Why is my fresh reformat Surface Pro 6 extremely slow?

i5 8th gen with 8GB memory with 256 NVE + 128 microSD. Windows 10 to latest update.

Just reformat win10 and I feel it's extremely slow. For example, I installed couple of standard programs like Foxit (for PDF) , Faststine (image viewer),  media player classic (media player), Firefox (duh), etc.

Trying to open a file (pdf, jpg, mpg, html) file, I got the usual 'what program do you want to open the file with'?  I select other programs and I go to my Program Files folder and I still can not see the program I just installed. It took like 3min to finally appear. We're talking an NVE and I wasn't loading anything else.

Even browsing Windows explorer was slow! Heck it got stuck on 1 tab of Google Chrome.

Any thoughts? My surface was slow pre format. But a fresh format this slow?? Somethng ain't right.

Check your memory with Memtest. I think your RAM is being eaten up.

Check all the background apps, see if one is using too many resources. Go to System Manager (or whatever it's called)

On 16/06/2022 at 00:26, Mindovermaster said:

Check your memory with Memtest. I think your RAM is being eaten up.

Check all the background apps, see if one is using too many resources. Go to System Manager (or whatever it's called)

Anything specific I should be looking for?

Ran 5 loops and they all finished with no errors.

Hello,

Did you install Windows using Microsoft's recovery image that is specifically for the Surface, available from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/surface-recovery-image for download?  If not, you should try wiping the drive and installing that, instead.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

On 18/06/2022 at 04:48, goretsky said:

Hello,

Did you install Windows using Microsoft's recovery image that is specifically for the Surface, available from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/surface-recovery-image for download?  If not, you should try wiping the drive and installing that, instead.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Just tried it out, will reply if I see any good/bad results.

I don't use it that much anymore