Intuit (makers of QuickBooks) is getting greedy!

It really annoys me how greedy "Intuit" has become! For my business I use QuickBooks and I typically would upgrade every 4 years ago. The upgrade cost somewhere around $250 as a 1-time payment. 

About a year ago I got an email saying my 2018 version of QuickBooks was no longer supported. I thought, ok I haven't upgraded in a while, why not. I went to their website and was mortified on the price hike

What use to be $250 1-time payment (I'd upgrade every 4 years) is now $349 PER YEAR! (After 4 years that would be $1,396)

I think part of it is, they want to push everyone to the cloud, but sorry, I don't want to have my bookwork in the cloud

That annoyed me so much after being with QuickBooks for 20 years I seriously shopped around for something else. Sadly, all the other companies are following suit and do not offer a something you can buy outright.

So, for now I'm just going to death grip my 2018 version. Which is ok, because it's on its own laptop whose sole purpose is QuickBooks and web browsing is never done on the machine.

It just sits on a shelf all by its lonesome with the lid closed. accessed only via remote desktop on the LAN and open VPN when working remotely.

Yup.... Intuit is scum.  Gave them the middle finger last year (with respect to Quicken).

• Like 3

On 04/07/2022 at 08:38, Jim K said:

Yup.... Intuit is scum.  Gave them the middle finger last year (with respect to Quicken).

I just hope when people search for intuit and QuickBooks this thread shows up in google! :)

On 04/07/2022 at 08:59, margrave said:

I hate Intuit with a passion.

Honestly, I didn't dislike them until they pulled this Sh*t.

This cloud BS annoys me so much. They pull you in with discounts and then when you decide it's not for you, good luck on backing up your cloud stored data locally (defeating the purpose). The only expanded cloud service I have is Office 365 Personal, which started out as 1 free year coupon.

They are laughing because the moment they have your data in the cloud, it's guaranteed income. It is also like these Office subscriptions, that used to be a key that never expired (it simply stopped receiving updates after x years). Now they are online apps on a yearly subscription.

Anyway I also do not like the constant beta apps, which is what online software subscriptions have become, the ship now, maybe fix later mentality.

• Like 4

Because QuickBooks was removing the iif file format, so did my bank. They support OBO, but I tried that and I found it to be such a pain in the ass importing my bank statement every month. So I bought a program called transactions csv2iif. It converts CSV files I can get from my bank into iif files that my 2008 version of QuickBooks support. 

Was a little spendy for my tight ass, but It's an awesome program and without it, I don't know what I would have done, probably would have had to update QuickBooks.

On 04/07/2022 at 09:14, Steven P. said:

This cloud BS annoys me so much. They pull you in with discounts and then when you decide it's not for you, good luck on backing up your cloud stored data locally (defeating the purpose). The only expanded cloud service I have is Office 365 Personal, which started out as 1 free year coupon.

They are laughing because the moment they have your data in the cloud, it's guaranteed income. It is also like these Office subscriptions, that used to be a key that never expired (it simply stopped receiving updates after x years). Now they are online apps on a yearly subscription.

Anyway I also do not like the constant beta apps, which is what online software subscriptions have become, the ship now, maybe fix later mentality.

Yep, the cloud is BS. It's a gravy train and the companies know it.

Our Point of Sale software vendor at work has been trying to push us to an Azure cloud solution. They take care of this, they take care of that. I can see some advantages but what happens with an internet outage?

They want $15K just for the switch over.  If anything I'd be up for a hybrid solution keeping my hardware server in house as a backup so we could at least continue to function in the event of internet outage (which does happen from time to time.)

On 04/07/2022 at 09:41, xrobwx71 said:

Our Point of Sale software vendor at work has been trying to push us to an Azure cloud solution. They take care of this, they take care of that. I can see some advantages but what happens with an internet outage?

They want $15K just for the switch over.  If anything I'd be up for a hybrid solution keeping my hardware server in house as a backup so we could at least continue to function in the event of internet outage (which does happen from time to time.)

That's exactly it. What happens when their site goes down or the internet goes down because of some outage? now I can't do my bookwork.

• Like 2