Slap in face to Macbook Webcams?

So with the new announcement of the new Mac OS going to support using your iPhone as a webcam do you think its a slap in the face for MacBook owners? I am not saying this is a bad idea and I think it is a good idea but if you pay over 1,000 USD and many times much higher price for a MacBook shouldn't you be getting a high quality webcam built in that you shouldn't need to use your iPhone webcam?

Again I am not trying to hate on apple but does anyone feel this? I know Apples Webcams are better quality than a lot of PC Windows laptops but still paying like 2 grand for a device in many cases then having to use your lesser expensive iphone as a patc for the poor quality webcam just kind of seems to go against the whole apple minimalistic less clutter and buying a product that is good quality all around.

Hello,

I do not personally use any Apple products, but I do not see this as a particular issue.  The amount of space available in laptops' bezels is always decreasing as manufacturers market their devices based on their thinness and the amount of space on the lid devoted to the screen. 

That practice of "device minimalism," which has been driven in part by Apple, has lead to a decreasing amount of space available for the placement of high resolution, wide color gamut webcam assemblies in Apple's laptops as well as other manufacturers who slavishly copy Apple.

All of the Windows-based laptops I have used over the past decade or so have 720p webcams; to get 1080p (FHD) resolution, I have always had to use an external webcam from a third party like Creative, Logitech, Microsoft and so forth.

Apple's solution to allow their iPhone to function as a multi-megapixel webcam is an excellent solution to this problem, and I do not see any reason to fault them for allowing its use as an alternative to the built-in webcam or an external webcams from third parties.  If this is all completely unacceptable to you, then I would suggest lobbying Apple to make devices with thicker lids and reduce the screen size inside of them to make room for higher resolution webcam assemblies.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 09/06/2022 at 15:11, nukenorman said:

So with the new announcement of the new Mac OS going to support using your iPhone as a webcam do you think its a slap in the face for MacBook owners? I am not saying this is a bad idea and I think it is a good idea but if you pay over 1,000 USD and many times much higher price for a MacBook shouldn't you be getting a high quality webcam built in that you shouldn't need to use your iPhone webcam?

Again I am not trying to hate on apple but does anyone feel this? I know Apples Webcams are better quality than a lot of PC Windows laptops but still paying like 2 grand for a device in many cases then having to use your lesser expensive iphone as a patc for the poor quality webcam just kind of seems to go against the whole apple minimalistic less clutter and buying a product that is good quality all around.

No. The convenience of using a built-in webcam cannot be ignored, and likely won't be. Using your iPhone will be niche.

On 09/06/2022 at 15:43, goretsky said:

Hello,

I do not personally use any Apple products, but I do not see this as a particular issue.  The amount of space available in laptops' bezels is always decreasing as manufacturers market their devices based on their thinness and the amount of space on the lid devoted to the screen. 

That practice of "device minimalism," which has been driven in part by Apple, has lead to a decreasing amount of space available for the placement of high resolution, wide color gamut webcam assemblies in Apple's laptops as well as other manufacturers who slavishly copy Apple.

All of the Windows-based laptops I have used over the past decade or so have 720p webcams; to get 1080p (FHD) resolution, I have always had to use an external webcam from a third party like Creative, Logitech, Microsoft and so forth.

Apple's solution to allow their iPhone to function as a multi-megapixel webcam is an excellent solution to this problem, and I do not see any reason to fault them for allowing its use as an alternative to the built-in webcam or an external webcams from third parties.  If this is all completely unacceptable to you, then I would suggest lobbying Apple to make devices with thicker lids and reduce the screen size inside of them to make room for higher resolution webcam assemblies.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

My MBP has a 1080p webcam, so I am not sure thats their solution to the problem as much as something neat to for people to play with.