Win 10 boot menu always showing on reboot

The boot menu keeps showing upon reboot, and the time is set for around 5 or 10 seconds. I am trying to figure out why this is and how to disable it. According to MSCONFIG it shows normal startup, so IDK where it is being called from.

In msconfig, what does the Boot tab look like? It should only be displaying a single line within the main window. 

It should only say:  Windows 10 (C:\Windows) : Current OS; Default OS

If there are any more lines, remove them. 

If the menu was turned on using BCDEDIT, try this:

https://www.4winkey.com/windows-10/enable-f8-safe-mode-in-windows-10-boot-menu.html

Boot.PNG.84dea5bee1b34811f96088e93e4026bd.PNG

On 16/06/2022 at 22:53, xMorpheousx416 said:

In msconfig, what does the Boot tab look like? It should only be displaying a single line within the main window. 

It should only say:  Windows 10 (C:\Windows) : Current OS; Default OS

If there are any more lines, remove them. 

If the menu was turned on using BCDEDIT, try this:

https://www.4winkey.com/windows-10/enable-f8-safe-mode-in-windows-10-boot-menu.html

I still don't know which boot menu you're talking about. For example, I dual boot so I get the GRUB menu when I startup.

Can you take a photo of the menu that appears?

Just go into Advanced Options for the PC and uncheck the box that shows boot time delay.

image.png.233d3ca987573c71ff00b389b9c38d11.png

image.png

When you turn on your computer, take a picture with your phone the boot menu in question and post it here. Is this the one that is appearing?

image.png.0dc1b533762e79a122f66019ac863ebc.png

If it is, go to start and type advanced system settings and then click the advanced tab, then under startup and recovery click settings. Then uncheck time to display list of operating systems.

image.png.a6964f6891adcc93c43ce4416998dd18.png

Yes, this just started recently >a month, nothing in the UEFI has changed.

On 17/06/2022 at 14:23, jnelsoninjax said:

Yes, this just started recently >a month, nothing in the UEFI has changed.

Try typing

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu no

into an elevated command prompt

I tested it on a spare laptop .. I typed bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes rebooted and got the exact same screen you are currently getting. Then after typing bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu no and rebooting it booted up normal again.

I wanted to test it on a spare laptop first

On 17/06/2022 at 14:26, warwagon said:

Try typing

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu no

into an elevated command prompt

I tested it on a spare laptop .. I typed bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes rebooted and got the exact same screen you are currently getting. Then after typing bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu no and rebooting it booted up normal again.

I wanted to test it on a spare laptop first

Boy.. sure glad no one had already suggested that. 🤣 😂

Now... while we may not be able to tell you how the Safe Mode boot menu has appeared for you, BCDEDIT is a command option to turn it back on/off. Back in the days of XP thru 7/8.. you could press F8 while booting to get to this menu. Microsoft turned that option off in 10... so, if you want to keep it there, you can. And using the info provided by the others, you can see those screen shots, either in msconfig, or Advanced Startup settings.. you can lower that timeout to say, five (5) seconds. That way if you need to troubleshoot and get into safe mode fairly quickly, you have that option.

Then turn it back off as needed.

On 18/06/2022 at 11:02, xMorpheousx416 said:

Now... while we may not be able to tell you how the Safe Mode boot menu has appeared for you, BCDEDIT is a command option to turn it back on/off. Back in the days of XP thru 7/8.. you could press F8 while booting to get to this menu. Microsoft turned that option off in 10... so, if you want to keep it there, you can. And using the info provided by the others, you can see those screen shots, either in msconfig, or Advanced Startup settings.. you can lower that timeout to say, five (5) seconds. That way if you need to troubleshoot and get into safe mode fairly quickly, you have that option.

Yep, Microsoft removing the F8 by default still brings my pi** to a boil to this day!

On 18/06/2022 at 11:02, xMorpheousx416 said:

Some people are too lazy to click a link, you also posted it as code and not a link, so he couldn't have clicked it if he wanted too, he would have had to copy and paste it into his address bar.🤣

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/06/2022 at 09:02, xMorpheousx416 said:

Back in the days of XP thru 7/8.. you could press F8 while booting to get to this menu. Microsoft turned that option off in 10... so, if you want to keep it there, you can.

the F8 option was also disabled in Win8/8.1, xMorpheousx416
I know because pressing F8 normally did nothing to boot into safe mode on my dad's Toshiba 2013 laptop that has Win8.1 with UEFI & secure boot on.  So it's the same in Win8.x like in Win10

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/5-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-8-windows-81/