Would a separate router be advisable for smart lights, etc?

I am just wondering if getting a cheap WiFi router just to handle the smart lights would be a good idea, there is no need for them to be connected to the internet, and it would reduce the load on the current router. Am I correct in my assumption that they don't need access to the internet? Also, would I be able to put the Google home and Echo devices on the same network, as they don't need access to the internet do they?

On 26/11/2021 at 10:48, Mindovermaster said:

Can't you do that same thing with a managed switch?

I have no idea, can a managed switch do that?

On 26/11/2021 at 09:19, jnelsoninjax said:

Google home and Echo devices on the same network, as they don't need access to the internet do they?

Where would have gotten the idea that these devices do not need internet access? google home and echos can not do anything if they do not have access to the internet.  And pretty much every single lightbulb I have seen is controlled by talking to the internet and your control devices talking to the service out to the internet as well.

While it is possible to setup some to control locally - that is not how any of the ones I have work.  And ones that wouldn't need to do that would need some home tinkering.

You could isolate networks with a smart switch that does vlans and router that understands vlans as well. And sure you can even route with L3 switch - but rarely any sort of firewall features, etc.

Bud Man is correct ...

PARTIALLY  

Im speaking in regard to MY EXPERINCE ONLY... in regard to Google Home Devices (Which I have.. I DONT have Echo devices at all)  and the lights I have specifically  … I'm NOT  knocking  Bud Man at all .. 

As far as, Echo (again which I DONT  have BUT have helped set a couple of them up )  or Google home device.....  YES  he is correct  .. they DO  need internet access... I personally have  Google home  Devices..   ..

IF you want them to have access  to your ONLINE  playlists or on demand  videos  or music  from the like of services of You Tube Or Spotify ..  or other internet  based media services .. then YES you WOULD ... MIGHT  almost definitely....  need them to have internet access. 

As well as … POSSIBLY  for  initial set up.

As far as Lights … that 100% depends on  ...

1) The Lights you have ,,, and 

2)  IF you want to you  CAN control them  when you are not at home or keep it when our at not at home .. that will depend  on the Lights  you have and what apps  that are available  for your lights .. but  is NOT a 100% requirement 

I have Hue based  lights  as well as other lights (non HUE ) and  mine  are controllable either  via remote (web based)  control or  TOTALLY local. Depending on app requirements /preferences.

Same aspect in regard  to INITAL set up … my hue lights are connected to a Hue Bridge .. and I have  3 Regular lights … and one led strip light .. so that's MY experience …

Again just speaking from MY personal experiences with  Google Home devices  and Lights.  NOT knocking Budman at all .. he knows his stuff 100% .. and will refer to MUCH of his advice regarding networking when I need it  and has helped me out on MANY occasions .

On 26/11/2021 at 21:02, LoneWolfMage said:

my hue lights are connected to a Hue Bridge

You have a bridge... Not all lights require this, mine don't - and like I said if they do not have internet then you can not control them.  You might be able to do some tinkering with home automation stuff and send them the commands to go on and off, etc..

But out of the box.. Your most likely going to need internet.. And smart  google and echo devices need internet to even process your voice commands.   Not saying it might not be able to do some stuff - but its going to be a very crippled device.. That is for sure...

here just did a sniff of me turning my office lights on and off via my alexa.. Here is sniff of the lightbulb IP 192.168.4.61, you can see the conversation of traffic from the internet

onoff.jpg.3b1f26cabda1dc586c3fc33272f65463.jpg

smart bulbs that "require" a hub like hue, etc. can still function without internet - because are controlled by the hub, and if your phone is on the same wifi it can talk to the hub, etc.  But I doubt your going to be able to use voice commands to control them via your google or echo device.

and here I was thinking you wanted to put them on their own segmented network for protection, not load reduction.  How much bandwidth do you think these smart devices burn? .

On 26/11/2021 at 22:49, BudMan said:

You have a bridge... Not all lights require this, mine don't - and like I said if they do not have internet then you can not control them.  You might be able to do some tinkering with home automation stuff and send them the commands to go on and off, etc..

But out of the box.. Your most likely going to need internet.. And smart  google and echo devices need internet to even process your voice commands.   Not saying it might not be able to do some stuff - but its going to be a very crippled device.. That is for sure...

here just did a sniff of me turning my office lights on and off via my alexa.. Here is sniff of the lightbulb IP 192.168.4.61, you can see the conversation of traffic from the internet

smart bulbs that "require" a hub like hue, etc. can still function without internet - because are controlled by the hub, and if your phone is on the same wifi it can talk to the hub, etc.  But I doubt your going to be able to use voice commands to control them via your google or echo device.

BudMan.. 

You ARE correct here with regard to Requiring a bridg... however...   that bridge CAN   be used  without it being connected to the internet as well .. as far as I have been able to tell ..as long as on the same wifi ..  what I HAVE found out as well .. is that MOST ( including HUE ..  are ONLY   2.4ghz network compatable with or without a bridge)   BUT  once they are connected  you can have your phone  or whatever device on 2.4 OR 5 ghz network  in the house  and they CAN work that way . 

YES you are also correct  in that Internet  to "activate'   HUE lights   ..is SOMEWHAT  required ...  

There ARE some lights  that DONT have to have internet connect  to activate or be able to be controlled  and can go JUST thru network .. 

As far as Google home or Alexa Devices .. you ARE corrcet  they WOULD be  quite 'crippled'  without having internet acess.  

On 26/11/2021 at 23:17, LoneWolfMage said:

what I HAVE found out as well .. is that MOST ( including HUE ..  are ONLY   2.4ghz network compatable with or without a bridge

Completely agree.. Like I said.  But I doubt you could control that hub with an alexa or google hub without the alexa or hub having internet access.

Any yes all lights I have come across are only 2.4ghz..

>There ARE some lights  that DONT have to have internet connect

I didn't say there weren't - I have some that I control via a hub as well from lutron that I can control via switch on the wall, etc.  And prob could control them with the app if on the same wifi network without internet.. But most of the smart bubs and for sure amazon and google hubs require internet to do anything but the most basic functions.. Like if you set an alarm, the alarm would prob still work, etc. But alexa is pretty freaking dumb device if it doesn't have internet.

The idea to just run some isolated wifi network with an alexa or google and some smartbulbs without any internet is not a good idea to be honest, and pretty pointless - since none of these devices when operating normally use much "internet" bandwidth that is for sure.. Isolating them from the rest of your network for security reasons - sure, I do that myself.. But they are not bandwidth hogs by any means.  So trying to isolate them from internet for that reason would be pretty pointless and make them way way harder to function