Mentally ill people in society (differences between the 1980's and 2020's)

1980's - Cops having their wives die or leave them causes various mental issues

1990-2000s - Teenagers start emancipation/suing their parents for making them eat vegetables or game console bans

2010's - Laughing at criminal damage.

2020's: Fake disorders and cancel culture

0e07e5b489436d62a14e39f513d9e6dd.jpg

I think there's a difference between Mental illness and raising sh*tty kids. Every Sunday morning on TV they show commercials trying to instill core values, there is one for caring, there is one just showing a kid holding a door for someone else. It always blows my mind

I'm watching these thinking ... WHY? It's so sad we have to show these on TV because kids are being raised with no morals. Some might say a shooter who shoots up a school is mentally ill, others would say he just has no values and no respect for human life.

https://www.passiton.com/inspirational-stories-tv-spots

Gratitude

Character

Humble and Kind

The problem starts with raising kids properly, and that's taken a huge wrong turn over the past 10-20 years. 

Ask any school teacher, that's been around for a while, what the pattern of child behavior has become.  The amount of out of control and ill-mannered kids has sky rocketed.  Worse yet, teachers can't discipline those kids or really do anything about it.  All the "normal" kids have to witness it day in and day out, which affects them too.

If the parents won't teach their kids right from wrong, and schools can't discipline them, then all these people end up with personality disorders and dangerous anger issues.

The unfortunate effects are already here and getting worse.  Nobody can disagree about anything anymore, and it goes straight to violence.  Mental health is the biggest pandemic that the USA is facing, and largely nothing is being done about it, which is incredibly sad.

I've actually seen bad parenting first hand. Years ago, I was at a store with a female friend who had her two kids with her. One was probably 10 years old and wanted candy from the checkout lane. She told her "No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, " .. then the child would throw a temper tantrum and she would say "Ok fine". ... I liked at her like ...WHAT ...in THE ....F***"

The next example I was at another female friends house a couple years after that... her son has "ADHD" and she would always "Send him to his room for the night" ..the was an old house so in his room upstairs he would leave his room and talk to his mom through the vent and the conversation would go something like this "Mommy can, I come down stairs" ..."NO i TOLD YOU ARE UP THEIR FOR THE REST OF THE NIGHT"...

Now just repeat that conversation like 10 times. Then he actually walked downstairs, stood next to her chair and asked her "Can I came back down?" ... and she said, and I quote "OK, only if you sit down and behave" .... once again I was flabbergasted... I was like WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!? 

My mom who at the time was in her late 50's, took my nephew to Walmart and he tried to pull a "Temper tantrum" .. she grabbed him by his hood and dragged him out of the store LOL. AMAZING! But she was from the age were you didn't take SH*T from a kid... as in "We are going to nip this crap in the butt right now"

On 28/06/2022 at 11:06, warwagon said:

My mom who at the time was in her late 50's, took my nephew to Walmart and he tried to pull a "Temper tantrum" .. she grabbed him by his hood and dragged him out of the store LOL. AMAZING! But she was from the age were you didn't take SH*T from a kid... as in "We are going to nip this crap in the butt right now"

You want to hear something funny related to that? When our daughter was 3 she threw a major tantrum at walmart we basically had to pick her up and carry her kicking and screaming at us to the front of the store where we were met by store security asking us not to leave until the cops showed up..... they thought we were kidnapping her....................................

I can see why some people just give up now days... somehow everything turns into something else like that

On 28/06/2022 at 17:17, neufuse said:

You want to hear something funny related to that? When our daughter was 3 she threw a major tantrum at walmart we basically had to pick her up and carry her kicking and screaming at us to the front of the store where we were met by store security asking us not to leave until the cops showed up..... they thought we were kidnapping her....................................

I can see why some people just give up now days... somehow everything turns into something else like that

Ugh yeah but this also shows the low levels of intelligence/education and training these "security" people have. When I was in my 30's and still smoked cigarettes I was in the U.S. for work and went to a store to buy some and was denied because I could not show a U.S. drivers license or I.D. card. I did have a European drivers license and my passport with me, but the store employee did not recognize them as legal I.D. Such massive failure to accommodate the customer.

We walked out of the store and an American that was with our group went back in and bought for me with his I.D. with no problems (this was not possible when we were all in there and he was standing next to me, even though he was fully within his rights).

On 28/06/2022 at 08:59, warwagon said:

I'm watching these thinking ... WHY? It's so sad we have to show these on TV because kids are being raised with no morals. Some might say a shooter who shoots up a school is mentally ill, others would say he just has no values and no respect for human life.

When exactly was this magical time where kids were raised "right" or with "proper" morels? Was in the 1950's when most white kids were taught to fear people of color and/or that they were less than white people? The 1980's when I grew up? I certainly would have never thought of acting up in public but my father did beat the crap out of me often (almost always for offenses a kid should not be beat the crap out for) and I was also basically mentally abused my whole childhood.  We now understand our father had the freaking mental problems not us. Granted that was our family but looking back it was obvious (now) a lot of my classmates had issues probably because they were also getting their asses handled to them just the same. A number of  kids who I knew back in school came out as gay later when an adult and of course that was not an option when they were a younger. That must have been rough and surly f*cks with your mental health. OK, there was less gun violence but guns just weren't as accessible or as "glamorous" than and there was basically zero access to something like AR15s.  We had guns at our house growing up but they were single-shot type guns you know for deer hunting. What I am saying is most mass shooting are not where the shooter had a 20ga shot gun.

I would be the first to agree parents today generally are not strict enough with their kids but I don't think that is a leading cause for the up tick in mental issues. I would need a source on that myself... I think there has always been good and bad parents. I think the up tick in metal issues today are way more societal. Right now, we seem very polarized and less tolerate in general. We are all running on Internet time and with the rise of mass surveillance, and than add endless misinformation/conspiracy  theories fueled by social media it's no wonder our general mental health sucks.

Sorry, I may be rambling here but that's my two cents.

Edited by Good Bot, Bad Bot

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I think the repeal of the Mental Health Systems Act of 1980 lead to an influx of mentally ill people being put onto the streets as mental health institutions were de-funded.

___

@Steven P., can I ask where in the United States you were visiting when you were refused the purchase of cigarettes?  One thing to keep in mind is that the United States covers a vast geographic territory:  Driving from San Francisco to New York City (as an example) is about the same distance as between Lisbon and Moscow.  Yet, throughout such a trip across the U.S., you would be remaining in the same country, with the same language, currency, and so forth.  Because the United States covers such a huge geography, many of its inhabitants, particularly those in the interior regions, may have never visited a foreign country, including the ones that share a border with us.

Having lived in both parts of the country heavily visited by tourists (Southern California) and parts that are less so (Colorado), I would say that there is definitely a difference in knowledge of foreign countries, including their IDs.  I would suspect that were you in, say, San Diego, for example, you would have had no trouble getting a pack of cigarettes.  In a less touristy-place, your identification would be more likely to be scrutinized. 

This has quite a bit less to do with the intelligence or education of the domestic population than it does with their exposure to foreigners; the average shopkeeper or publican in the United States is unlikely to come across foreign identification documents unless they work in a touristy area, and as a result not know how to interpret and determine if they are genuine.  Even inside the United States, there is sometimes confusion when it comes to looking at out-of-state forms of identification.  If you ever run across anyone who has lived in New Mexico (achieved statehood in 1912), ask them if they have ever been misidentified as a non-U.S. citizen.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

^ That brings up another point, Canada is just as vast yet we know more about the outside world than the US...

Ultimately a lot of it comes down to a failing education system and also a failure of the health system and pandering to the PC crowd.  I was just reading something at work today about pronouns and was like, have we forgotten basic biology?  Don't get me wrong, have nothing against the LGBTQ2+ (what ever else they've added on to the acronym...)  but our DNA is our biological gender/sex, tbh to make that crowd happy should instead be Biological Sex: M, Identify as: Meat Popsicle.

On 07/07/2022 at 08:49, goretsky said:

@Steven P., can I ask where in the United States you were visiting when you were refused the purchase of cigarettes?  

I appreciate that what you said about the vastness of the country, it was either Las Vegas or Seattle (was really a long time ago) but it was in a place where it is absolutely not uncommon for tourists.

In 1991 my ex gf was carded while visiting in the UK trying to buy wine with her meal, the legal drinking age in the UK was 18 and she was 17, she couldn't believe it, because it was so normal to be able to do in The Netherlands, just different cultures at the time. Ironically when the EU states came together after 1992 and 1997 the legal drinking age in The Netherlands became a thing and turning a blind eye attitude was no longer. Restaurants and shops can be fined heavily for selling to underage persons here now (culture shift).

On 07/07/2022 at 04:36, Steven P. said:

I appreciate that what you said about the vastness of the country, it was either Las Vegas or Seattle (was really a long time ago) but it was in a place where it is absolutely not uncommon for tourists.

In 1991 my ex gf was carded while visiting in the UK trying to buy wine with her meal, the legal drinking age in the UK was 18 and she was 17, she couldn't believe it, because it was so normal to be able to do in The Netherlands, just different cultures at the time. Ironically when the EU states came together after 1992 and 1997 the legal drinking age in The Netherlands became a thing and turning a blind eye attitude was no longer. Restaurants and shops can be fined heavily for selling to underage persons here now (culture shift).

I was in UK  around 95-99 and if I get carded u moved to a different  pub/restaurant or bar.

Usually even if one place gives you crap you could get served in the next one.

I was 15 at that time and 19 when I left.

No problem buying alcohol on stores. Also most places served me.

Pretty sure you cant do it nowadays.

I even had a club owner downtown London have a talk with me and then the bouncers always let me in afterwards.. I just had to mention his name. Why? Because this guy did not care. After we talked and found common ground... I had unlimited access to the huge famous tourist night club. It was fun i don't think anyone will be able.to repeat nowadays....

Nowadays for serving underage folks you can get punished for real....

Back then I don't think it was an issue at all.

I was going to mention that I was tall and people sometimes assumed I am older. But my best friend was 14 and short and he was with me .... So it is not like I was not obviously a young teenager