have multiple accounts or just a personal account on websites and apps? fake or personal?

Is it worth creating "fake" profiles or creating a personal account on the sites? For example 1, usually on social networks they use the personal account, but on forums they use fake profiles. Is it worth having multiple accounts on facebook? But there are sites and apps that only let you make one account, like in forums.

For example 2, it's better on sites that only accept creating an account like vk, telegram, face, etc. have a personal account, and on forums fake profile accounts? there are many websites, if you want to interact, you will have to create a fake, because you don't want to show yourself, like a post on youtube, you don't want to appear.

obs. I have several fake accounts on google, youtube, but on other platforms they limit you to only having one account, and by smartphone number it limits you to having only one account, because no one will have two smartphones or more, just to have more accounts in the apps and websites.

It might make sense to have a business and personal account on places like Google (i have this myself too), but why on a forum? IMO if you need multiple accounts on Neowin, it's because you aren't being completely honest with the community, like how a long term member might create an account to victimize another member, evade a ban or troll posts. Would these accounts interact with one another too, further amplifying the dishonesty, to bump posts or support your argument, for example?

I also think the whole GDPR thing allows people to be complete trolls without consequence, because they can legally have their data deleted.. in that sense there are absolutely zero consequences to bad behavior on places like Neowin or any other site that relies on user contributed content.

GDPR was already covered in the right to be forgotten in places like search engines, this retained the users' own contributions to places like Neowin. The right to be forgotten was a law that allowed people to remove content that wasn't added by them (in search engines which by extension could be used by a 3rd party to build a profile on you).

I'm just talking in the sense of privacy and not doing something bad to others. because I have two facebook accounts, one personal and one fake. That way, you can share the topics you're going to deal with better. on the forum it's better to use only one account, preferably a fake profile so they don't bother you on facebook.

On 30/01/2022 at 15:05, kifirefox said:

I'm just talking in the sense of privacy and not doing something bad to others. because I have two facebook accounts, one personal and one fake. That way, you can share the topics you're going to deal with better. on the forum it's better to use only one account, preferably a fake profile so they don't bother you on facebook.

I know people that have multiple profiles on Facebook, but also profiles that don't use their real name. The ones with multiple profiles are mostly because they got temporary bans of 30 days or more.

In my opinion, managing just one Facebook profile is mostly a giant headache, let alone two or more!

• 1 year later...

I have created a fake account for the purpose to annoy myself when I am bored. Once a week Mr.Pig comes out and gives me a  low down on what i should be doing for the next week and sometimes we may have a blastering argument over teams.  :p Mentally its great. LOL but so sad at the same time. :p Hey it would be worse if teddy started talking to me!

For Facebook I have two accounts, one that is designated for family members, who I just ignore , and one or friends for university only (and outside university).  I barely sign into the facebook family designated though.

• 10 months later...
On 30/01/2022 at 05:20, kifirefox said:

Is it worth creating "fake" profiles or creating a personal account on the sites? For example 1, usually on social networks they use the personal account, but on forums they use fake profiles. Is it worth having multiple accounts on facebook? But there are sites and apps that only let you make one account, like in forums.

For example 2, it's better on sites that only accept creating an account like vk, telegram, face, etc. have a personal account, and on forums fake profile accounts? there are many websites, if you want to interact, you will have to create a fake, because you don't want to show yourself, like a post on youtube, you don't want to appear.

obs. I have several fake accounts on google, youtube, but on other platforms they limit you to only having one account, and by smartphone number it limits you to having only one account, because no one will have two smartphones or more, just to have more accounts in the apps and websites.

Creating fake profiles or having multiple accounts on platforms is generally against the terms of service of most websites and apps. It can lead to consequences such as account suspension or banning if discovered. It's recommended to use platforms within their intended guidelines and maintain a single genuine account. If privacy is a concern, explore privacy settings or use platforms that allow for pseudonymous interaction while staying within their terms of service. Always adhere to the rules and policies of the specific platform to avoid potential issues.

• 1 month later...
On 15/02/2024 at 06:05, Jennifer21 said:

Creating fake profiles or having multiple accounts on platforms is generally against the terms of service of most websites and apps. It can lead to consequences such as account suspension or banning if discovered. It's recommended to use platforms within their intended guidelines and maintain a single genuine account. If privacy is a concern, explore privacy settings or use platforms that allow for pseudonymous interaction while staying within their terms of service. Always adhere to the rules and policies of the specific platform to avoid potential issues.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHno. Hell no.  Absolutely no. Ever.

Put as little as possible of your real self online.  Nothing good ever comes of doing that.

I have a number of fake Facebook accounts.  They serve one purpose: trolling my friends.  And at this point they know, and are in on the joke.  We refer to them in real life sometimes.

So - purpose?  No not really.   But pointless fun?  If you're a manchild like me, then yes, absolutely.