What is the fastest way to transfer datafrom old to new system ?

Hi,
I am getting a new Workstation i-7 12700 CPU & I have lots of data in my old system on many Sata 3, 3.5 inch 3TB HDDs & 3.5 inch 500GB HDDs.

I am not sure if I can just put these HDDs in one of the slots in New workstation & copy - Paste the data or not because of newer & different controllers in new system.

Good news is that there are plenty of latest ports like DP, USB 3.2 Gen2 & USB 3.2 Type C Gen2 on the new system but it has three 512GB NVMe and Three 4TB Sata 3 5400rpm drives. And I need to transfer data from old HDDs to these new drives.

So can you guys suggest the type of adapter cable that I can use to connect to one of these ports & old Sata 3 HDDs that would allow me to transfer data much faster by copy paste ? I am confused with all kinds of such adapters available in the market so I need your expertise.

Many Thanks

• dan99t changed the title to What is the fastest way to transfer datafrom old to new system ?

If your new machine has slot open where you can put in a your old disks, then sure you can just connect and copy the stuff you need off, then remove it and plug in one of your other old drives, etc.

If you do not have slots open in your new system, or you don't want to actually open the case.. Then sure just get cable or dock to connect your old drives via usb.

For example something like this works.

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Lay-Flat-Docking-EC-DFLT/dp/B00LS5NFQ2

• Like 3

On 28/06/2022 at 08:04, dan99t said:

Three 4TB Sata 3 5400rpm drives.

Out of curiosity was there some reason you went with 3 drives vs just say a 12TB drive - think would of been more cost effective to just get single drive, or for that matter 2 8TB in a mirror if what your after is raid?  Did you get some screaming deal on the 3x of the smaller drives? Both for your rust drives and the  nvme?

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/06/2022 at 21:06, BudMan said:

Out of curiosity was there some reason you went with 3 drives vs just say a 12TB drive - think would of been more cost effective to just get single drive, or for that matter 2 8TB in a mirror if what your after is raid?  Did you get some screaming deal on the 3x of the smaller drives? Both for your rust drives and the  nvme?

For data security.

• Facepalm 1

On 22/07/2022 at 07:24, dan99t said:

For data security.

Raid does not provide "security" it provides for not having to restore from backup on a drive failure.  Your files can still be corrupted, deleted, overwritten, infected, ransomware, etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 22/07/2022 at 08:24, dan99t said:

For data security.

Data security has nothing to do with the number drives you have in a system.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1