Alder Lake DRM fix

Hi, I am building an alder lake gaming PC and wanted to know which motherboard manufacturers have already rolled out the fix for the DRM issue happening with some games?

Additionally, which of the following mobos is a better choice for a 12900k and 64GB of 3600MHz CL18 RAM?

GIGABYTE Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 or ASUS TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4

• Like 1

AFAI understand, it's the game developers and Denuvo (mainly) who will be working to resolve the problem fully. Motherboard vendors aren't part of this, I mean not directly. Hence, it's likely that no motherboard firmware update can fix the issue from its roots.

However, Gigabyte has released a workaround software for this: Gigabyte DRM fix tool. this will allow you to toggle the E-cores on/off

Intel too has provided a workaround: https://www.neowin.net/news/drm-breaks-games-on-windows-10-and-11-alder-lake-pcs-but-theres-a-workaround-available-now/  and MSI has confirmed that this workaround BIOS option will be added with firmware updates. (via PCMag)

Regarding Legacy Game Mode, this should be included in a future BIOS update...we have 0705 coming up and a couple of others scheduled for release. [We will] check with our HQ to see if this feature will be included in 0705.

It's likely that most of the other vendors will also do this.

On 30/11/2021 at 10:41, hellowalkman said:

AFAI understand, it's the game developers and Denuvo (mainly) who will be working to resolve the problem fully. Motherboard vendors aren't part of this, I mean not directly. Hence, it's likely that no motherboard firmware update can fix the issue from its roots.

However, Gigabyte has released a workaround software for this: Gigabyte DRM fix tool. this will allow you to toggle the E-cores on/off

Intel too has provided a workaround: https://www.neowin.net/news/drm-breaks-games-on-windows-10-and-11-alder-lake-pcs-but-theres-a-workaround-available-now/  and MSI has confirmed that this workaround BIOS option will be added with firmware updates. (via PCMag)

It's likely that most of the other vendors will also do this.

1) Motherboard vendors are a part of this, they are the one who create the BIOS through which the workaround can be used to deal with the DRM issue. Not all motherboards have the "legacy game compatibility mode". For example, Asus promised to implement it in the future, but I am buying a custom-built PC and messing with the BIOS voids the warranty. Meaning that I need to know which motherboards have this mode already.

2) A work around is still a fix. Your second paragraph contradicts your first and both dont help me at all. And this "It's likely that most of the other vendors will also do this." is of absolutely no help as I CLEARLY asked about the vendors who have ALREADY done this.

On 30/11/2021 at 15:02, GameDosInfinite said:

1) Motherboard vendors are a part of this, they are the one who create the BIOS through which the workaround can be used to deal with the DRM issue. Not all motherboards have the "legacy game compatibility mode". For example, Asus promised to implement it in the future, but I am buying a custom-built PC and messing with the BIOS voids the warranty. Meaning that I need to know which motherboards have this mode already.

2) A work around is still a fix. Your second paragraph contradicts your first and both dont help me at all. And this "It's likely that most of the other vendors will also do this." is of absolutely no help as I CLEARLY asked about the vendors who have ALREADY done this.

Looks like only three games are now affected (though the "Scroll Lock" can be used as a solution).

The games listed below are impacted by the DRM issue on the 12th Gen Intel® Core™ Processors causing games to crash or not load in Windows® 11* and/or Windows 10. If the game you are looking for is not on the list, please run the latest version of Windows Update to resolve the issue, as the most recent updates for Windows 11 and Windows 10 has resolved a majority of the DRM issues.

In the meantime, the Scroll Lock workaround can be used for these games.

The list will be updated as patches are released.

Name of games affected in Windows 11* and Windows® 10

• Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla*
  • Fernbus Simulator*
  • Madden 22*

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000088261/processors/intel-core-processors.html