Dual monitor question

I am using dual monitors, a 4K and a 1080p. Both are Asus branded. My question is, according to WIndows the 4K is the primary display (based on which DP it's plugged in on the GPU) , which is how I want it, but on reboot, the UEFI/loading screen is broadcast to the 1080 monitor, which is not a bad thing except that I have it rotated in portrait mode, but the system does not see it like that so it makes any work within the UEFI a bit more challenging. Is there anyway to force the system to use the 4K for booting?

On 30/05/2022 at 06:34, jnelsoninjax said:

I am using dual monitors, a 4K and a 1080p. Both are Asus branded. My question is, according to WIndows the 4K is the primary display (based on which DP it's plugged in on the GPU) , which is how I want it, but on reboot, the UEFI/loading screen is broadcast to the 1080 monitor, which is not a bad thing except that I have it rotated in portrait mode, but the system does not see it like that so it makes any work within the UEFI a bit more challenging. Is there anyway to force the system to use the 4K for booting?

Change the order of what’s plugged into the GPU. 

The 4K is the primary display, it did not make any difference when the other monitor was plugged in to the DP that the 4K is currently, it always uses the lower res monitor.

On 30/05/2022 at 06:43, jnelsoninjax said:

The 4K is the primary display, it did not make any difference when the other monitor was plugged in to the DP that the 4K is currently, it always uses the lower res monitor.

Have you tried turning off the lower resolution monitor when in the bios?

If switching the order on the GPU didn’t help, I wonder if it’s going by which monitor turns on and boots first.

On 30/05/2022 at 09:49, adrynalyne said:

Have you tried turning off the lower resolution monitor when in the bios?

If switching the order on the GPU didn’t help, I wonder if it’s going by which monitor turns on and boots first.

I had not thought about that. I am not even sure where to look for that setting

On 30/05/2022 at 06:51, jnelsoninjax said:

I had not thought about that. I am not even sure where to look for that setting

The power button is usually on the bottom of the monitor; maybe on the back. 😜

On 30/05/2022 at 09:53, adrynalyne said:

The power button is usually on the bottom of the monitor; maybe on the back. 😜

You mean the little button that says power? How dare you talk about magic here! :D

On 30/05/2022 at 14:43, jnelsoninjax said:

I suspect you made the 4k monitor the primary in the OS so wont affect anything until that has loaded. Change the order they are cabled on the GPU and it will swap.

On 31/05/2022 at 05:25, StrikedOut said:

I suspect you made the 4k monitor the primary in the OS so wont affect anything until that has loaded. Change the order they are cabled on the GPU and it will swap.

The 4K is plugged into the first DP port on the GPU, and Windows detects it as #1, I never set that.

On 31/05/2022 at 10:48, jnelsoninjax said:

The 4K is plugged into the first DP port on the GPU, and Windows detects it as #1, I never set that.

If you have CSM enabled, the BIOS will always use the monitor plugged via HDMI which I assume your 1080 is. If you have CSM disabled, the BIOS should boot to the 1st port on the GPU which is the DP port.

If both monitors are plugged in via DP, then i would make sure the firmware is updated on the GPU and see if  the monitor is known to have this "issue". 

On 31/05/2022 at 22:07, Sikh said:

If you have CSM enabled, the BIOS will always use the monitor plugged via HDMI which I assume your 1080 is. If you have CSM disabled, the BIOS should boot to the 1st port on the GPU which is the DP port.

If both monitors are plugged in via DP, then i would make sure the firmware is updated on the GPU and see if  the monitor is known to have this "issue". 

Both monitors are plugged in via DP. I will check for firmware update on my GPU next