Question about USB drive and X360

My friend has a 360, and I want to rip some of his DVD collection and put it on a USB drive. Is there any type of restriction as to file system (NTFS, etc) or USB drive size? I have never used a console so I do not know how it works.

on a quick search it sounds like the 360 does NOT support exFat or NTFS so you'd have to have the USB drive formatted FAT32. shouldn't be any drive size restriction that I'm aware.

file format would be the other question/limitation. it can do older SD format containers such as AVI but as for modern containers it's limited to MP4 files with the video codec of MPEG-4 AVC H. 264 and MPEG-4

On 05/07/2022 at 10:35, Brandon H said:

on a quick search it sounds like the 360 does NOT support exFat or NTFS so you'd have to have the USB drive formatted FAT32. shouldn't be any drive size restriction that I'm aware.

file format would be the other question/limitation. it can do older SD format containers such as AVI but as for modern containers it's limited to MP4 files with the video codec of MPEG-4 AVC H. 264 and MPEG-4

Wow, its good that I checked first! I can format FAT32, not an issue. Can the 360 play MKV, or just AVI/MP4?

On 05/07/2022 at 09:39, jnelsoninjax said:

Wow, its good that I checked first! I can format FAT32, not an issue. Can the 360 play MKV, or just AVI/MP4?

no MKV support that I can see.

Yeah the 360 is really starting to show its age; isn't really even good as a media center anymore if you ask me

On 05/07/2022 at 10:40, Brandon H said:

no MKV support that I can see.

Yeah the 360 is really starting to show its age; isn't really even good as a media center anymore if you ask me

I didn't realize just how old the 360 is getting! FAT32 was the first clue, AVI files are generally bigger as well, I was hoping I could at least get MKV, oh well

OK, I was mistaken, he has the Xbox1, but I searched online and found that it has the same limitations on file type, and is still limited to H.264, so I may have to nix the whole idea.