Distracted Driving PSA

A friend's kid contacted me asking if I could help him with a class project about distracted driving.  He showed me his story board. 

Essentially, he was going play an old man and get to get love tapped by the car and then fall down. I told him that might just look like an insurance scam, because we can't actually run you over and even love tapping you is not safe.

I told him I have a better idea...

You can read this after watching the video (don't want to give anything away)

Spoiler

We can't actually run you over, but using the magic of sound effects we can RUN you over. So I told him my idea and he liked it. So we recorded it in about 20 mins. Then edited it.

You can read this after watching the video  (don't want to give anything away)

Spoiler

It was REALLY windy that day so we heard a LOT Of wind noise. So I had an idea. I thought lets just split the video and the audio track and just nuke the entire audio track. Problem is we have to replace it with something. So I grabbed some farm ambiance off YouTube as the background track. Then added sound effects from YouTube including at the start of the video  the truck driving down the road. At the end, I added crunchy gravel sounds, and car door sound effects.

He told me he got an A+ On the project and today he sent me a video of his school YouTube station, and his video was selected from the class project as the one to be featured on. He told me he's now famous in school lol.

• Like 3

• +warwagon changed the title to Distracted Driving PSA

Added just the video itself to the top of the thread.

Nice work. Glad he got a good grade and some recognition for it

On 22/03/2022 at 17:57, Jester124 said:

Nice work. Glad he got a good grade and some recognition for it

Filmed on an iPhone SE 2020 ... I haven't had that much fun in a while. I had a blast!

I always find it amazing on how far phone cameras have come. Outside of very rare cases (or you are in the media business), there is no need anymore for dedicated devices. The only time I grab my Nikon D5000 anymore is when I need a specialty lens for things like extreme close-ups or my 70-300mm lens for long distance shots. Sad to say, it has been on my shelf for 1.5 years without use.

On 22/03/2022 at 18:22, Jester124 said:

I always find it amazing on how far phone cameras have come. Outside of very rare cases (or you are in the media business), there is no need anymore for dedicated devices. The only time I grab my Nikon D5000 anymore is when I need a specialty lens for things like extreme close-ups or my 70-300mm lens for long distance shots. Sad to say, it has been on my shelf for 1.5 years without use.

Ya, the last time i got out my Sony mirrorless camera was too take senior photos for that same friends daughter. I was going to use that camera to record this video but the iPhone has such good software image stabilization that it worked much better.

the senior photos really turned out good and invitation she made with it looked incredible.

image.thumb.png.8d4853691c028eaf7d8b54b66da9faca.png

• Like 1

On 22/03/2022 at 18:23, warwagon said:

Ya, the last time i got out my Sony mirrorless camera was too take senior photos for that same friends daughter. I was going to use that camera to record this video but the iPhone has such good software image stabilization that it worked much better.

the senior photos really turned out good and invitation she made with it looked incredible.

image.thumb.png.8d4853691c028eaf7d8b54b66da9faca.png

That did turn out really well. I do miss the more natural looking colors as well. One of my last photos was a visit back up to my home town and took some picks of the oar docks there. No editing, from NEF raw file and just resized to not exceed file size limit:

image.thumb.png.2aa4ea06fa9399950a5c85d4425e1bb3.png

On 22/03/2022 at 18:42, Jester124 said:

That did turn out really well. I do miss the more natural looking colors as well. One of my last photos was a visit back up to my home town and took some picks of the oar docks there. No editing, from NEF raw file and just resized to not exceed file size limit:

image.thumb.png.2aa4ea06fa9399950a5c85d4425e1bb3.png

You can really see the detail in the water. The version of the photo I uploaded was from a compressed facebook copy! :)

On 22/03/2022 at 18:45, warwagon said:

You can really see the detail in the water. The version of the photo I uploaded was from a compressed facebook copy! :)

Yup, the only spot that suffered from the compression that I can see right off the bat is the front of the dock looks a little blurry. But can't really upload at original res (4288x2848).

On 22/03/2022 at 18:49, Jester124 said:

Yup, the only spot that suffered from the compression that I can see right off the bat is the front of the dock looks a little blurry. But can't really upload at original res (4288x2848).

I took her photos in Raw and what was amazing is the sky behind her was completely blown out. Then in lightroom I took the highlight slider and started to turn down the highlights and all of the sudden that sky and that little sun appeared.

On 22/03/2022 at 18:51, warwagon said:

I took her photos in Raw and what was amazing is the sky behind her was completely blown out. Then in lightroom I took the highlight slider and started to turn down the highlights and all of the sudden that sky appeared.

Raw's are awesome and makes editing so much easier. While phone static pics can still look great, the post processing and lack of being able to get raw's make it harder for professional shots. I will say they killed the point-and-click market though. Outside of some having better zooms, I have not seen anything in that market that is worth it.

Nice video, I think the crash sound was a little heavy for someone hitting a bag of flesh at what seemed like 5 mph, but it was vaguely comical in that regard.  If you need to do panning/tracking shots ever again, a gimbal is so totally worthwhile :)

On 22/03/2022 at 19:10, Dick Montage said:

Nice video, I think the crash sound was a little heavy for someone hitting a bag of flesh at what seemed like 5 mph, but it was vaguely comical in that regard.  If you need to do panning/tracking shots ever again, a gimbal is so totally worthwhile :)

Ya, I kind of wanted it to be funny.

• Haha 1