Windows update stuck at 30% on reboot, has been since early this morning

My wife just texted me that her system is stuck at 30% on windows update (post reboot) and most likely has since around 0200. Is there anything that she can do? I don't think she can safely reboot the system without it corrupting the entire system, is that still the case? She has no ability to reinstall if something goes wrong, and I am not close to evaluate it.

On 12/02/2022 at 11:49, jnelsoninjax said:

My wife just texted me that her system is stuck at 30% on windows update (post reboot) and most likely has since around 0200. Is there anything that she can do? I don't think she can safely reboot the system without it corrupting the entire system, is that still the case? She has no ability to reinstall if something goes wrong, and I am not close to evaluate it.

Give it an hour. If it's an laptop with an HDD have her lay her ear on the palm rest and see if she hears the hard drive working away, if she does, have her give it some time.. After that hold the power button down for 10 seconds. Usually if an update fails it will say it failed and roll it back. I'm assuming it's doing a cumulative and not a feature update such as 2004.

• Thanks 1

On 12/02/2022 at 12:57, warwagon said:

Give it an hour. If it's an laptop with an HDD have her lay her ear on the palm rest and see if she hears the hard drive working away, if she does, have her give it some time.. After that hold the power button down for 10 seconds. Usually if an update fails it will say it failed and roll it back. I'm assuming it's doing a cumulative and not a feature update such as 2004.

It has been close to 7 hours since the update would've started, and it's a desktop

On 12/02/2022 at 12:18, jnelsoninjax said:

She powered it down, and then turned it back on and it came back up!

The old "turn it off and back on again".

Most complained about response from support that fixes 90% of problems 🤣

• Haha 1

On 12/02/2022 at 13:24, Jester124 said:

The old "turn it off and back on again".

Most complained about response from support that fixes 90% of problems 🤣

I was concerned what effect it would have if she powered down during an update.

On 12/02/2022 at 15:37, jnelsoninjax said:

I was concerned what effect it would have if she powered down during an update.

Yeah, it can really go either way. Biggest thing is most of the time the system recovers without any need for intervention and in most cases where it does have issues, the system repair tool usually can fix it. Not saying that it is always that easy, but not as scary as the old XP and prior systems days.