PSA: Fake emails claiming to be from "Norton" and "McAfee" are on the rise.

PSA: Fake emails claiming to be from "Norton" and "McAfee" are on the rise.

Email inboxes are getting bombarded with emails saying, “you have an infection”, “your antivirus has expired", "you need to update your protection” or “it has been renewed for X number of dollars.”

Sometimes included in the email is a phone number to call. Do not call the number.al. They are a total scam.

There's nothing you can do to prevent this kind of email from reaching your personal inbox. Just mark it as spam and delete it.

It's also a good idea to follow one of the golden rules of internet safety: don’t click links in emails.

Case and point: If you do actually have McAfee Antivirus and get an email claiming your subscription has expired, don't click the link in the email. Instead go to McAfee directly, log into your account and check your subscription status.

https://www.mcafee.com/

https://us.norton.com/

• +Warwagon changed the title to PSA: Fake emails claiming to be from "Norton" and "McAfee" are on the rise.
  • 3 months later...

Not news - even Symantec itself - which still owns the brand - advises that - and has for decades! (I've been a Symantec customer - off and on - for over three DECADES - back to their acquisition of Central Point Software.) The same crapware shows up in drive-by ads - claming to be from the same two companies - even phones are vulnerable.  (It's why I added Avast One to my Android defense toolbox - which costs nothing.)

On 26/05/2022 at 18:19, PGHammer said:

Not news - even Symantec itself - which still owns the brand - advises that - and has for decades! (I've been a Symantec customer - off and on - for over three DECADES - back to their acquisition of Central Point Software.) The same crapware shows up in drive-by ads - claming to be from the same two companies - even phones are vulnerable.  (It's why I added Avast One to my Android defense toolbox - which costs nothing.)

Yes, not news but I still get calls from people weekly who fall for it.

Too true - which is why I pointed to how long merely Symantec has been providing this same warning.