I purchased the iPhone 13 pro Max

I have been an Android user for 10 years and I feel like I need to get away from Google and their ecosystem. I already have an iMac, MacBook Pro and a MacPro but I have never jump ship on the iPhone platform yet. Does anyone in here have the iPhone 13 Pro? can someone confirm if it's working without issue on T-Mobile? I purchased the phone without specific carrier.

I am suppose to get the phone sometime in November.

..... and here i was hoping you were going to follow the heading with... and regretted it 😁 😆

I know it isnt an answer to your question, am also an android user since... well, quite some time now! I dont see myself changing to an iSheep device. I have to use one for work, and i hate the thing!

• Facepalm 2

My iPhone 13 Pro Max works on T-Mobile.  I'm a new T-Mobile user.  I was a sprint user.  When i ordered my ProMax, I was on sprint.  It came in, and they swapped out the sim card. for a tmobile sim card.  They also had to call sprint, or tmobile to get me switched over.  The biggest hassle was the folks at TMobile having to wait on the phone support to get me and my family switched over.  I had pretty good service when I was out in the middle of the mountains in Kentucky last weekend.  it wasn't perfect, but it mostly worked, which is better than my sprint experience.  Hopefully some of this helps.

On 05/10/2021 at 10:45, macoman said:

I have been an Android user for 10 years and I feel like I need to get away from Google and their ecosystem. I already have an iMac, MacBook Pro and a MacPro but I have never jump ship on the iPhone platform yet. Does anyone in here have the iPhone 13 Pro? can someone confirm if it's working without issue on T-Mobile? I purchased the phone without specific carrier.

I am suppose to get the phone sometime in November.

Any iPhone will work on any carrier. They only make one model for the US.

On 05/10/2021 at 10:55, Sulphy said:

..... and here i was hoping you were going to follow the heading with... and regretted it 😁 😆

I know it isnt an answer to your question, am also an android user since... well, quite some time now! I dont see myself changing to an iSheep device. I have to use one for work, and i hate the thing!

Your work requires you to use an iPhone?

T-Mobile is the preferred network for 5G in the states right now so you'll be fine there. As for the phone itself, it's all personal preference; and since you're already invested pretty heavily in Apple products you'll be just fine :)

On 05/10/2021 at 09:55, Sulphy said:

Do you have any legitimate issues with an iPhone, or do you just hate on it because that's the "cool" thing to do?  Going by your tone, I suspect the latter.

• Like 3

On 05/10/2021 at 11:06, Astra.Xtreme said:

Do you have any legitimate issues with an iPhone, or do you just hate on it because that's the "cool" thing to do?  Going by your tone, I suspect the latter.

Based on the fact he mentioned uses an Android phone AND iPhone it sounded like it was an opinion based on direct experience with both.

On 05/10/2021 at 10:14, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

Based on the fact he mentioned uses an Android phone AND iPhone it sounded like it was an opinion based on direct experience with both.

Of course, but I'm still interested in details.  iPhones aren't the holy grail of the industry by any means, but his stance of why he "hates the iSheep device" has me curious.

• Like 1

On 05/10/2021 at 11:22, Astra.Xtreme said:

Of course, but I'm still interested in details.  iPhones aren't the holy grail of the industry by any means, but his stance of why he "hates the iSheep device" has me curious.

Well just ask why he doesn't care for the iPhone and leave it at that.  You are not aware of the typical reasons especially for a person who uses Android, Linux, and/or Windows? LOL

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 05/10/2021 at 11:50, macoman said:

What makes me switched to iPhone is when I read this article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveywinder/2021/10/03/google-confirms-a-powerful-security-rewind-for-2-billion-users/?sh=292467d537dd

and I read somewhere that Apple is making their iPhones more secure than ever before. So that makes me have a peace of mind.

First of all, don't read Forbes for tech information LOL but what was your concern from this article? Google is increasing PRIVACY via more user control with app permissions and a limitation/reset on previous granted permissions. What's the issue? Apple is actuality looking to poke some holes in user privacy with their CSAM scanning and Apple has been hit a number of security issues of late.

Google has always been top notch for security. Don't confuse that what some OEMs do with Android. Any gap between the platforms for security or privacy are much thinner today than ever. Why switch now?

On 05/10/2021 at 15:59, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

Any iPhone will work on any carrier. They only make one model for the US.

Your work requires you to use an iPhone?

My work doesnt require me to use an iPhone, we are issued with them, and MDM controlled etc... dont get the option to pick a phone to use.  Considering how much i have to use the phone, being locked into an iphone isnt a great experience... just a personal preference :)

On 05/10/2021 at 09:43, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

First of all, don't read Forbes for tech information LOL but what was your concern from this article? Google is increasing PRIVACY via more user control with app permissions and a limitation/reset on previous granted permissions. What's the issue? Apple is actuality looking to poke some holes in user privacy with their CSAM scanning and Apple has been hit a number of security issues of late.

Google has always been top notch for security. Don't confuse that what some OEMs do with Android. Any gap between the platforms for security or privacy are much thinner today than ever. Why switch now?

I totally disagree with you when it comes to security.  The problem is Android ecosystem.  If you take a look at certain metrics such as:

App marketplace security. Apple closely inspects every app on its app store, which might reduce the number of apps available, but helps to reduce malware riddled apps. 

Iphones integrated design makes security vulnerabilities less frequent and harder to find.

I would also argue the OS updates are more frequent on IOS.  I have a 6s from 7 years ago that is on the latest version IOS.

I have tried apps made for both IOS and Android just feel better on IOS rather than Android. I think this is because developers have to target a huge range of Android devices.

That being said there are plenty of downsides to the iphone and IOS ecosystem. Its more locked down ecosystem.  There are many features such a notifications that are superior on Android to IOS.

On 05/10/2021 at 16:06, Astra.Xtreme said:

LOL... not at all !!!! I am not a fan of the interface... the device is "sexy" ... good looking ... or whatever. I just generally prefer Android. Bit more freedom, and the way it integrates with my lifestyle.... One of my biggest gripes, is the small screen, maybe if work issued us with the much larger screened devices (at one helluva cost....) i might not be as negative. 

I liked iphones when they very first came out... but that infatuation waned very quickly..... 

On 05/10/2021 at 16:45, Dick Montage said:

Edgy A F!

HA! ... oh man, lookit, I am by nature a bit of a sarcastic person, and no malice or hurting of feelings are intended. I get ALL sorts of flak for being a msft / android fanboy... not a linux fan etc etc..... so, if my iSheep comment has offended anyone, i apologise....

If i have offended anyone.... i apologise  😆 😁

• Like 1

On 05/10/2021 at 13:16, Melfster said:

I totally disagree with you when it comes to security.  The problem is Android ecosystem.  If you take a look at certain metrics such as:

App marketplace security. Apple closely inspects every app on its app store, which might reduce the number of apps available, but helps to reduce malware riddled apps. 

Iphones integrated design makes security vulnerabilities less frequent and harder to find.

I would also argue the OS updates are more frequent on IOS.  I have a 6s from 7 years ago that is on the latest version IOS.

I have tried apps made for both IOS and Android just feel better on IOS rather than Android. I think this is because developers have to target a huge range of Android devices.

That being said there are plenty of downsides to the iphone and IOS ecosystem. Its more locked down ecosystem.  There are many features such a notifications that are superior on Android to IOS.

Every store has had problems but sure Google could tighten things up better for sure.

iOS updates are more frequent? Well they have to be since the OS is not very modular. LOL Google can push updates for Play Services, their included apps, and even drivers (their own phones) now at anytime WITHOUT an OS update (all not possible with iOS) but they do also release OS security updates monthly.

Google is working on integrating things more as they about to release their own SoC (without the platform lock-in).

Sorry, I don't really care about crap apps that get into the Play Store I will never install or seven year old phones. I am talking about if a Neowin reader buys a Pixel 5, Samsung Galaxy S21 , or an iPhone 13 right now is there really a practical security difference overall with any option?

I hate saying it but I'm not thrilled with the new look of Android in 12. Has me considering the Dark Apple side once more.

There was rumor of a notchless one ... I await new on that front.

On 05/10/2021 at 14:15, margrave said:

I hate saying it but I'm not thrilled with the new look of Android in 12. Has me considering the Dark Apple side once more.

There was rumor of a notchless one ... I await new on that front.

Funny, I like Material You as far as the look with the OS itself (homescreen, settings, etc.) but not how it has been implemented in some Google apps and widgets. I would say having some ability to customize the UI now is huge over what was offered in the past with the Pixel Launcher.

On 05/10/2021 at 13:14, Sulphy said:

My work doesnt require me to use an iPhone, we are issued with them, and MDM controlled etc... dont get the option to pick a phone to use.  Considering how much i have to use the phone, being locked into an iphone isnt a great experience... just a personal preference :)

I am still confused. LOL Are you required to use an iPhone or not?

On 05/10/2021 at 11:12, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

Every store has had problems but sure Google could tighten things up better for sure.

iOS updates are more frequent? Well they have to be since the OS is not very modular. LOL Google can push updates for Play Services, their included apps, and even drivers (their own phones) now at anytime WITHOUT an OS update (all not possible with iOS) but they do also release OS security updates monthly.

Google is working on integrating things more as they about to release their own SoC (without the platform lock-in).

Sorry, I don't really care about crap apps that get into the Play Store I will never install or seven year old phones. I am talking about if a Neowin reader buys a Pixel 5, Samsung Galaxy S21 , or an iPhone 13 right now is there really a practical security difference overall with any option?

Again I disagree there are QUALCOMM bugs that are still not patched in Android. Google security patches  while better then before are still not great.  I would suggest looking at security researches that compare Android and IOS. 

On 05/10/2021 at 14:53, Melfster said:

Again I disagree there are QUALCOMM bugs that are still not patched in Android. Google security patches  while better then before are still not great.  I would suggest looking at security researches that compare Android and IOS. 

What were you disagreeing with exactly? LOL All my statements were actually factual.

All companies have had issues with timely patches at times. Apple included. Google is really good with security patches so I don't know what you are talking about. An example from my previous remark about updates...  Chrome gets security patches quicker than Safari and the browser is low hanging fruit security wise.

Talking about security related reading... You haven't noticed the uptick in reported Apple related vulnerabilities found lately?

No answer for my question?

Sorry I don't trust you. I do however trust security researchers who have compared Android devices and Apple devices.  Anybody who thinks google is security god is foolish they just as problems as the rest industry.   

On 05/10/2021 at 18:22, Sulphy said:

HA! ... oh man, lookit, I am by nature a bit of a sarcastic person, and no malice or hurting of feelings are intended. I get ALL sorts of flak for being a msft / android fanboy... not a linux fan etc etc..... so, if my iSheep comment has offended anyone, i apologise....

If i have offended anyone.... i apologise  😆 😁

Mate, just banter :)

On 05/10/2021 at 11:00, Brandon H said:

T-Mobile is the preferred network for 5G in the states right now so you'll be fine there. As for the phone itself, it's all personal preference; and since you're already invested pretty heavily in Apple products you'll be just fine :)

How is TMobile out and about?  I only have some experience with TM locally.  It seems to work well.  I hear good things.  if you have any additional info on TM, I'd love to hear it.

PS.  I see you are in Omaha.  I used to go to the Lucent Plant there for 18 months.  I hear it has changed hands a few times since the late 1990s.  It was a good gig.  How are things in Omaha?  Doesn't sound like the locals are very happy with Scott Frost.  🙂 

On 05/10/2021 at 11:43, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

First of all, don't read Forbes for tech information LOL but what was your concern from this article?

I'm not uptodate on security nor I consider myself an expert.
However you are spot on you shouldn't trust Forbes...for *ANYTHING*

Forbes isn't near what it used to be decades ago. It's basically a blog based on personal opinions of the writter.

Let it be tech, politics, society, economy.  I'm not expert on the fields, but I like to talk and get to know people who open your mind about it. 

At least Forbes Mexico (dunno if it applies to all Forbes latinamerica). Write awful articles! When Trump won, there were many articles regarding Mexico internal politics or stances, which were hardly true. Also when Andres Manuel Obrador (our current president) took power, it was similar articles. I'm not a fan of the president however I acknowledge when it's full of baloney. 

Heck even videogames articles were dumb and had no sense 

....but anyways.....back on topic

I've been an android user for 9 years, not that I'm in love with it. However each time I get the idea of changing to iphone and look at the prices, I quietly turn around 😄