Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

Came out over the weekend... I saw it Thursday night... I liked it, but it wasn't a standout showing by Marvel by any stretch.  It does it's job and moves the story forward while also giving some fan service.  

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

It was nice to see kind of an in between your usual superhero or antihero thing.

I didn't really feel terribly strongly about the movie but I did enjoy it so eh.

Oh yeah, it was 100% a Sam Raimi movie... the 2nd action sequence in NYC felt like it was pulled directly from a Tobey Maguire Spiderman movie, nevermind the horror/Evil Dead-type stuff.  

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Finally got around to seeing this.  If I'm being honest I wasn't that impressed with it.  It was more of a Wandavision sequel while also acting as a character intro for America. 

It was like 30%  about Strange. 

• Like 1

On 23/06/2022 at 05:07, George P said:

Finally got around to seeing this.  If I'm being honest I wasn't that impressed with it.  It was more of a Wandavision sequel while also acting as a character intro for America. 

It was like 30%  about Strange. 

Haven't seen it yet...just noticed (while loading up Obi-Wan) that it has been made available on regular Disney+.  Caught me by surprise.  

Spoilers ahead:

Spoiler

I rolled my eyes at Black Bolt, Reed Richards and Prof. Charles Xavier being disposed of without any effort on the Scarlett Witch's part, but Captain Marvel and Captain Carter only got killed after epic battle scenes, bravo! strong women/girl power! /s There was more of the same throughout with even a plot point of Stephen Strange being weak minded (with the implication that even the "good" Doctor Strange is now influenced by the Darkhold). Wanda gets a pass because of everything she went through with Vision and Thanos (played out over the events of a few movies and Wandavision), and even redeemed herself at the end just to make it clear to the audience she was good, in the end.

I'm not even a big Marvel fan, but I could have skipped this one I feel, I did enjoy Bruce Campbell's cameo scenes.

6/10 for me.

BTW I am currently enjoying the Ms. Marvel series, although @Usama Jawad96tells me the characters are not true to the Pakistani culture they seem to be portraying.

• Like 1

On 27/06/2022 at 03:04, Steven P. said:

Spoilers ahead:

Reveal hidden contents

I rolled my eyes at Black Bolt, Reed Richards and Prof. Charles Xavier being disposed of without any effort on the Scarlett Witch's part, but Captain Marvel and Captain Carter only got killed after epic battle scenes, bravo! strong women/girl power! /s There was more of the same throughout with even a plot point of Stephen Strange being weak minded (with the implication that even the "good" Doctor Strange is now influenced by the Darkhold). Wanda gets a pass because of everything she went through with Vision and Thanos (played out over the events of a few movies and Wandavision), and even redeemed herself at the end just to make it clear to the audience she was good, in the end.

I'm not even a big Marvel fan, but I could have skipped this one I feel, I did enjoy Bruce Campbell's cameo scenes.

6/10 for me.

BTW I am currently enjoying the Ms. Marvel series, although @Usama Jawad96tells me the characters are not true to the Pakistani culture they seem to be portraying.

Let me clarify, I did not mean that they are completely wrong because I haven't watched the show. I just found out about some instances of dialog/mannerisms that are actually common in Indian culture rather than Pakistani. I don't know how accurate the show is overall since I haven't  watched it yet.

Finally got around to watching Scarlet Witch in the Multiverse of Depression

Meh...it was fine.  Did enjoy watching Scarlet showcassing her powers ... the story was kinda bland and predictable...especially the end (though I was surprised anyone was left to rebuild after what she did).  

On 27/06/2022 at 23:57, Jim K said:

Finally got around to watching Scarlet Witch in the Multiverse of Depression

Meh...it was fine.  Did enjoy watching Scarlet showcassing her powers ... the story was kinda bland and predictable...especially the end (though I was surprised anyone was left to rebuild after what she did).  

Just watched it myself, and honestly, I'm a little confused...

Spoiler

Wasn't the ending of Loki supposed to be leading into this?!?

• Thanks 1

On 29/06/2022 at 05:59, FloatingFatMan said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, I thought so too...at least some small part...but nothing.  Kinda weird.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 29/06/2022 at 06:59, FloatingFatMan said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I assume the two are essentially happening at the same time, or that Loki overlapped with No Way Home and there wasn't enough time between the end of NWH/WandaVision and DSMoM for the ramifications to occur. 

KF said not long ago that in the next few months we should have a clearer picture on where things are going, so I suspect we'll know more from either the end of Ms Marvel, from Thor or from She-Hulk.  Black Panther 2 isn't out until November so that might be too far off.

We have to also keep in mind that the pandemic really goofed up release schedules for these movies and shows.  MoM was originally set for May 2021, and was supposed to happen before the events of No Way Home.

On 23/05/2022 at 08:39, Dick Montage said:

Evil Dead but with Marvel characters. This is all.

Hit the nail on the head there!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

saw it last weekend. it was alright, had it's ups and dulls.

Spoiler

They did Wanda dirty at the end IMO though dropping the entire castle on herself as punishment/redemption .... me thinks that won't be the last we see of her still though

not disappointed all in all; left a lot of potential places to go with his 3rd eye opening up (Y) 

On 29/06/2022 at 21:23, Brandon H said:

saw it last weekend. it was alright, had it's ups and dulls.

Hide contents

They did Wanda dirty at the end IMO though dropping the entire castle on herself as punishment/redemption .... me thinks that won't be the last we see of her still though

not disappointed all in all; left a lot of potential places to go with his 3rd eye opening up (Y) 

With them already going head first into the multiverse.

Spoiler

Anyone "dead" could just show up again but from another universe.  The movie at least showed that is possible with Strange being dead in one way in advance of the movie taking place, so...    In true comic book fashion anyone can just show up again, yay?  

I had the same problem with it in the "Girl Power" sense. Hollywood, in general, is getting their own "Messeage"

completely wrong pulling this "The only way to make women seem strong, powerful, and independent is

to make the men seem completely useless". Just write a strong character without de-fanging the other characters.

Other than that, I loved it. LOTs of powers being used, etc. And Dr. Strange in the "What If..." body. hehe

• Like 2

Spoiler

After the scarlet witch came to the place that they were protecting the girl and after she destroyed the force fields around the place and killed most of them .. I asked. "You know what's she doing now?" ..........................................."Coming to America" LOL

I am happy for...

Anson Mount getting his chance to replay Blackbolt again though, he deserved that after that car wreck that was Inhumans