Spam messages and Gmail

I know that SPAM is something that will never be completely gotten rid of, and I know that Gmail does a pretty good job of filtering out the spam messages. However, lately I have been getting a lot of obvious spam messages that make into my inbox, I say obvious like the most recent one was from //~Walmart, that is very clearly spam, and I am wondering how these messages are making it past the spam filters that Google has on the mail accounts. Is there something else I can do to prevent them?  I always go into the web based view of my gmail (I normally use Thunderbird) and mark the message as spam, but besides that, is there anything else that can be done to combat these messages?

No help here as I can't even remember the last time I had anything in my spam folder there. My issue with Gmail has been I keep getting mail going directly to my trash folder and those aren't spam messages.

On 11/11/2021 at 08:50, jnelsoninjax said:

recent one was from //~Walmart, that is very clearly spam

So your saying it said it was from walmart - when it really wasn't? More of phishing email asking for your login info?  Or some newsletter/info thing actually from walmart?  Just because you didn't actually want such emails.  Doesn't mean its going to be clearly marked as spam.  Now if it wasn't actually from walmart, and said it was - then yeah that should of been mark.

Do you happen to still have this email?  Can we view the actual headers?

On 11/11/2021 at 10:07, cork1958 said:

No help here as I can't even remember the last time I had anything in my spam folder there. My issue with Gmail has been I keep getting mail going directly to my trash folder and those aren't spam messages.

Yeah. I love the algorithms that they use but for god sakes... How do messages from people I email at least once a week - end up in SPAM.

This screwed my job as lawyer letter I needed to act on .... Was not even show to me and was moved to spam

It really did mess up my job fora while. How can I act if the message the lawyer sent me is not visible. Ffs

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 10:21, BudMan said:

So your saying it said it was from walmart - when it really wasn't? More of phishing email asking for your login info?  Or some newsletter/info thing actually from walmart?  Just because you didn't actually want such emails.  Doesn't mean its going to be clearly marked as spam.  Now if it wasn't actually from walmart, and said it was - then yeah that should of been mark.

I did not even open the message, but I could tell just from the subject and sender info that it was not from Walmart, and I do not have the message anymore, it must have been deleted.

Hello,

It could be that the spam is being sent from compromised accounts on mail servers that have historically had a good reputation, and/or the spam itself could be written or encoded in such a way that it is not currently detected by Gmail's anti-spam technology.

The best suggestion I have is to keep manually flagging the spam messages as spam, as well as check your spam folder to ensure

there are no false positives (legitimate messages flagged as spam) in there.  Google seems to rely on these reports to determine what is and is not spam, so doing this over time should help improve the quality of the spam filtering.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 11/11/2021 at 09:21, BudMan said:

Was going to say the same thing.

My most recent "spam" were actually emails that my email address was registered for these email propaganda. I made sure they weren't fake,i.e. phising. So on the real ones I UNsubscribed and my "spam" was reduced by large account. 

On 11/11/2021 at 10:03, jnelsoninjax said:

it must have been deleted.

Well if you deleted it - it would be in your trash.. You have to on purpose empty your trash..   Or delete it from the trash..

• 3 months later...

I've seen spam come through Gmail where the URL is using a whitelist domain as a redirect eg. linkedin.com. As goretsky mentioned, reporting the email as spam to Google is probably the easiest thing you can do.

More often than not, I find non-spam email in the spam folder so I'd recommend to occasionally check it as spam-flagged contents get automatically purged after 30 days.