Lower-end Gaming PC

Looks good to me.  The *only* thing ... is that enough storage?  Don't see anything wrong with the selected components.

Gamers Nexus just did some benchmarks on integrated graphics.  The AMD APUs were recommended in today's market.

On 18/11/2021 at 12:24, Jim K said:

is that enough storage?

Apologies, I have sufficient HDDs here to add to system without purchasing any more - so left them off.

On 18/11/2021 at 12:24, Jim K said:

The AMD APUs were recommended in today's market.

Yeah, while they don't support AAA titles - he won't be playing those.

Yeah, everything looks good. :)

Like you said, they don't do AAA games. So, that should be perfect :)  

This a Christmas present? :laugh:

Edit: I like that case. I was looking at it previously. Watched a lot of YT videos of buildings.

Hello,

Just as everyone said, this looks like a solid build, and a wonderful holiday gift for your nephew. 

The only thought I have is that going with a small form factor PC with a Mini-ITX case and SFX power supply may limit future expansion opportunities, especially if there are plans to add a graphics card in the future. 

Moving up to a mATX case that uses a standard-sized ATX power supply may be less expensive, and offer a better upgrade path.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

On 18/11/2021 at 17:23, goretsky said:

Hello,

Just as everyone said, this looks like a solid build, and a wonderful holiday gift for your nephew. 

The only thought I have is that going with a small form factor PC with a Mini-ITX case and SFX power supply may limit future expansion opportunities, especially if there are plans to add a graphics card in the future. 

Moving up to a mATX case that uses a standard-sized ATX power supply may be less expensive, and offer a better upgrade path.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Yeah, but that case only takes Mini-ITX boards and SFX power supplies, so he doesn't really have a choice. So he'd have to get a different case, PSU and motherboard.

• Like 1

On 18/11/2021 at 17:23, goretsky said:

Hello,

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

This case has surprisingly good GPU support....

• Like 1

On 18/11/2021 at 18:26, Jim K said:

This case has surprisingly good GPU support....

I think he was more worried about the wattage of the SFX-PSU. How I took it at least.

On 18/11/2021 at 18:53, Mindovermaster said:

I think he was more worried about the wattage of the SFX-PSU. How I took it at least.

I was referring to his comments about the case.

His total system build is pretty low wattage ... I'd bet he could get away with a 3080 even with the 600W PSU.

Not that it matters anyway ... might be time to replace the whole system by time GPUs become readily available.  

On 18/11/2021 at 19:22, Max said:

You're gonna need to add some RAM to that!

Weird, he did have some memory when I initially looked at the build (2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance I think).

On 18/11/2021 at 19:32, Jim K said:

Not that it matters anyway ... might be time to replace the whole system by time GPUs become readily available.  

Ain't that the dam truth..

On 18/11/2021 at 19:22, Max said:

You're gonna need to add some RAM to that!

He might have some spare RAM, as he said with his spare HDDs also.

On 18/11/2021 at 18:39, Mindovermaster said:

Yeah, but that case only takes Mini-ITX boards and SFX power supplies, so he doesn't really have a choice. So he'd have to get a different case, PSU and motherboard.

the case supports ATX psu too, but will need to buy a bracket or  print one.

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/accessories/atx-psu-bracket-nr200/

On 19/11/2021 at 05:39, Dick Montage said:

It does, but it's then prohibitive to other things.

Yeah.. Sort of what I meant. I mean, it is possible, but the case wasn't made for ATX PSUs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the input on this build.  I thought I'd provide a little feedback should anyone be interested:

1. What a damned fine case!  So easy to build inside (which is rare for smaller form-factor builds).  Cable routing was easy, there was PLENTY of space for additional issues (eg: the number of fans meant I needed a few splitters - which although small do take space - no issues).  The build quality is sturdy as hell.  Cannot recommend this case strongly enough.
  2. Once the mobo had received it's firmware updates, it's a very capable motherboard.  Not bad for the price.
  3. So many ways to mount hard drives!  Alongside the onboard M.2, I could easily have added at least four SSD hard drives without issue.  SO MUCH SPACE!  In fairness, when I build for myself I'm going to look towards a gigabyte Mobo that takes 2 SSDs though.
  4. I swapped out the Scythe 2 for a low-profile Noctua (all in the link) and am glad I did.  Lovely cooler.
  5. On the subject of cooling, maybe I went overboard but I swapped all fans for:
    2 x Noctua A12x15 PWM 55.44 CFM 120 mm Fan on the bottom blowing upwards
    2 x Noctua A12x15 PWM 55.44 CFM 120 mm Fan on the top blowing out
    1 x Noctua A12x15 PWM 55.44 CFM 120 mm Fan underneath the cooler blowing towards the motherboard
    1 x Noctua A14x25 PWM 60.1 CFM 140 mm Fan on the side cage blowing toward the cooler

Sure, it's a lot but it works so freaking well - it's a stable 32 degrees when idle - and SILENT.  Even when they ramp up for gaming, it's a nice fan noise, not a whine.
  6. AMD 5600G integrated GPU - I was unimpressed at first.  And then I forgot I'd not installed the drivers.  WOW.  Downloaded Halo Infinite (because it was free) and was expecting nothing, and yet - utterly playable.  I've since watched people play Cyberpunk 20(then two numbers I always get wrong) and it actually is playable - sure, not going to "impress" anyone but, yeah I'd play it.

So off the back of this - I plan to build one for myself, and while yes I will be waiting for a GPU to be a reasonable price, I am fully confident I could use it well.  I'll also be modding the case - the front panel affords a LOT of room behind it, into which I'll mod a small screen for fan temps and other nerdy BS.

• Like 3

you can't go wrong with Noctuas so I can't blame you for those swaps (Y) lol

and oh yeah the 5600G is no slouch, it'll handle a lot from what I hear. Especially right now with it being hard to get a hold of a dedicated GPU the 5600G is a win/win for builders.

• Thanks 1

On 18/11/2021 at 17:41, Dick Montage said:

Hi

I'm looking at a lower-end (MineCraft, Roblox, etc) gaming PC for my Nephew

Graphics cards being an utter ###### storm at the moment.  What's the feeling on this until he can add a card later?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/NikLouch/saved/#view=TDD6D3

Thank you all

As others have said, the build looks solid for a mini-ITX system. Though I'm wondering, isn't that 600W PSU completely overkill for such a system?

how about this instead? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sharkoon-SilentStorm-Bronze-power-supply/dp/B00W4IVZQY/

Didn't realize it's already done. Glad you're happy with it. Cheers! :)

Edited by hellowalkman
didn't see that the build has been built :P
  • Like 1

I have the AMD Ryzen™ 9 5900HX in my new build. Mobile CPU chip, yes, but the most powerful one available.. Just about to set it up. :)

On 29/11/2021 at 09:48, hellowalkman said:

As others have said, the build looks solid for a mini-ITX system. Though I'm wondering, isn't that 600W PSU completely overkill for such a system?

how about this instead? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sharkoon-SilentStorm-Bronze-power-supply/dp/B00W4IVZQY/

If he later wants to add a GPU, after this spike, he is able to. ;)

Edited by Mindovermaster
  • Like 1

Scattervolt just did a budget card video.  I haven't looked recently at the 5600G, but:  (might be something to look at until prices drop and then you can resell, as well)

• Like 1

On 29/11/2021 at 16:06, farmeunit said:

Scattervolt just did a budget card video.  I haven't looked recently at the 5600G, but:  (might be something to look at until prices drop and then you can resell, as well)

I had low expectations going in (last time I used onboard graphics was last decade)… but sweet lord, not only was I impressed, I was gobsmacked. I’ll try and get some FPS rates when he has it all set up.

• Like 1

On 29/11/2021 at 11:11, Dick Montage said:

I had low expectations going in (last time I used onboard graphics was last decade)… but sweet lord, not only was I impressed, I was gobsmacked. I’ll try and get some FPS rates when he has it all set up.

oh yeah the Vega graphics in this gen Ryzen APU is a game changer, Intel's new Xe integrated graphics are right up there in potential too, the drivers just still need some work for them though which is why AMD still wins out on the integrated graphics space for now.

• Like 1

On 29/11/2021 at 17:15, Brandon H said:

oh yeah the Vega graphics in this gen Ryzen APU is a game changer, Intel's new Xe integrated graphics are right up there in potential too, the drivers just still need some work for them though which is why AMD still wins out on the integrated graphics space for now.

I wasn’t aware Intel were doing similar. I have always been an Intel guy, this is my first AMD build.

On 29/11/2021 at 11:31, Dick Montage said:

I wasn’t aware Intel were doing similar. I have always been an Intel guy, this is my first AMD build.

Well, Intel has been working on the GPU line, too. But I haven't seen anything from them yet. Only speculation.

• Like 1