0x80072F76 Error While Trying to windows update

I tried to go to the update site after installing IE6 SP1 but it seems that MS needs to update my WinUpdate Software. I dont really know whats wrong. I tried to click on the update now but it gives me more error message such as:

The Windows Update software did not update successfully. Below are some suggestions to help you proceed:

You may have clicked No when prompted to accept the Trust Certificate. To allow the Windows Update site software to install, click Yes when presented with the Security Warning dialog box.

Your Internet Explorer security settings may be set too high. To install the updated software and access Windows Update, Internet Explorer security must be set to medium or lower, and active scripting and the download and initialization of ActiveX controls must be enabled.

Note These are the default settings for Internet Explorer. For more information about Internet Explorer security and instructions on how to change your security settings, read Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q174360.

dont really know wuts up. i have the new beta for zonealarm but i dont think that would cause Update to cease working. Any help is appreciated.

Microsoft appears to have stuffed up Windows Update (again).

Here's how to get it to work:

1. Go into IE and clear out the cache (in the "Options" window). Then exit IE.

2. Load Notepad.

3. Open the file "C:WINDOWSsystem32driversetchosts"

4. Add the following line to the end of the file:

207.46.226.17 windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Make sure there's a tab in-between else it won't work.

5. Save the file and exit Notepad.

Windows Update should now work.

The problem seems to be that "windowsupdate.microsoft.com" doesn't exist. The line that's added to the "hosts" file tells Windows that when it is asked to go to windowsupdate.microsoft.com, it should go to 207.46.226.17 instead. 207.46.226.17 is "www.windowsupdate.microsoft.com", which appears to work.

This works for me. YMMV, as they say :).

Dr Z.

Hmmm.. i still cant get it to work after i took ur advice [and i did tab in-between. it seems that it wont allow me to download the new software update program. any other tips i can try?