The P Word on Neowin

I don't want to put this in any sort of bug or feature request, but just thought we could discuss it... Why on earth is the p-word for urination still banned on Neowin?

It's weird when I can refer to something as being a "dick measuring contest" vs a "urination match" (since I can't say the word), the former of which I'd argue is more crude, but I've had to use it in absence of a better analogy of a trivial contest. Hell, the only other analogies I can think of might involve the special Olympics, but I think that's probably the least savory. Are we not adults here? Hell, I was 16-17 when I first joined this site. If I was a kid then, I'm definitely ready for a midlife crisis by now! :p

Anyway, I thought words like bastard also used to be banned once upon a time. Just thought it still odd that we have this word banned.  FIguring maybe it's just a cultural thing, I looked up offensiveness of words for the UK, and unless you guys disagree, it's "medium" severity at best. Interestingly enough, when I was in the USAF, the only allowed "swear" words for instructors was the p-word (not that it stopped them, but some because religious about replacing every bad word with the p-word). Suddenly, instead of WTF, you'd hear them saying "WTP trainee!!"

NSFW for those curious: https://www.indy100.com/viral/british-swear-word-ranked-offensiveness-2657274989

Cheers my dudes 'cross the pond. :D

I think maybe meanings have changed over the course of twenty years, but I believe the intention was always to make this a site that can be visited by ages 13 and up, even if I would rather only have "adult" conversations on here. In a way we achieve that in Members Metropolis, because to view it you have to be a subscriber, which means you also paid for it, or at the least got parental consent to pay for a subscription.

I also think we just decided to block crude words. "dick" "measuring" "contest" on their own are not crude, but in a different context they can become crude just like many other words in the English language. I think if you aren't bothered by asterisks while conveying a pointed verbal shot at someone, you could also try to appreciate the length and breadth of the English language that has many words to make it clear to the other person what you think of them or the situation they've presented 😛 

We have relaxed swear words on certain joke threads, because we also appreciate that everyone is effing and blinding in the media these days, it also "transitioned" to memes.

On 05/07/2022 at 18:16, Steven P. said:

I think maybe meanings have changed over the course of twenty years, but I believe the intention was always to make this a site that can be visited by ages 13 and up, even if I would rather only have "adult" conversations on here. In a way we achieve that in Members Metropolis, because to view it you have to be a subscriber, which means you also paid for it, or at the least got parental consent to pay for a subscription.

I also think we just decided to block crude words. "dick" "measuring" "contest" on their own are not crude, but in a different context they can become crude just like many other words in the English language. I think if you aren't bothered by asterisks while conveying a pointed verbal shot at someone, you could also try to appreciate the length and breadth of the English language that has many words to make it clear to the other person what you think of them or the situation they've presented 😛 

We have relaxed swear words on certain joke threads, because we also appreciate that everyone is effing and blinding in the media these days, it also "transitioned" to memes.

I getcha. I was just curious. Moderation used to be a lot stricter back then, I remember people getting warned just for bypassing the filter, but now it's just commonplace as I look around. Made me wonder how bad of a word it really is, since it's most often not even directed at people, compared to calling someone a "dick" or "bitch".