Considering buying 2.5 Gbps USB dongles for home PCs - would 1 Gbps router need changing?

I want to improve transfer speeds between my two PCs. 100 MB/s isn't really enough.

Our ISP is BT Broadband and we use their BT Smart Hub (sometimes called the Home Hub 6), which was released in 2016.

I am considering buying 2x Plugable 2.5G USB-C and USB to Ethernet Adapter for the two PCs in the house (totals £64), which are both currently connected via CAT5e cable to the above wireless router.

Presumably, the router will limit the speed to 1 Gbps.

What options do I have?

Is a wireless router replacement the only possibility to get this working?

I ideally don't want to spend over £100 total, as the upgrade from 1 Gbps to 2.5 Gbps would then not be worth it for me.

I also can not run any more cabling.

Edited by Elliot B.

You are getting 100MBps, yet you have 1GBps ethernet ports? sound like your router/gateway is limiting those systems.

I'd personally get a new router/gateway. ~5 year old router isn't really a good thing..

The router will limit you to 1Gbps. You could keep the existing BT router and buy a 2.5Gbps switch, however that would take you well over budget.

From a quick look on Amazon the cheapest unmanaged 2.5Gbps switch looks to be approx. £100.

If you did that your setup would be: Router > 2.5Gbps Switch > PC1 & PC2.

On 19/11/2021 at 10:26, Elliot B. said:

I want to improve transfer speeds between my two PCs. 100 MB/s isn't really enough.

Well you could setup a network just between the 2 pcs with 2x2.5ge dongles - doing the same thing between my pc and NAS.

This network is just between the pc and nas, on different network, not gateways setup and just static..

Here is test via the 2.5ge usb dongle connection to nas, and then test via normal gig to nas.

tests.jpg.acc8be5fa1dfcf295a5a1ae266816df6.jpg