconnected on port 5.

Why is he using option 43, this would be for layer 3 adoption..

On 07/09/2021 at 10:37, BudMan said:

And what port profile does he have applied to the switch ports?

Does he have the ports disabled? Doesn't look like it from the screenshot.  But still need to know what profile is setup on them.  Does he get a light on the switch port when connects something?

profile.jpg.8e5397039a4bf8883836f9b514b149ab.jpg

I just got a mini to play with.. Not having any issues with it.  Laptop is currently off, which is why showing disconnected on port 5.

Why is he using option 43, this would be for layer 3 adoption..

The setup is:

Dream machine, than PoE USW, and switch

I'll check with the profile & lights...

Ports are set to 'All'
There is only 1 light on port 1
Restart, forget, renew adoption have all been done.

Around 3.10 on there is this Option 43 explained, which might be adopted?! What do you guys think?

You only need option 43 if your having to do L3 option - ie the the switch is not on the same L2 as your controller for the management vlan.

Nothing you have stated suggests such a thing.. So no idea why he is using that - but that would have nothing to do with it.  But if your not getting any lights, then the interfaces are disabled, or the cable is bad - or the ports are bad.. Or the device interface you plugging is bad.  No matter what profile is on the things you should get a light when you connect a device to it, unless it was disabled.

Are you providing power to it via usb plug to AC, or are you powering the thing via poe?  Are you trying to plug in poe powered device into ports 2-5?  The flex-mini has no poe output support, it can not passthru or power poe devices, it can only be power via poe on port 1.  So if what your plugging in is needing poe, its not going to work or light up the interface you plug it into.

I guess it might be possible for not to get a link light if some sort of ODD profile was on the ports.. But the profile unless disabled should have nothing to do with the link light showing.

Just for being complete - what firmware is on the mini?  I have 1.8.4.674, which from everything I can find is the latest.