Having graphics card problems

Question

I got used graphics card from my friend evga geforce gtx 970 and it was working for a while until 3 days ago it stoped working.

everytime i try to turn my pc on the fans of the card start spinning then they stop on there own 

when I use my integrated graphics it works perfectly

I started up afterburner and went into device manager and the graphics card apears on both

in MSI Afterburner I can make the fans spinn normally and can see all the regular stats so problem 

I tried changing the ram nothing worked I tryed a full reset

bios video graphics start up i dont know whats wrong with it

pls help thank you for your time 

have a good one 

5 answers to this question

You could try taking out the card and reinserting it. Sounds like it is getting power if the fans spin up, so it might be a bad connection.

On 18/05/2022 at 17:29, Steven P. said:

, so it might be a bad connection.

Possible sure - I would try that as well.. Or it could just be dead.. GTX 970 is a pretty old card..  What from 2014... Pretty sure they just didn't roll that card off the assembly line ;)  How long did your friend use it?

All things die not just HDD..

On 18/05/2022 at 19:09, BudMan said:

Possible sure - I would try that as well.. Or it could just be dead.. GTX 970 is a pretty old card..  What from 2014... Pretty sure they just didn't roll that card off the assembly line ;)  How long did your friend use it?

All things die not just HDD..

Aww now i feel really bad about my GTX 770 :)

On 18/05/2022 at 21:13, warwagon said:

bad about my GTX 770

I wasn't saying they still not viable ;)  Just that lets say a 8 year old card could just be dead..   Shoot electronics could die with couple of hours of use, or they could run for years and years.

If me - and some 8 year old used card stopped working - I wouldn't spend a lot of time troubleshooting is all.. Use it as a good excuse to get a more current device..   I had a old gtx 710 got multiple years of use out of  - and was still actually working when I finally updated my old PC..  Kind of wish it would of died, and would of been enough to kick me in the ass and get a new PC vs using it for like 2 more years.  It had been a cheap replacement/upgrade when the pc original card died..

I'm not a fan of spending money on the the latest bleeding edge... Normally last years model or even 2 years ago are way cheaper then whatever the current latest and greatest is, etc.

And the price of graphic cards, especially currently ones are not cheap that is for sure..   I went with a 1660ti when got my new pc, because it was a few hundred cheaper than current models.. And for my uses works great - and its crazy faster in transcoding my video compared to my old 710, and it does x265 in hardware, etc..