How do I configure windows explorer default folder view

I want all my folders within windows explorer to use the same view (list) is there a way to configure all the sub-folders to use the same view?

On 04/11/2021 at 14:17, adrynalyne said:

yeah, that does not do what I want, that only sets between the general items, photos, etc. What I am wanting is the folder view to be "list" and I have tried the steps outlined in that article and it does not accomplish what I an wanting.

Hello,

Try the following and see if it works.

1. Press WinKey+R to open the Run dialog.
  2. Type in C:\ and press Enter.  A File Explorer window will appear, open to C:\.
  3. On the right side title bar of the File Explorer window, click on the ▼ gadget to bring up the Customize Quick Access Toolbar menu, and de-select (unselect) the Minimize the Ribbon option.
  4. Now go to the main menu bar, and click on the View tab.
  5. In the Panes section, select Navigation Pane → Navigation Pane.  De-select (uncheck) Preview Pane or Details Pane if they are highlighted.
  6. In the Layout section, select Details
  7. In the Current View section, select Sort By  → Name, then select Sort By  → Ascending a second time, and then select Sort By  → Choose Columns… a third time.  The Choose Details window will appear.
  8. In the Choose Details window, leave all the items as they are, but scroll down the Details section until you see the Attributes option.  Check (select) it, and click on the OK button.
  9. In the Show/Hide section, de-select (uncheck)  Item check boxes and select (check) File name extensions and Hidden items.
  10. In the last section (it has no name), select Options Change folder and search options.  The Folder Options window will appear.
  11. In the Folder Options window, go to the General tab.
  12. Change the Open File Explorer to entry to This PC.
  13. Change the Browse Folders option to Open each folder in the same window.
  14. Change the Click items as follows option to Double-lcick to open an item (single-click to select).
  15. In the Privacy section de-select (uncheck) the two Show... options and click on the Clear button.
  16. Go to the View tab, now.
  17. Check (select), the following options:
    Always show icons, never thumbnails
    Always show menus
    Display file icon on thumbnails

Display file size information in folder tips
    Display the full path in the title bar
    Show hidden files, folders, or drives
    Hide empty drives
    Hide folder merge conflicts

Launch folder windows in a separate process
    Show drive letters
    Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color
    Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items
    Show preview handlers in preview pane
    Show status bar
    Use Sharing Wizard (Recommended)
    Select the typed item in the view

All other options should be de-selected (unchecked).
  18. Click on the Apply button at the bottom of the window.
  19. Click on the Apply to Folders button towards the top of the window.  If prompted to confirm the change to Folder Views, click on the Yes button.
  20. Click on the OK button at the bottom of the window.

That should make the change for the C:\ drive and all directories on it.  If you come across directories which have a different view (the Music directory, perhaps), just repeat these instructions for that directory in the File Explorer.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Thanks 1