Motherboard repair

Hi everyone,

I purchased the LG V30 H930 phone about 8 months ago. However, it currently has a motherboard problem. So, if any solder joints on this mobile's sophisticated (small) motherboard become separated, is it possible to repair it myself? I'd like you to please specify the best approach or tools for soldering.

I dunno.  Have you ever soldered?  I'm just going out on a limb here and say...if you have to ask that kind of question...the answer is no.

Only 8 months old so it's still under warranty if you get 12 months, so send it in for repair or replacement, there is no point faffing around when you don't know what you're doing.

On 02/01/2022 at 10:05, SnoopZ said:

Only 8 months old so it's still under warranty if you get 12 months

That phone came out in 2017, from that I would assume he bought it refurbed or 2nd hand - unlikely it came with a 12 month warranty ;)

On 02/01/2022 at 09:13, AmeliaJames said:

specify the best approach or tools for soldering.

While you might be able to solder a power lead or something.  If you are not well versed in micro soldering - I have a hard time thinking you could do anything more than damage it more to be honest.  If you need it repaired - take it to a repair place and see what they would charge you.  If too much then get a new phone.. 5 years in phone tech is worse than dog years or computer years ;)  Its likely more cost effective to put any money you would spend on getting the tools and attempting the repair or even paying a place to repair it in just getting a newer phone.

Back in the day I was 2M/MTR certified in the navy, and actually did quite a bit of solder work on really small stuff - and I wouldn't even attempt such a repair unless it was something very minor, I mean really simple like resolder the power connector ;)

• Thanks 1

On 02/01/2022 at 16:21, Jim K said:

I dunno.  Have you ever soldered?  I'm just going out on a limb here and say...if you have to ask that kind of question...the answer is no.

No, I've not soldered before.

On 03/01/2022 at 08:19, AmeliaJames said:

No, I've not soldered before.

New phone then if yours is faulty, don't waste money getting it repaired unless you know the cost up front and it's reasonable.

LG stopped making phones in April 2021 so look for a different brand.

• Like 1