For the last 2 months, Xfinity has claimed that we have exceeded our allotted amount of data, but I disagree with that.

On 23/11/2021 at 10:32, jnelsoninjax said:

As far as disabling IPV6,how do I go about doing that?

I would look to your router for starters and turn it off for everything your network - but windows machine.. Unclicking IPv6 in your interface would be a start

disable.jpg.e7659e1b660a2fb5af30ff7825155eab.jpg

So any windows machine you could do that - you can also disable via reg key..  From elevated cmd prompt

reg add hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip6\parameters /v DisabledComponents /t REG_DWORD /d 255

putting it back to default would be as simple as

reg delete hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip6\parameters\ /v DisabledComponents /f

On 23/11/2021 at 11:32, jnelsoninjax said:

I have previously stated that I checked that setting and it is set for local network only. As far as disabling IPV6,how do I go about doing that?

Roger that.

Go to old school Control Panel (search) and open Network and Sharing Center.   From left open "Change adapter settings".  Right-click your NIC/Wireless adapter and choose Properties.  Find Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and uncheck the box.  Click OK.

IPv6 is now disabled.

On 23/11/2021 at 11:35, BudMan said:

That is just tiny tip of the iceberg to be honest..  Unless you are into IT, lab setup, like to keep up with all things in IT, etc. At this point in time I see zero use for IPv6 in a home network.. Now if your behind a cgnat and only way to allow inbound traffic to something you want to serve to the public internet, etc. Ok sure - it can very very useful that way.. And don't get me wrong it is for sure the future.. And it would be in everyone's best interest to speed that up, etc.

Problem is, there is a pretty drastic learning curve going to IPv6 from a management, security point of view.. Name resolution part of that, firewalls another part..  As example IPv6 clients love to use temp IPv6 so they can create outbound connections using all kinds of different addresses.  So at your edge firewall trying limit say some IPv6 enabled iot device from phoning home can be challenging from multiple points of view.  Depending on your skill set and the hardware your working with.  Not only can their tmp addresses change - their actual IPv6 prefix can change sometimes when the wind blows at your isp, etc.

A few users turning it off is in no way going to slow down the transition to it.   So if your not up to speed in its use, and are wanting to actually manage your network, etc. Then yeah prob best to just turn it off completely.  Now then again typical home user that just plugs ###### in and wants to surf the web - they prob have no idea what an IPv4 is anyway - so if their stuff is working, no reason to turn it off, etc.  If they are just flat network discovery for their file sharing prob not going to have issues etc.   But in a scenario like this, without full understanding of what IPv6 address is what - and trying to track down bandwidth hog, etc.  Turning IPv6 just off would be good course of action.

Ha!  You beat me to it (disable IPv6).

And yes, disabling elsewhere is good.  I agree, IPv6 is completely unnecessary.  I haven't had to change my local network settings, but in my "Enterprise" labs where I've nested Hyper-V and VMware ESXi it's almost a requirement to disable it.  Even in the corporate environments I'm in because it causes so many issues.  Only time I've ever been forced to use it is when using MS VPN/Direct Connect because it's required and IPv6 only.

Lets not forget the vast amount of added noise it can cause.. On some of the vlans in the DC where they didn't disable it - creates a bunch of just noise on the vlan..   When you have 100s of servers on a vlan - without really using IPv6 and just on out of the box - it can generate quite of bit of just nonsense on the wire..

If you ask me the default should be off, and the user should have to turn it on if they want to use it.

On 23/11/2021 at 11:57, BudMan said:

Lets not forget the vast amount of added noise it can cause.. On some of the vlans in the DC where they didn't disable it - creates a bunch of just noise on the vlan..   When you have 100s of servers on a vlan - without really using IPv6 and just on out of the box - it can generate quite of bit of just nonsense on the wire..

If you ask me the default should be off, and the user should have to turn it on if they want to use it.

Yup, same experience here.  Completely agree.

On 23/11/2021 at 11:17, zim2323 said:

Yup, same experience here.  Completely agree.

If you disagree with this guy, you get your face slapped. :)

I approve this message.

:laugh:🤣

• Haha 1

btw... I intalled/purchased Glasswire this morning and after a couple hours of running I see NT Kernel & System usage.  Not sure if this was done, but If you click the Hosts () TAB at the top of the little window when you click on "app" it will show you all the connecting host IP's and names.  Every single one of mine is a known local device on my network, nothing remote/external.  Guessing you'll at least be able to isolate the external usage once IPv6 is disabled by looking here.

Sorry if this is duplicate info.

image.png.10f57d663fa2e62c6dcf4333bf5ec8e6.png

On 23/11/2021 at 12:52, zim2323 said:

purchased Glasswire

Installed sure - but not sure would of purchased it ;)  it doesn't seem like an overall bad product..  But I am clearly seeing an issue with not supporting more than 1 interface on the pc.. Maybe the purchased version has that ability?

On 23/11/2021 at 14:39, BudMan said:

Installed sure - but not sure would of purchased it ;)  it doesn't seem like an overall bad product..  But I am clearly seeing an issue with not supporting more than 1 interface on the pc.. Maybe the purchased version has that ability?

I mainly purchased because Netwrix ###### me off, and DU Meter is constantly crashing on me and hasn't had an update in several years.  I got a discount on the basic and since so many people I know and support are starting to use it, figure I might as well at least get to know it.

I'm not seeing anything other than the "Things" section where I can choose from my available NIC's, but nothing on the Usage section that allows filtering of interface.  Not something I thought about at the time.  I'll look into seeing if I can filter the info in any reporting.

On 23/11/2021 at 14:39, BudMan said:

Looks like there is some filtering that can be done...

image.png.9e8b9e008877868ed6e2adc9ef191283.png

So with IPV6 disabled, Glasswire now reports that Backblaze is the culprit, and upon checking in backblaze I discovered that it is backing up my appdata folder, so it is going to back up the cache from Firefox, not to mention all the other temp files associated with the OS. I have corrected this now.

On 23/11/2021 at 16:48, jnelsoninjax said:

Backblaze is the culprit

I haven't used backblaze in a while - had issues with it backing up large files (them never completing).. And stopped using it.

But I was not aware you can only backup locally with that, so was it backing up to the cloud as well?  With 315GB of data in a backup that could for sure suck up your quota very quickly for sure..

On 23/11/2021 at 22:44, BudMan said:

I haven't used backblaze in a while - had issues with it backing up large files (them never completing).. And stopped using it.

But I was not aware you can only backup locally with that, so was it backing up to the cloud as well?  With 315GB of data in a backup that could for sure suck up your quota very quickly for sure..

Yes, it is backing up to a cloud server, so that very well could've been the issue.

BTW - if running glasswire, just notice it produced a hit to my overall network performance.. There was just a thread where I wanted to do a iperf test.  And took about a 100mbps hit to my gig speed..  I had to uninstall glasswire to get my performance back to normal.  Not just stop it.

It is understandable since they would hook into the interface to get the info its gathering..

Just a heads up if you notice a speed drop in your file transfers, etc.

• Thanks 1

@BudManI bought the D-Link smart switch and will migrate all the computers over tomorrow (last day of the month) but I was looking into the D-View software, and it appears to only be for Windows Server, or will it work in a regular windows install?

Dude no offense - but RTFM ;) hehehe

Server has built in local probe, probe would be run on other networks that the local probe does not have access to, etc.

Your going to need to read the manual - if your not familiar with this sort of software there is a bit of a learning curve.