no display after taking gpu out and putting it back

Specs:

EVGA rtx 2070 super

i7 8700k 

asus z370-p

16 gb ddr4 2666 Mhz

corsair rm850x psu

corsair aio water cooler

My pc's been working completely fine for almost a year now, been adding new components, most recent addition was an m.2 drive. I took out my gpu so I didn't have to worry about hitting it when I was putting my m.2 drive in, put it back, and now pc won't give a display. Turns on completely fine (fans spin and lights turn on) just no input. GPU will spin its fans for about 20-30 seconds before shutting off. display port cable has been pulled out and put back repeatedly to see if it's not seated properly, tried using an HDMI cable instead, monitor will turn on but just goes to power saving mode, have pulled out gpu and put back in several times just to see if it'll work, power cables are all proper. It was working 100% fine before I pulled it out and put it back. The only thing I think could possibly have changed was when I pulled out the gpu I might have tugged a little hard on it pulling out of the PCIe slot but I don't believe I see any physical damage, and when I was putting it back the screw used to hold it in to the back of the case it fell off and into the graphics card, had to jostle it around slightly to let it fallout but it looked like it was nestled around the heatsink so I don't think it hit the PCB at all. Would appreciate any diagnostics I could do to see if I actually hit a capacitor off or something or if it just needs some trial and error. thanks.

Assuming you don't have a spare GPU to test out the motherboard.  Guessing you don't a speaker hooked up to the board to alert you of any complaints it is having?  Taking a quick look at this board I don't think it has any diagnostic LEDs.

I would try the other PCIe slot and see if you get video.  It'll be x4...but still.  If no video...clear the CMOS?  If no video...find a spare GPU?

Maybe your BIOS reset, does your motherboard have Video out?  Try plugging your monitor in there and check the BIOS to see if it's even seeing that you have a dedicated GPU installed.

• Like 2

motherboard video out won't work - I have a laptop and used an HDMI cable to output to the monitor and I know it's not the cable or monitor, but using that same cable and monitor won't give me a display.

On 23/09/2021 at 13:39, Matthew S. said:

Maybe your BIOS reset, does your motherboard have Video out?  Try plugging your monitor in there and check the BIOS to see if it's even seeing that you have a dedicated GPU installed.

Hello,

Just to check, are the power cables that run from the EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER video card to the Corsair RM805X power supply firmly attached?  If they became loose while working on the PC that could explain the problem.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 23/09/2021 at 19:42, hayden1o1 said:

motherboard video out won't work - I have a laptop and used an HDMI cable to output to the monitor and I know it's not the cable or monitor, but using that same cable and monitor won't give me a display.

It won't work?  It should work (mobo has video out + supported CPU)...did you try clearing the CMOS ... what Goretsky suggested ... and if all else fails the other PCIe slot?

I had indentical behaviour and it turned out to be my CPU (9900K), within less than 18 months. It would boot fine and the fans and RGB all running and no output even on onboard graphics. I managed to get back into Windows a few times then it gave up, but looked like it was booting OK with no audible or visual errors.

Fortunately I bought from a store with a counter (SCAN) who were able to test it and confirmed bad.

On 24/09/2021 at 23:43, SouthGate said:

I had indentical behaviour and it turned out to be my CPU (9900K), within less than 18 months. It would boot fine and the fans and RGB all running and no output even on onboard graphics. I managed to get back into Windows a few times then it gave up, but looked like it was booting OK with no audible or visual errors.

Fortunately I bought from a store with a counter (SCAN) who were able to test it and confirmed bad.

Hey, anything in your computer can go bad.. could be a capacitor that blew..