Damn you and your emails Quora!

So today I learned that I can't sign in on Quora using Chrome, because I stupidly linked my Google account many moons ago to answer a question I came across during a search (big mistake) ever since then I have been spammed to hell with Quora emails coming in from multiple different email address, unsubscribe simply does not work because the page fails to load properly, so I had been setting them as spam in Gmail via Chrome each time I got a new email from them.

Well today I discovered I can login fine if I use Firefox, then I was able to go to settings and toggle off loads of alerts and email subscriptions that I was automatically enrolled in. What a s**t site that is! Damn.

Well I hope this helps someone. I purposely did not deactivate my account yet because I want to be sure they do not send me any more "digests" emails.

Yeah at one point I was getting a ton of those quora emails. I think spamming them worked but I will check again with another browser to see what's up.

I get Soo much spam in my email - Gmail primary - that I am tired to even more to promotion tab - which already gets close to 30 emails a day.

Even in my primary inbox - ratio of real emails I care about and promotions is 1 to 5.

I tried unsubscribe way but maybe nothing changed and the second I unsubscribe from one they confirm my email and subscribe me to other similar lists?

Should have just spammed it instead of going the unsubscribe route.... As it only gets worse the more I try to unsubscribe from stuff the more junk I get 

• Like 2

On 01/12/2021 at 16:53, E.Worm Jimmy said:

Should have just spammed it instead of going the unsubscribe route.... As it only gets worse the more I try to unsubscribe from stuff the more junk I get 

Yeah I have a feeling that some companies just sell confirmed email address to 3rd parties, you basically confirm when you take the time to actually unsubscribe.

Now, when I know for sure I did not sign up to some junk email list I just set as spam, rather than verify my email address with whoever did not ask me in the first place!

Side note: I did actually sign up with Quora just to contribute to a question, but I did not asked to be added to 15 or more email alerts and daily digests!

• Like 2

On 01/12/2021 at 11:39, Steven P. said:

Side note: I did actually sign up with Quora just to contribute to a question, but I did not asked to be added to 15 or more email alerts and daily digests!

Same here. I literally avoid anything Quora because of that experience. 

Default sign up for so much email pollution that I did not want. Not cool.

Not sure of this marketing works well for them over people who get less junk? Or teenagers who might read it?

Either way Quora is not a site for me. Ever

• Like 2

Also - I was a fool to think things change and you can honestly unsubscribe.

When money is involved and no proof of bad doings... Or course they sell my email - they know I cannot do anything about it.

Damn... I knew to never ever hit unsubscribe button before but over the years my attitude softened and I thought maybe the list I genuinely subscribed to will be nice to remove my email without selling it...

Well, the evidence points to it not changing at all.

On 01/12/2021 at 17:52, E.Worm Jimmy said:

Also - I was a fool to think things change and you can honestly unsubscribe.

When money is involved and no proof of bad doings... Or course they sell my email - they know I cannot do anything about it.

Damn... I knew to never ever hit unsubscribe button before but over the years my attitude softened and I thought maybe the list I genuinely subscribed to will be nice to remove my email without selling it...

Well, the evidence points to it not changing at all.

Yeah I am not saying it absolutely happens all the time, but I have more experience with unsubscribing, and then still seeing emails from that same company appear a week or two later, or I will suddenly get emails from some other company I never signed up to. Seriously email pollution is the worst, politicians should stop effing around with trying to block memes and make email subscriptions opt in with email + code verification. You have to confirm your email to register an account with all these spam farm companies, why not force a law to verify email subscriptions too?

Well f*CK.

I just received a quora digest about therapy right in my primary inbox.

Not cool Quora... Not cool.

Who is reading and listening? I have not got Quora for a while now.

And BAM!

• 2 weeks later...

Those Quora emails are stupid. What makes companies think if you spam the **** out of their inbox it will improve the user experience and they will love you more? Probably the same people who think having a video appear that autoplays over the top of what you are trying to read will also improve the user experience.