Western Digital 4TB Strange Noises occuring

Some Strange noise occuring when using it, example ran Western digital Short Smart Test eariler, it passed, but sorta like a grinding type noise.    Should i be worried?   should i get image backup done asap on this drive prior to running Extended test,  Crystaldisk info says All is OK though

Drive is used for mainly storage with a few small programs

Games are stored on 1TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD

M.2 is Strictly Boot of Windows 11

Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB

storage drive 4TB WD Black 

Edited by bikeman25

Any clicking is bad. No matter what software detects.

Can you explain this "strange noise"? Is it a churning noise? Or is it just the drive starting up from sleep?

Also model number of that WD drive, please?

Model number is  WDC WD4005FZBX-00K5WB0 

Its like a Grinding type noise, like a churning noise i think yeah,  (i'd record it if i could, really heard when i started up the Short Drive Test for a good 1 minute to 2 minutes or so, then seemed to back to sounding as normal does))  gonna run the extended test soon as i finish the backup, and go from there i suppose

pretty quiet at the moment since not doing too much with it right now

I can try to get a clip of it later with my cell phone when i start the extended test and see from there i guess

Edited by bikeman25

It's normal...probably just quick head swipes.  The "grinding" last for about 10-15 seconds, probably happens twice during the early stages of the Short Diagnostic...right?  Just ran it on my 8TB Black.

Maybe it is normal then,  as didn't last for long, then again i don't run this test too much, just noticed it making a bit more noise lately, so decided to

Do tend to panic, and go a bit overboard checking stuff out at times

It's always had a little chunk every 5 seconds,  Western Digital support explained at the time it's Preventive Wear Leveling,   bit noiser than my old WD Black 1TB Drive was,  but after using it so many months i should be totally used to all the noises lol

Edited by bikeman25