Windows 11 -- Troubleshooting shutting down issues after entering Modern Standby

Hi there,

I have a ThinkPad X13 Gen 1 (AMD Ryzen 4750U) which I upgraded to Windows 11 a couple of months ago.

I am experiencing the following issue:

1. When my computer enters Modern Standby, and then I wake up the computer, everything works fine (as per normal).

2. However, when I proceed to shut down my computer after that, the computer seems to shut down as per normal, however, the power LED continues to stay on (thus, not a complete shut down). I have to manually force shut down the computer by holding down the power button.

3. If I do not force shut down but wait about 10-15 minutes, the laptop suddenly restarts. Event Viewer shows an unexpected shut down event.

I have tried:

• Clean installing Windows 11 -- twice through the Reset this PC function (which did not the issue), and once through the ISO file via USB thumbdrive (it solved the issue for a week but then yesterday, I started experiencing the same issues again). 
  • Disabling fast startup and disabling hybrid sleep -- both did not work. If I disable fast startup, I get stuck on the "Shutting down" screen instead, and 10-15 mins later the laptop will suddenly restart (same as item 3)
  • If I do a restart instead of a shutting down, same issue, just that I get stuck on the "Restarting" screen instead. 10-15 minutes later -- same as Option 3
  • Updating all my drivers and ensuring I am on the latest BIOS

What stumps me is that Event Viewer does not show anything useful apart from an "unexpected shutdown event" when I manually force a shutdown or when the laptop automatically restarts after 10-15 minutes. 

Has anyone experienced this before, or know how to troubleshoot such issues? I have no idea where to start...

Hello,

Have you tried disabling hibernation by using a POWERCFG -H OFF command at an elevated Command Prompt (filename: CMD.EXE)?  If so does this now let you turn off the computer successfully?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky