Conducting a Memtest86 Today--Had 1 Question though on that aspect

Memtest86 all passed fine

but for my CPU  it said  CPUS found 16,    CPUs in Use 8,  CPUS Active 8,    a month ago i got my CPU cooler  upgraded on my Intel 10700 from Stock LGA 1200 cooler to ARCTIC Freezer 7X by local shop,    Temps are fine, max got during that was 63C,   Wasn't my first choice of newer cooler, but i messed up trying to install my Be Quiet Pure Rock 2 Black edition myself,   lugged system over to local shop and they said the one i bought wouldn't work well in my case, and told Me Arctic 7 Freezer X will do the job fine

Does Memtest only use 8 Cores and 8 Threads, or should it be using all 8 cores and 16 Threads? 

By default, I don't think the tests run on hyperthreads.  You can enable it through the .cfg ... but not sure of the point?

Edit.  See page 27.  Looks like the .cfg is only applicable to the Pro version.  When did they come out with a Pro version?  Anyway...

https://www.memtest86.com/downloads/MemTest86_User_Guide_UEFI.pdf

Oh ok, just was curious there as thought i wasn't using all cores available to it.    Anyways memory test passed fine so thats good thing,  decided since i never ran it on my newer 32GB Ram kit i'd give it a go, and give Gaming Laptop some use while it ran eariler.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed the memtest.org site (different from memtest86.com) has finally updated on June 3rd 2022. it's still 'beta2' and says, "v6 is NOT READY for production yet! Please consider the actual code as experimental and expect crashes and freezes. First non-beta release is expected this summer." ; still, worth trying as it says, "It should work on any Pentium class or later 32-bit or 64-bit x86 CPU."

Memtest86+ v6 is an unified, free, open-source memory testing tool, released under GNU GPL v2.0. The new v6 code base (originally called PCMemTest) was provided by Martin Whitaker, based on Memtest86+ v5, developed by Sam Demeulemeester. Both are now working on Memtest86+.

Memtest86+ is unrelated to 'Memtest86', a closed-source `Freemium` software released in 2013 by PassMark Software Pty Ltd.

but this the memtest.org one in the changelog says... "Add support for up to 256 cores".

p.s. I loaded the ISO up through Ventoy enabled USB stick (I booted to the USB stick in UEFI mode) and it worked fine on my main PC (i5-3550 with DDR3 RAM). but trying to boot it on my old ASUS board (which is standard BIOS boot from the old days) which is basically high end in 2005-2006 kicked out to the OS. but I just burned the ISO to a CD-RW disc and it loads fine from that.

• Like 1

On 24/06/2022 at 13:45, hellowalkman said:

Btw the free Memtest uses up to 16 threads (logical cores)

I think you need to start 16 instances for it to use 16 threads with the free version. An instance of the free version will use only 1 thread.

On 05/07/2022 at 04:06, LaP said:

I think you need to start 16 instances for it to use 16 threads with the free version. An instance of the free version will use only 1 thread.

Interesting! Will have to try that out.